Weight lifting reference book.

JR

Hi Cathe! I'm so curious about what's going on inside my muscles as they develop and become more defined. I'm wondering if you could recommend a good book on weight training principles and theory. Something that could explain the various techniques used to overload a muscle and some information on diet/adding protein. I have looked at men's bodybuilding magazines before and they're just so extreme, I don't think I'll ever be where they are! I guess I want basic SOLID information. Is there some kind of guide or publication for "normal people" who do wieght training? Which leads me to this question: In the beginning of my weight training program I frequently felt that neat burning sensation in my muscles, usually shoulders, biceps and quads, but I really don't feel that happening as much any more and I might be termed "weird" but I like how it feels to have sore muscles the next day. Am I still going to make gains in my muscles if I don't experience that "ultra-cool" burning feeling and next-day soreness in my muscles? Hope all is well, thanks for everything you've done, WE have changed my life for the better!

reference books

Hi, JR (weren't you shot back in the 70s?
wink.gif
) I'm obviously not Cathe, but have some suggestions: Muscle Mechanics by Everet (?) Aaberg. It explains how different types of training work, how the muscles work (the mechanics pars) and, in a final chapter, leads you through setting up your own program, depending on what your goals are. It is published by "Human Kinetics" press, which is a good source of books about kinesiology and biomechanics (basically how muscles work) that are easy to read and approchable by the lay reader. Another good book is "A WOman's Book of Strength" by Karen Andes. She emphasizes correct form over amount of weight lifted, and gives examples of specific exercises. It also contains a lot of "words of wisdom" that give you food for thought.

book/burning sensation in musles

Hi JR! This is a hard one for me to answer since a lot of the books that I read are trade publications or books that are from universities that relate back to some coarses I had in college. I certainly don't want to refer you to these types of books(exercise and physiology, and/or kinesiology, advanced nutrition etc.)since they are generally way too wordy and technical. Also, I have found that it is hard to get all the answers you may be looking for from one source alone. Sometimes you have to read a few.

I know its sometimes hard to pick out and/or filter through the "over the counter" books, magazines, etc. because they are not always reliable sources. For this reason I suggest that you ask around and see if other people have come across any valuable and credible books(thanks for your suggestions Kathryn), plus visit your local library and see if you can find a book that meets your expectations(this way you won't waste any money).

Although I can't recommend "ONE SINGLE" over the counter book that covers all of your topics, I can atleast tell you of a few credible books that have proven to have accurate up to date information.

1) Although this book seems to pertain to women only, it still has good basic information in it...A Woman's Book Of Strength by Karen Andes(I think Kathryn mentioned this too).

2) Fitness For Dummies by Suzanne Schlosberg and Liz Neporent.

3) Weight Training For Dummies, again, by Suzanne Schlosberg and Liz Neporent.

4) Sports Nutrition Guidebook by Nancy Clark

As for your question regarding the burning sensation in your muscles. Yes, that is a "good" feeling but may not necessarily be present for every effective routine you do. Once your body gets acclimated to a type of workout, it may not experience the same initial soreness even though it is still effective. But eventually it will not be as challenging of a workout and thats why it is encouraged that you change your weight workouts around every 8 to 12 weeks. This way you will have given your muscles a good oppurtunity to acclimate, respond, and totally benefit from one rotation before you expose them to another challenge. Good Luck!

correction and additions

When I gave you the references for books, I got mixed up! The description of "Muscle Mechanics" that I gave you actually is a description of "Weight Training Steps to Success" by Thomas Baechel and Barney Groves. A great resource that covers the gamut of weight training info, from physiological considerations (how muscles work---written in clear and non-technical language), to different training techniques, to setting up your program. I first found it at the library.
The book "Muscle Mechanics" is also good, but focuses more on correct techniques for 73 exercises.
Another book I just finished reading is "The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique" by Stuart McRobert (available from www.hardgainer.com ). It takes a very conservative approach to training, avoiding any exercise that MAY be risky for the average trainer, and giving very detailed descriptions and photos showing how to do a variety of exercises for all major muscle groups. It sounds a bit "hard core", coming from a company called "hardgainer", and using a body builder as a model for the exercises, but the info is applicable to anyone who works with weights. After reading the book (which was highly recommended by someone over at VF), I incorporated the advice into my next lower body workout, and I felt that I got more out of it: my glutes and quads really felt worked, but my knees and lower back didn't feel any strain at all. I HIGHLY recommend this book for ANYONE working with weights.

Great Weight training book...

Sculpting Her Body Perfect
It's a great book!

Yes, it is! :)

I just got that one, and it's the best of the many weight training books that I have! Very, very good!
happy.gif

my 2cents (again!)

I'd have to disagree with the recommendations for "Sculpting her body perfect". I read it recently, and was a bit disappointed, since it is from a publisher that I usually recommend (Human Kinetics). While there is some good information in it--mostly for beginners and perhaps intermeditates--the descriptions of exercises don't include many safety tips and are not specific enough. If I'm not mistaken, there are also a couple of photos that show bad form (a hamstring stretch done with a rounded back, for example, which gives a false sense of flexibility, but doesn't work the hamstrings any more than doing it with a flat back). It's not a bad book, but there are much better choices available, including the Karen Andes Book. Just my opinion.

Question for Kathryn on book

I checked out the weight training book on the hardgainer website. It looks good. The excerpt they showed was for bench pressing which used equipment I don't have at home. Will I be able to get something out of this book if I just work out at home with dumbbells, the firm barbell, and my step as my weight bench?
Also, I agree with your recommendation of Karen Andes book. It has helped me look at weight training in a whole new way.
Danielle

One more idea

Hi JR,

If you want a good technical book, the ACE Personal Trainer text book used to prepare people for their certification is a good one. It will explain everything you wanted to know about the muscles plus tons of other great stuff.

It can get a little too technical and it is a little costly but if you are interested you can hunt it down at the ACE website http://www.acefitness.org

As far as the "regular people books"...I have Karen Andes book and the Weight training for dummies and LOVE them both. Both were recommended to me by cyber fitness buddies
wink.gif

happy lifting,
nancy:O)

Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding???

I think this is the title. It is by Arnold Schwartzenegger(spelling???).It comes highly recommended though it is not specifically for women.

Book

Yes, the majority of exercises have different modifications (like a machine exercise and a barbell or dumbbell version).

Arnold's book

I have reservations about this book, though I used it when I was starting weight training in the early 80s. Even though it's been updated, I think a lot of the info applys to people who are genetically gifted for weight training (bodybuilders), and who either are less apt to be injured, or who just see injury as part of the "game".

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.