weight loss/ getting in shape

cbenson

Dear Cathe, I need to lose 30 pounds and have a very protruding belly from my pregnancy's one c section and one v- bac the last few years. Anyway I have finally decided to get serious about getting my body back and cleaned up my eating habits. My quetsiton is how much cardio do I need 20 minutes a day or more? How many times a week? How much should I strenght train? Thanks for your time. Cindy:D

Hi Cindy!
Sorry...I'm not Cathe. I just wanted to tell you from my own experience of getting back my health, I started out slowly. I did 10 minutes at a time, at first. I also started with 2 lb. weights. The main thing is to listen to your body, & don't push yourself to the point of discouragement.It took me a little over a year to get to an intermediate/advanced level. Be patient & don't give up!

I hope Cathe will be able to respond.

Deanna

Well, I'm not Cathe either, but studies have recently been amended to a minimum of 30 minutes a day 4-5 times a week for weight loss, 30 minutes a day 3-4 times a week for maintaining. Obviously you can start out slow, but I wouldn't recommend starting w/10 minutes a day of high impact b/c you have to get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes to burn fat. I would recommend starting out w/something low impact--such as walking--and working your way up to the more intense cardio.

Also diet is critical. There are lots & lots of different diets out there & everyone has their own preference. Mine is Atkins--I lost about 30 lbs in 8 weeks on Atkins & have kept it off for 2 years now.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.