weight loss support check-in?

Is it too

late to join you? I just turned 36 (1/2) - 5'1" about 40 lbs heavier than when I had my baby TWO years ago. I'd love to lose the weight SOON. My husband and I would like to have another baby this year. We are newly married although we have been living together for 4 years. I've decided not to make any drastic changes to my eating habits but to restructure them a bit and stay within certain "healthy" boundaries so that if I became pregnant sooner than I thought it would not send my into a tailspin.

A gentle suggestion:

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-01 AT 10:29AM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-01 AT 10:28 AM (Est)[/font]

And that is: please don't your calories too drastically! You are aiming to lose weight, AND also set up some new habits that you can maintain long-term.

Take it from a LONG, LONG time dieter.....we're talkin' the early sixties....1) Don't let yourself get hungry 2) Leave room for some goodies.

I have found two really good books that all of you may find helpful....Picture Perfect Weight Loss by Dr. Howard M. Shapiro, and Volumetrics by Barbara Rolls, Ph.D. They both promote eating a lot, and tossing in fruit and veggies and whole grain stuff. It isn't necessarily about eating less, it's about eating differently (is that a word?)

The only reason I'm sticking my nose in here is because I've been successful in KEEPING off weight. I've been a yo-yo dieter in the past, gaining and losing the same 20 lbs. for many years until I incorporated the latest nutritional breakthroughs. You can lose it and keep it off by following the same path.

I admire all of you who are taking responsiblity for getting your weight down to healthy levels. Good eating habits and exercise are the magic bullets. Sometimes not fun, but they WORK. It's certainly more fun to eat a box of donuts, but we know that only produces bad results.

We all will be cheering you on, whether we have a lot of weight to lose or not. :D

A gentle suggestion:

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-01 AT 10:23AM (Est)[/font][p]Sorry, double post!

Hi Weight loss support group,
Do we start checking in this Sunday (like the other check-in group)? For example the first weeks check-in would be January 7th and we would give our info of how our week went starting from Dec 31 thru Jan 6? Do we tell what we ate each day or simply if we stuck to our clean eating and what our loss was?
I was gonna join weight watchers this month because I need some support, but now that we have this checkin, I'm hoping this will be all the support I need. Hey, I'm saving a ton of money this way, huh? I will be glad to do it any way you guys want to, I'm just trying to find out what to do and if we start this Sat. or Sun.

Thanks,
Lisa

I was wondering if there was anyone else out there like me who started another resolution on January 1st. If so, the end of the first week would conveniently fall on Sunday the 7th which I think would be a good time to start the first official check-in. Maybe we could all report which workout we did each day, and overall how we rated our clean eating for the week on a scale of 1-5, 5 meaning you totally did a kick butt job. I was also thinking we could all maybe set a goal for the following week, like for instance, I'm going to try to do all 3 sections of Powermax instead of 2 or I'm going to only half the bag of potato chips this week instead of the whole bad (just kidding...but, for real, chips are my weakness!) I'm not sure about checking in actual weights b/c if we're gaining muscle that's going to be inaccurate. We could possibly give an overall number of pounds lost/inches lost maybe at the first of each month just so we all dont get hung up on numbers each week. What does everyone think of that???

Well, I'm off to do MegaStepBlast, just got it in the mail the other day. Wish me luck!

Stacy

Pardon me for being nosey.

Hi Stacy,
I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm trying to do my own little research based on a book I read. You mentioned potato chips are your weekness. Do you tend to carry more weight in the lower half of your body (pear shaped). Again I'm being nosey and you don't have to answer if you don't what to.
Thanks,
Dawn

good ideas

Hi, I like the check-in ideas. I had not given it too much thought. I like the Sunday start thing for the new threads. How about whoever checks in first on Sunday starts the thread for the week? I don't always have computer time everyday and this way it won't fall on one person. Good points about not getting hung up on the scale number. Weely might be too much how about reporting our total weight loss/inches lost at the beginning of the month- for ex? first sun in feb, first sun in march etc.

We can check in as often as we want during the week and for the first check-in each week report how we did the week before. Stacy, I like your 1-5 system for eating.

What do you all think of the above?

Oh, and new people are of course MORE than welcome to join us. Hey the more support the better. I can't get over how many of us want to have babies soon. But for those of you who don't this will still be a nice support group to be in.

RE: Pardon me for being nosey.

I could masquerade as a pear for Halloween without even buying the costume! Be nosey, that's okay...I am, lol.

Stacy

P.S. What sort of research/book are you reading....just being nosey :)

RE: what plan will you follow?

Nikki,

When I got pregnant (son is almost 2 years old, time flies)my doctor put me on a prenatal multivitamin called Zenate. Right now I am taking Centrum. I guess about 6 months or so before we start trying for our second I will start the prenatal vitamins again. I've got at least year before we start trying though. We really need a bigger house unless we are going to hang one of the children from the ceiling...or maybe my husband. LOL!

Kelly

RE: good ideas

Everything sounds good to me. I agree that we shouldn't get hung up on the scales and numbers, etc. The 1-5 rating system sounds good too. Have a great weekend ladies.
Lisa

RE: Pardon me for being nosey.

Hi Stacy,
"could masquerade as a pear for Holloween" Very Cute. I actually could also. I'm working on beefing up my upper body to balance things out though. I have seen some improvements but still have a ways to go.

The books I'm reading are The Body Code and Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet. They claim that there are 4 different glands that control the Body (only three for men). Both books are similar, but of course don't agree on everything.

The big thing they agree on are the types of suggested foods for each type. They both agree that pear shapes will tend to crave chips and salsa or cheescake over candies, dairy or popcorn. A pear shape is generally ovarian driven (there are alot of factors involved in determining your dominent gland)

Some of the things they disagree on are: Dr. Abravanel's book suggest three meals a day without snacking (Yikes) He suggests eating 1200 calories for three weeks, and then 1000 calories for one week and so on while trying to lose weight (double yikes). The Body Code suggests three meals with 2 snacks. He doesn't talk about calories.

Both books give eating and "MOTION PLANS" for each body type and they vary on each. According to The Body Code Ovarians are supposed to do cardio 6 times a week, upper body strength 2 times a week and strecth 3 times a week. No lower body strength since ovarians have naturally strong legs so they get enough leg work during cardio. By the way none of the other body types require as much "Body Motion".

Dr. Abravanel says Ovarians should do 4 days of cardio, 3 days of Upper Body Strengh training. Ovarians should do strentgh training for lower body twice a week but says to keep the weights under 5 or 6 pounds.

Anyway I'm still shifting through the book and trying to decide how much truth there is to it and if I want to try The Body Code Diet plan. I will try the Body Code exercise plan for a 6 week rotation. It sounds right up my alley, I love cardio and upper body work but was never crazy about lower body work. I could never follow the 3 meals a day plan of Dr. A, so I know I won't be trying his plan.

Wow that was a long ramble. Okay Stacy that'll teach to be nosey. ;-)

Dawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.