Wavy hair - how do I get it??

pixie9

Cathlete
I've noticed that there are quite a few knowledgeable curly haired women here and I thought I'd direct my question at them (or anyone who knows, really).

Here's the deal: I have really long (down to the mid back), curly hair with long layers. When I wear it curly (after diffusing it) it's rather huge the first day and then limps out the second day (but still manages to look like a tangled rat's nest!!??). It slowly degrades into said rat's nest until I wash it and start the cycle over. To avoid the problem I usually blow dry it straight. This 'look' lasts for around 3-4 days. Problem is, I broke my European hair dryer and I don't want to buy another one because I may be moving back to the states sometime soon. And also, I'm just plain sick of blow drying it.

I really want a 'soft wavy' look but I'm not sure how to achieve it. When I diffuse it, it gets HUGE. And when I let it air dry, it's somehow limp/curly/frizzy underneath (I've been using curly products from Aveda either way). I'm getting really frustrated with it lately and I'm thinking of cutting it all off. HELP!!

Carolyn

May I direct you to http://naturallycurly.com - the online bible of all things curly and wavy haired. :):):)

Love your hair - don't straighten it! I would gladly trade my waves for your curls!

Hopefully you can find yourself a good stylist who specializes with curly hair. You might have to pay a few more $$$ for that, but I"m sure it wouldbe workth it. If you see a curly haired person whos hair you like, ask them where they get it cut.

Not much advice I know, but hopefully something to get you started? I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable ladies here can give you better advice.

:)

Susan L.G.

After you wash, towel dry and apply product, comb your hair straight.
Make sure that the product you are using is distributed from about three inches from your scalp to the ends.. if your hair is particularl dry or frizzy then apply some of the product on the roots as well.. section the hair when applying to make sure you get full and even distribution.

If you don't, then the areas that you missed will show when its dry lol :)

If you hair is wavy to curly combing will help relax the tightness of the curl.
Do not diffuse upsidedown as this creates volume. If you need to get some moisture out then hold the diffuser up against the roots, or hold the hair against the diffuser.

Do not scrunch and make sure the setting is hot, but on LOW. Or just air dry.

You can put your hair into a braid if you like, especially once its mostly dry or at night as it will act with your naural curl to maintain texture and not fall out or frizz too much.

Honestly, I have some of the best waves you can get, but NONE of them are natural and if I told you my routine you'd croak :) .. but I only do it about once a week so it's worth it to me.

***After your hair is dry Id say take THREE MINUTES with a small-med barreled hot iron and take medium sections of your hair and twist them around the OUTSIDE of the barrel***

That is actually the biggest secret. If you hair is straight, wave, frizzy, curly-- whatever, do that and you will have lovely waves. Obviously having as little frizz as possible is important for them to look nicer, longer.

I can't really tell by your photos your texture and I didn't see any of the curls, but Id make sure to use a product that just a tad on the thicker side to help control the frizz and tighness of the curl.

Err.. hope I was clear and not leaving you with a ? Hair is a pain in the a** that's for sure, but sounds like you go a few days between washings so try it.. once you do it a couple times you'll figure out what works best and how to get it done in much less time and then you'll love it!

THANK YOU ladies!! :)

Susan - I'll check out that website. I do *want* to love my hair. Sometimes it's just well, difficult. LOL!

Pebblesus - you've given a LOT of good advice. I'll try your trick with the hot iron - I've never heard of that one. And I like the braid idea. Since I no longer have a blow dryer, I think I'll go that route. You're right about hair being a HUGE pain. I'm so envious of women who can just wash and go. Do they know how lucky they are!!?? :)

Carolyn

I've discovered over the past 2-3 years how much my shampoo/conditioner matters! If I use one, my hair is straight and blah. If I use a different one, it is all silky and still straight but not lifeless.

That also depends on how long my hair is. If it's shorter my hair curls if I put product in. :)

I don't ever blow dry my hair since I'm usually in a rush and end up sweating after I get out of the shower if I use the hair dryer! So for me air drying works; it dries wavier if I don't comb it after I get out of the shower and let it drip dry.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.