Watch the 2013 Cathe Road Trip Live!

That's something controlled totally by Ustream, but all you should really need to do if you have a slow connection is to let the video completely finish downloading and then press play.

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately there is no way to see the status of the download, so I would never know when it's done. Sometimes I waited for several minutes (10-15?) and there was no visible change (unlike on YouTube, for example, where there is a bar that shows how much more has been downloaded ahead of your current spot in the video). I assumed that at least another couple of minutes would have downloaded within those 10 or so minutes, but when I clicked play, only a few more seconds had downloaded. But I will definitely try it again, and maybe leave it alone for a couple of hours before I come back to it. :)

How to Stop Your Cathe Live Player From Stalling

FlashSettings-160x100.jpg

If you have a slow internet connection here is what you can do to watch without stalling:

You can not actually download a streaming video to your hard drive. Instead whenever you watch a streaming video it is "downloaded" to your Flash Player's cache. You can think of this as a water tank with a spigot to let water out to your cup and a hose that continually fills the tank. The purpose of the tank is to store water so that if the hose filling the tank is ever interrupted you can still get a drink of water from the tank reserve.

In the case of streaming when you click on "play" the video will first start to download to your Players buffer and after a few seconds the video will then begin to play. Your buffer is your player's reserve tank and this will help to keep the video playing smoothly even if the stream is interrupted, just like in the water tank example above.

How to Increase Your Flash Player's Buffer

To set the amount of video that Flash Player will buffer (the software used by Ustream to play video) first go to Cathe Live and select the recorded video you want to watch. Then right click on the playing video and choose "Settings" from the list that pops up. Click on the third tab at the bottom of the small Flash window that will pop up. Adjust the slider to the right...10MB should be a sufficient amount to enable the video to play back smoothly without pausing. If necessary, though, slide it all the way to the right to enable unlimited buffering. Click on the "Close" button and your settings will remain for the Ustream website (but not for other websites you may visit). If after clicking play you still have a stalling problem, wait a few minutes and then try again.

Also, you should make sure your browser is up to date and you're running the latest version of flash.

Thanks again for the help, but I just don't think it's going to work for me. I increased the slider to 10MB, and I actually left it on a page with one of Cathe's road trip videos overnight since I didn't have time to test the video again until this morning. Coming back to it, the blue "playback bar" was all the way to the right, as though it had finished playing, even though it the player was paused when I left it. So I dragged the circle all the way back to the left to start playback from the beginning... but nothing. It was like the download was attempting to start all over again. I even changed the Flash setting to "unlimited" after that, rather than 10MB. Then, I waited a few minutes with the player paused, and I finally got it to play for a few seconds. Then I left it paused again for longer than just a few minutes and could - for the first time - see that there was a light gray progress bar creeping out beyond the blue playback bar. I waited until I saw even more of the gray bar then hit play. Even before the blue playback bar reached the end of the gray download progress bar, the video was skipping and stopping with the blue "loading" circle appearing in the middle of the playback screen.

I do appreciate the help. If it makes a difference, I have the latest MacBook Pro Retina 15" running an up-to-date Chrome browser. I also was not downloading anything else at the time. I just ran a speed test which said my download speed was 1.5 mbps. Is it possible Firefox would work better? Or Safari? I usually have better luck using Chrome for everything.

Thanks again for the help, but I just don't think it's going to work for me. I increased the slider to 10MB, and I actually left it on a page with one of Cathe's road trip videos overnight since I didn't have time to test the video again until this morning. Coming back to it, the blue "playback bar" was all the way to the right, as though it had finished playing, even though it the player was paused when I left it. So I dragged the circle all the way back to the left to start playback from the beginning... but nothing. It was like the download was attempting to start all over again. I even changed the Flash setting to "unlimited" after that, rather than 10MB. Then, I waited a few minutes with the player paused, and I finally got it to play for a few seconds. Then I left it paused again for longer than just a few minutes and could - for the first time - see that there was a light gray progress bar creeping out beyond the blue playback bar. I waited until I saw even more of the gray bar then hit play. Even before the blue playback bar reached the end of the gray download progress bar, the video was skipping and stopping with the blue "loading" circle appearing in the middle of the playback screen.

I do appreciate the help. If it makes a difference, I have the latest MacBook Pro Retina 15" running an up-to-date Chrome browser. I also was not downloading anything else at the time. I just ran a speed test which said my download speed was 1.5 mbps. Is it possible Firefox would work better? Or Safari? I usually have better luck using Chrome for everything.

I also have a MacBook Pro. Can you please tell me how you download those workouts on to your Mac? I only have my MacBook Pro a few weeks. I can't figure it out? Thanks in advance!

I also have a MacBook Pro. Can you please tell me how you download those workouts on to your Mac? I only have my MacBook Pro a few weeks. I can't figure it out? Thanks in advance!

I'm not actually downloading them in the sense that the video is saved to my computer to view offline later. (In fact, it would be great if I had that option!) When I say "download" I only mean that in order for the video to play at all, it has to download a little bit at a time in order to play it. I probably should be saying "streaming" rather than "downloading." The problem I've been asking about is that the videos aren't downloading/streaming well enough for me to watch them at all.

So don't worry, you aren't missing out on any special features because you have a Mac! :)

I'm not actually downloading them in the sense that the video is saved to my computer to view offline later. (In fact, it would be great if I had that option!) When I say "download" I only mean that in order for the video to play at all, it has to download a little bit at a time in order to play it. I probably should be saying "streaming" rather than "downloading." The problem I've been asking about is that the videos aren't downloading/streaming well enough for me to watch them at all.

So don't worry, you aren't missing out on any special features because you have a Mac! :)

Thank you for responding so quickly:D I am glad I am not missing out on any special features on a Mac;)

Cathe/SNM i want to thank you all for allowing those of us that cannot make the RT to be able to watch. I think this year's classes were the best by far, I could really see everyone's energy.

The quality was so much better than in previous years, so clear and crisp. Thanks again for coming up with option, the Rt looked really awesome!!!! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.