Weight question - should I be concerned?

Ladies:

Just back from a checkup at the doc's: I need to know if I should be even more vain than I already am... I am 5'6", wear a size 2 or 4, workout hard (Cathe, etc) almost every day, and I WEIGH 132 POUNDS!x( x( Whaddup??? And my blood pressure is a little elevated for the first time ever. It usually is abnormally low, of course, due to all the working out... I have been doing a modified Eat to Live (modified to include wine - probably too much) and still THIS!!! What do you think, oh wise ones??

What exactly are you telling us - that you've gained weight? Wine certainly does have calories and they can add up.

I'm not sure what you're concerned about. Do you think you weigh too much? Because you sure don't. I think you should ignore the number on the scale. That's what I do;)

I think at that point it's a matter of what feels good for YOU. You certainly don't sound like you have weight to lose, but if you want to lose a few to feel better, that's all you. You don't seem like you would need to at that weight and with the size you wear.

Debbie

"Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time' is to say 'I don't want
to.'" --Lao Tzu

Since your weight has already been addressed I'll tackle the BP. It could just be a simple matter of white coat hypertension. I monitor my BP at home and it is always normal, but every time I have it checked by the doctor it's something totally wild like 170/90. I actually have to monitor my BP at home and report it to my doctor because she has to justify in her records why I'm not on anti hypertensives.

Unless you have a strong family history of heart disease, high BP, or stroke, I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. If you're really worried about it buy a good OMRON cuff style BP monitor and check it at home.

Just for fun I plugged your height and gender into an ideal weight calculator. The recommended weight range for a 5'6" female is 123 to 154 with 139 being the ideal. It looks to me like you don't have a problem here at all.

I am 5'3" and lets just say I I have not seen the 130's for---years!!!
My blood pressure is alway elevated when I go to the doctor's, especially when a cold metal appliance is involved. Have it taken when you are not in a stress situation.

Cheryl

Well, it's just so bizarre for me because over the last 20 years my size has not changed at all. Still can wear clothes that fit in highschool. But my weight has increased over 10 pounds! That's alot of muscle weight, isn't it? It just threw me for a hooley this morning.... I keep thinking that I still weigh 117 - 121 and am indignant when the doc's scale shouts out 130 and 132. Can too much wine cause high blood pressure?

And about the BP - I've had mine taken twice with 10 minutes of each other and have had dramatic differences. 145/95 vs 116/76 (which is my normal) If they are using a stethoscope and the BP cuff, mistakes can be made. Get it read again - maybe in your local pharmacy at one of those machines to see if you get the same reading. If you get the same for a few times in a row, then you have to worry - not before.

Oh, and my Doctor's scale reads 10 pounds more than mine (and my gym scale is the same as mine) - so it's all relative. And 132 at 5'6 is not heavy at all... You have a slim build.

What is "too much wine"? I drink wine and my bp is fine, but when I'm stressed, my bp will go up. Also bc pills are known to increase bp. Like others said, if you're wearing a size 2/4 at your height, I'd be happy. I wouldn't put so much on the number on the scale unless you can see your body significantly changing.

Lisa

Maybe your BP went up b/c you were FREAKING about your weight! If you are 5'6" and wear a size 2 or 4, its hard to imagine you are overweight. Maybe you have packed on an extra 7 pds of muscle and a couple of token pounds of non muscle...ha ha,maybe vascular tissue to feed all the new muscle you have created.

Actually I've read that one drink a day (for women) is healthy, while 2 or more per day can raise your blood pressure. I would check your bp yourself a few times in other situations or at home, most likely it will be back to normal, but if it's still a little high, you could cut back on wine (or cut it out) for awhile to see if that makes a difference. Like many others, my bp is always high in the doctor's office, it's so annoying!

I'm 5'6" and I would KILL to even break 150 again - if I were ever in the 130s, and/or if I ever fit into something below a size 10, I would be sure I'd died and gone to heaven :)

Charlotte,
If it at all helps my scale and doctor's have both jumped 10 pounds just in the last 9 months but my size is the same still here at a comfortable 6 but I have alot more definition}( Got to love Cathe! Trust me if you are working and eating good it is ALL muscle.

I'm 5'7" and I understand your concern. It sounds to me like your weight is fine, but as someone who has always weighed on the low side, and has a very small frame, I would be surprised if my weight went up that high also.

I now weigh 118 lbs, and this is the most I've ever weighed. It's good for me, and I'm okay with it, but even when I drop down to the 115 area, I'm still okay.

I really think it depends on your frame size and body type.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.