Weight plates for barbells

Hi Cathe,
I have been doing lots of your step work and now would like to incorporate the strength training into my fitness program. I ordered a few of your DVDs and now am planninh to buy a barbell. Can u help recommend the weight range for my barbell please. I am 5' , 95lbs.
BTW, i love all of your workout...u are fantastic!!!
Thanks,

:*

Hi, Chutatip! I'm not Cathe, but I'd like to suggest that you invest in a barbell set that has a good array of weight plates in varying poundage, so that you can increase your barbell weights incrementally as you get stronger.

The barbell set brand that Cathe has used often in her productions, and the set that I have, is the Troy Lite system, which you can find on the Fitness First website (www.fitness1st.com). The bar for this set is relatively short (about 4 feet long) and weighs about 5 pounds, both of which make it much easier for petite exercisers like you to manage. You can buy weight plates for this set in poundage ranging from 2.5 pounds per plate up to 10 pounds per plate, and the bar can hold up to 80 pounds total. The plates are held to the bar with easy-to-manage spring clips that you can slip on and off as you need to.

I'd like to suggest, if you're new to strength training, to get this or similar set with varied plate-weightloads so that you can start lighter and work your way up.

Good luck!

A-Jock

I second A-Jock's recommendation of the Troy Lite. One big plus about the system that she didn't mention is that the plates are rubber coated, so they will never rust (I replaced some rusted old iron plates with the Troy Lite system, and it's one of the best equipment purchases I've ever made).

Huge 2nd to everything A-Jock & Kathryn said. One of the best fitness equipment investments I've ever made. Thanks to the help I received here, as I was totally unfamiliar with barbells and their pros & cons. For instance, some of the bars are threaded and require you to screw the plates on & off~not feasible with our Cathe!

Also, www.fitness1st.com has fantastic customer service and SUPER fast shipping. (And no, I'm not affiliated in way/shape/form lol)

~kandy~[/img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif[/img]

Amazon has a beginner barbell for $19.95 and only charged $4.95 shipping when I ordered it. I'm sure it's not of the quality the Troy Lite is, but it works great for what I need it for in Cathe's workouts. The only drawback is that the lightest plate is 8lbs and I had to buy 5# and 2.5# plates at my local Play It Again Sports.

The URL is: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...40-3904745?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846

By the way, this set uses clips, just like the Troy Lite.

Diane

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.