Wedding cakes too pretty to eat!

BAM

Cathlete
Every now and then I get a craving for a really good piece of wedding cake. These are just so artistic that I don't think I could bare to eat them. I wonder if the cake would taste as good as it looks. If I ever had one of these cakes for my wedding, I think I'd have to have an additional plain old regular wedding cake that I wouldn't mind actually cutting and eating. Ooh, someone pass me some cake! :D ***Warning: If you haven't had breakfast yet, I'd eat first and fill up your tummy before viewing!*** Happy salivating! :p

http://www.delish.com/entertaining-ideas/parties/wedding/wedding-cakes?click=main_sr

Bam

I agree - they are absolutely beautiful. I don't remember anything being remotely that elegant when I got married...or maybe I just didn't look hard enough. I am totally fascinated at the artistry and talent it takes to pull one of those off. I get engrossed in all the cake shows on the Food Network - not only the challenges but Charm City Cakes - cute show.

I hear the fondant is nasty tasting, though, is that true? You don't eat that, you peel it off and eat the cake underneath?

Heidi

Diggin' the peacock!

Every now and then I get a craving for a really good piece of wedding cake. These are just so artistic that I don't think I could bare to eat them. I wonder if the cake would taste as good as it looks. If I ever had one of these cakes for my wedding, I think I'd have to have an additional plain old regular wedding cake that I wouldn't mind actually cutting and eating. Ooh, someone pass me some cake! :D ***Warning: If you haven't had breakfast yet, I'd eat first and fill up your tummy before viewing!*** Happy salivating! :p

http://www.delish.com/entertaining-ideas/parties/wedding/wedding-cakes?click=main_sr

Bam

If it's made out of icing, I want that all to myself - not to save, to eat! Wedding cake icing is one of my guilty passions! To heck with the booze, let me at the cake!

I know a bit about cake decorating and I do it occassionally, including wedding cakes. I guarantee that my cakes taste as good as they look! Fondant is edible but not very tasty. If you know what you are doing with buttercream, you can still make a very beautiful cake!

I hear the fondant is nasty tasting, though, is that true? You don't eat that, you peel it off and eat the cake underneath?

Heidi

I make a homemade marshmallow fondant that is very tasty. The only problem is it is super sweet for some people. In that case, there is butter cream icing underneath:)
I use the marshmallow fondant of cookies too:D

My local bakery uses a very tasty fondant made by Satin Ice.
My family prefers my marshmallow fondant.

I agree with Katie! Fondant is pretty, but tastes nasty. I'm fortunate enough to have an uncle who owns a bakery and makes a mean wedding cake with the best buttercream frosting ever! And he makes sheet cakes, birthday cakes, and cupcakes, in addition to everything else in the bakery. He even makes chocolate covered buttercream filled doughnuts! Luckily, it's a 1/2 hour away or I'd be a house!

My DD loves a show that has a wedding cake competition.
We both love it and yes, there are quite a few that look to pretty to eat, but I doubt that would stop me :p

Makes me want to get married again!! Those are gorgeous. Wonder howl ong they take to make.
I would like to personalize it a little more. Say have the bride using a step or weights & the groom in his recliner. That would nail dh & I to a "T". :rolleyes:

Beautiful cakes. Did anyone else have a Weight Watchers add pop up half way through looking at them?

kgalas - 1/2 hour would not be far enough for me to stay away from a relative's bakery. It would have to be at least 1 1/2 hours away!:D

If it's made out of icing, I want that all to myself - not to save, to eat! Wedding cake icing is one of my guilty passions! To heck with the booze, let me at the cake!

Wellllllll, I'll take both! :p But if a wedding cake is really delicious, I always ask people who don't seem interested in their piece if they're going to eat it. Yep, I have no shame. I'm a cake hound and darn proud of it!!!! :D

Bam

This stuff is like crack to me

WHY ON EARTH DID YOU POST THIS, Bam?? I now need a mop and bucket to clean up all my drool. These are exquisite. I see exactly what you mean about them being too good to cut up. I could look at these all day. When I read the following...

'Edible iridescent orchid pink pearl dust and a hand-piped floral design give this cake its unique beauty. The tiers feature Tahitian vanilla cake with strawberry, white chocolate, and lemon mousseline and dark chocolate cake with espresso, bittersweet chocolate, and hazelnut mousseline'

....I seriously wanted to be alone in the dark with it. Does that make me a bad person? :)

Thank you for sharing this joy.

Bam

You guys are funny! At least our palates have great taste!!!! (Want to insert icon with tongue licking lips here but it's gone. Does anyone know how to create it?)

Bam

WHY ON EARTH DID YOU POST THIS, Bam?? I now need a mop and bucket to clean up all my drool. These are exquisite. I see exactly what you mean about them being too good to cut up. I could look at these all day. When I read the following...

'Edible iridescent orchid pink pearl dust and a hand-piped floral design give this cake its unique beauty. The tiers feature Tahitian vanilla cake with strawberry, white chocolate, and lemon mousseline and dark chocolate cake with espresso, bittersweet chocolate, and hazelnut mousseline'

....I seriously wanted to be alone in the dark with it. Does that make me a bad person? :)

Thank you for sharing this joy.

Well, my post DID come with a warning! :p OMG! That description is killing me. I'm eating my breakfast/lunch and feel the need to finish a BALANCED meal before reading any more here. Must eat clean, must eat clean!!!!! :eek:

Bam

Did somebody say Cake!

I agree with Katie! Fondant is pretty, but tastes nasty. I'm fortunate enough to have an uncle who owns a bakery and makes a mean wedding cake with the best buttercream frosting ever! And he makes sheet cakes, birthday cakes, and cupcakes, in addition to everything else in the bakery. He even makes chocolate covered buttercream filled doughnuts! Luckily, it's a 1/2 hour away or I'd be a house!

I so want to come over!

Those cakes were beautiful, I was really impressed with the artistry.

Gorgeous cakes but I am most interested in the frosting...

IMHO, cake is just a vehicle for the frosting. These are clearly "fancy" vehicles :) LOL!!

I love frosting and have, on more than one occassion, made a small batch of buttercream to eat. :eek:

I'd better eat my lettuce, chicken, and rice vinegar ASAP before I let that frosting craving set in :eek:

Lisa

RapidBreath, come on over! We can have a Cathe get together at the Donut Hole in Warren, MI:)

Lisa, when I take my 3 dds to my uncle's bakery and he's decorating cakes, he takes the buttercream tube and squirts it in their mouths! My favorite is the part of the cake you cut off covered in buttercream-heaven! Now I really want the cupcake he made that my 9 year old is saving for after dinner!

RapidBreath, come on over! We can have a Cathe get together at the Donut Hole in Warren, MI:)

Lisa, when I take my 3 dds to my uncle's bakery and he's decorating cakes, he takes the buttercream tube and squirts it in their mouths! My favorite is the part of the cake you cut off covered in buttercream-heaven! Now I really want the cupcake he made that my 9 year old is saving for after dinner!

I think we need to take the red eye over pdq!!!! I LOVE the corner parts of the cake drenched in frosting. Oh, this is SO not good. I'm going to a birthday party tonight but the cake they're having is one that I don't like. I think someone is being mean to me right now! :mad:

Bam

Klaudia, can you take me to your uncle's bakery too??!! LOL!

Those are gorgeous!! WOW! Fortunately I can take or leave cake, so I'm fine there. :D

Have you ever seen www.cakewrecks.com? It's a blog that can leave me howling at times. On Sundays she lists the pretty cakes, but the rest of the week, not so much.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.