Weird push-up "thing"

wutherhi

Cathlete
Hi All,

I have a question about a push-up modification I've happened on to, and I'm wondering if it will help or if I'm wasting my time.

To give you some background, I've been working out regularly for five years and can keep up with Cathe's strength tapes, for the most part, at the weights Cathe uses. One of the few things I can't do, however, is an on-the-toes push-up. I keep trying and trying, but I can barely do six knee push-ups before I hit failure.

I'm still big--5'10" and 187 pounds, and I was in pretty bad shape (okay, REALLY bad shape) when I started working out regularly for the first time at age 38. I'm also an ex-smoker, which still has a detrimental effect on my physical abilities. I expect that progress will be slower and more difficult for me based on all of these factors. But progress IS happening -- in leaps and bounds! I know I'll never have the strength or stamina of a 20-year-old, but I've made a 1000% improvement over the "old me." So, I just can't understand why a push-up is so darned difficult!

Here's what I discovered, though, about push-ups. If I hook my feet under something, like the bottom of a desk or the underneath of a heavy chair, I can do push-ups 'til the cows come home. For some reason that leverage makes large numbers of push-ups possible for me. I have two questions about this:

1. Physically, why does this make a difference?

2. If I do push-ups this way for a while, will I gain strength that will allow me to do more knee push-ups and eventually work up to real on-the-toes push-ups, or, am I just wasting my time by bringing other muscles to the rescue?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Shari

RE: Weird push-up

Veeeeery interesting. But sorry, I have no clue why this helps. It doesnt seem to be cheating though. I have a reasonably competent background in science and this is a mystery to me. Sorry, Shari.

heres a guess:

By hooking your feet around something, your core area is doing less work to hold you up. And/or perhaps by doing that you are also shifting your weight towards the back end and your legs are helping you. Usually it's my core that gives out before my chest/shoulders area. I also know that placing your feet further apart(like the distance at which you wrap your legs around a the table/chair legs) makes the pushup at little easier to execute, also.

It may be easier because you are leveraging off your legs, and not just using the strength of your upper body and core.

I am not a exercise physiologist, but in just trying to picture what you are doing, I think you may be using more leg and back than the intended muscles. But if it helps strengthen your torso and upper body so you CAN eventually do unassisted push-ups, then why not?

I can tell you that after only being able to do little-girl push-ups, after doing P90X for three weeks I can now do a few big girl push-ups. It's not much, but it's progress!

BTW, I am 5'4" and 165 lbs. I am sure if I weighed less, push-ups would be easier to do.

Good luck!

Susan L.G.

Shari...

Your predicament is fascinating as well as bewildering! LOL! I am going to have to try this method.

I will always believe, till the day I die, that your body weight has something to do with it. And the weight of your boobs!LOL! I can only do a few pushups too (actually, 13 now, thank you P90X) and then have to drop to my knees. BUT, I can bench press over 100 pounds max pretty easily. So, go figure.

I'll let you know after I experiment with your form...:)

Shari
What do you mean hook your feet under can't quite picture this I found that by really strengthing your core was the key for me I can actually do 20 pushups before fatigue gets my form I just rest then start up again all the different hand positions were definitely a challenge in P90Xcould do most but the heart or triangle one was really tough
Lisa

By hooking your legs under a heavy object, you are using your hamstrings to help you "push up", rather than your chest or arms.

:)

You've all given me some great information that is really helping me to understand this. I DO feel this in my legs, from my hamstrings all the way to my calves.

I also have chronic back problems (which strength training has improved dramatically) that do reduce my core strength somewhat and must certainly play a part in why push-ups are so difficult.
When I first started using the Slow and Heavy series, I could only hold a plank for about four seconds (seriously), but I've built up from that to almooooooost holding the position as long as Cathe does and can still walk the day afterward (a little stooped, maybe, but I can move.) :) So there's hope for me yet!

I think I will experiment with using this as a pushup "modification" for a while, just to see if I improve. If not, then I guess I'll call it "cheating" instead of a modification and try something else.

Thanks all,
Shari

Unfortunately, the only way to get to big girl pushups it to do them. It really sucks because it's uncomfortable and tiring and frustrating and HARD!

I decided when I did week two and three of P90X that I was going to make the first two pushups of every push up set Big Girl-style, even if I could only do them shallow, and then do Little Girl pushups for the remainder of the set. I was really surprised to find that I improved from week two to week three in that I could do more, and go a little deeper into the push-ups.

I hate push-ups, and planks too. They've always been hard for me, no matter how strong I seem to get. But if I can do Big Girl push-ups, so can you!

Keep trying, protect your back, and Good Luck!

:7

Best regards,

Susan L.G.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.