Weight gain on antidepressants?

Rose11

Cathlete
Hello everybody. For all of you that use antidepressants, I would like to know if any of you have gained weight on them. I recently went to a psychiatrist for the first time in 11 years and she diagnosed me with GAD and PMDD (Bobbi you were right about the second one) and put me on Celexa (I started taking Celexa on Jan 14th.) She said it would help me with both and she also said that she prescribes this medication to her friends and family members because she thinks it has fewer side effects than other SSRIs like Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil. I take 20mg (1 tablet) 7 days before my period and 10mg the other days of the month. I've been reading about the side effects of antidepressants and so far I haven't experienced anything serious although I read I could gain weight (and that's not good when losing weight and trying to lose weight is a constant battle for me and I don't want to gain any more.) I'm curious about what is your experience on this matter and if you've experienced weight gain with antidepressants and found a solution please tell me what you did, or if there's any way to avoid gaining weight. I'm dieting and exercising as usual. I haven't done anything different and so far I haven't gained weight, but I've been having cravings for junk food and I know that might be the Celexa. Anything you know about this might help me. Take care everybody and thank you in advance.

A good friend of mine was on Celexa and did experience some issues w/ weight gain. There are in fact a number of antidepressant that risk weight gain more than others. It is important that you do your research (you can try webmd or even just google) as well as talk with your physician. It is your right and responsibility as a patient to be educated on what you are taking. My friend switched to Cymbolta, which is a newer antidepressant, that is working well for her. You have to find what works for your body with the least side effects.

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

My doctor told me I need to do at least 30 mins of cardio 5 days a week. I think I already do that. I was reading people gain weight on SSRIs because they can (1) slow down metabolism - which I can prevent by doing cardio and weight training, and (2) they increase cravings for carbs, sugars, fats, etc. (all those foods that have a high caloric content and no nutritional value) - I'm trying to work on that because food is my weakness, but every time I get a craving I immediately think and sometimes say aloud "that's the Celexa." I have to be on the lookout for changes in my weight though, because I've been using it for less than a month and I'm afraid I might see changes as the months go by. Thanks for the replies ladies.

I gained weight on effexor mainly because I was seriously craving sweets and carbs in the beginning and was actually eating them. I really believe that giving in to the cravings and hunger is what caused me to gain weight. It was a "speedy" drug for me like how I react to reg coffee and I was always hungry and tired. I am now on lexapro and I didn't experience any cravings on it. Every drug is different. I lost 24 of the 32 pounds that I gained but I also am in my 30s now so I don't know if I'll ever reach 118 again. If you continue to eat normally I think you'll be fine but you'll see as you go along. I do wonder if I struggle to lose more weight because of the antidepressant but who really knows.

>I gained weight on effexor mainly because I was seriously
>craving sweets and carbs in the beginning and was actually
>eating them. I really believe that giving in to the cravings
>and hunger is what caused me to gain weight.

That's what I'm trying to avoid. When I get cravings I try to ignore them or actually eat something healthy instead of junk food. I'm also doing a lot of portion control this year, something I didn't do last year. I already lost a pant size and I don't want to gain all the weight I lost when I know I still have to lose a couple of pounds.

Hi, Rose. Here is a link to an article regarding weight gain on SSRI's. I think being an avid exericse helps to circumvent weight gain. I was put on Seroquel which is supposed to really pack on the poud but I gained only 4. Working out and eating a balanced diet goes a long way toward preventing the kinds of weight gain the average person experiences when put on these medications.
Bobbi "Chicks rule!"http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-032.gif
Tell me what you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/linie/smiley-linie-004.gif

I have been on Celexa at two separate times, and never experienced any weight gain at all. I'm the reverse: I have to remind myself that my body needs feeding. Neither have I found that SSRI's give me cravings for carbs. PMDD did though! Celexa definitely helped with my PMDD, so you are on the right track. I have never cycled between intensities throughout the month and I am not sure it is actually recommended. I wouldn't do it. Once you have gotten used tothe 10 mg dose, going up to 20 mgs for a few days will bring about side efects. You will feel the difference. And then what? you go back down to 10 mgs again and the body has toget used to that again. I couldn't do this. When taking Celexa for PMDD I stayed at 20 mgs throughout. Worked for me. I am not sure that doctors appreciate what is involved in the patient's brain and body when they suggest this strange cycling between doseages. Have they ever tried it themselves?

If you do find yourself with cravings, make sure you load up on veggies and fgruits with good servings of protein. All of these will keep you full and less likely to hit the cookie tin.

Clare

Bobbi - Hi :) Were you trying to post a link? I'm not sure, but if you were it didn't post.

Clare - My doctor told me to take 10mgs the first 7 days I used Celexa and then go up to 20 mgs and stay there but she told me if you feel anything unusual go back to 10 mgs and the day I took 20mgs I was slurring my speech and I took it at 7am and my heart was racing like I was having a panic attack for about 3 hours after that so with her permission I went back to 10 mgs. I'll probably stay with that but I'm not sure how am I going to feel when my period approaches. How was your treatment for PMDD? Were you taking Celexa daily or just a couple of days before your period? Are you still taking it?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.