Washing Machines and Dishwashers

I will be in the market for these two appliances in the near future and I wanted to poll everyone for their opinions for the best ones to get. I never had a problem with a washing machine until my last one - a Samsung - that rusted all around the bleach dispenser. So, now I'm going to be more wary.

Thank you for your opinions!

I will be in the market for these two appliances in the near future and I wanted to poll everyone for their opinions for the best ones to get. I never had a problem with a washing machine until my last one - a Samsung - that rusted all around the bleach dispenser. So, now I'm going to be more wary.

Thank you for your opinions!

I will never buy Samsung again. I bought a Samsung dishwasher, supposedly top of the line. Didn't read the reviews (my bad) and it was toes up in less than two years. Read the reviews (finally) and found out that everyone had the same problem.
I love Whirlpool products. Have had a Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer for 9 years without a problem. They were expensive, but so worth it. I now have a Whirlpool dishwasher and love it. Good luck in your search!

My next washer and drier will be a Speed Queen set. I have had my Maytag (top loading) machines since 1996, took me right through the era of front loaders and all the newer models that even weigh the load and figure out how much water. I want to be able to open the top lid when I want, soak things overnight (can't do that with a front loader) and set my own times. In other words, the least frills, but I want the most speeds such as hang-dry (lots of technical clothing) to hand wash. They are made in Wisconsin, and have a five year warranty. Highly rated by consumer guides. https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx?mn=AWNE82SP113TW01#build-your-own

I have never been disappointed by KitchenAid products, our refrigerator lasted 16 years, and left it with the house in perfect running order when we moved. Same with the microwave and dishwasher. In my current house I bought KitchenAid again, and they have been flawless since 2005.

Thank you DirtDiva! I was born and raised in Wisconsin! Whoohooo! I, too, am a fan of top loaders rather than the front loaders -- just something about that makes me nervous. I will check this out.

Thank you DirtDiva! I was born and raised in Wisconsin! Whoohooo! I, too, am a fan of top loaders rather than the front loaders -- just something about that makes me nervous. I will check this out.

I agree, never had a front loader. Love my top loader! A few years ago, my sister had a Maytag Neptune. (front loader) She got rid of it because the gasket that seals the door was full of mold, that she couldn't clean.

Last edited:
I was born and raised in Wisconsin!
They have been making them there since 1908!! I love Wisconsin, you are right next to me (Minnesota) I'm there several times a year riding some of my favorite trails. My avatar is a photo from a November ride at Namekagen cluster trails in the Cable area.

I agree, never had a front loader. Love my top loader! A few years ago, my sister had a Maytag Neptune. (front loader) She got rid of it because the gasket that seals the door was full of mold, that she couldn't clean.
This is what I'm afraid of, that mold or smell that has plagued some of the models, but the one deal breaker for me, is I really need to be able to soak things, omg some of my clothes are so muddy there is no way out of soaking.

I have the Whirlpool Duet Sport front loader. I've had it at least 9 or 10 years. Never an issue with odor or mold. It works great. The only con I have found with front loaders is the cycle seems to be longer than top loaders.

My husband and I will soon be in the market for a new dishwasher and oven/stove......I was told to ask the maintenance man which one he would rather work on, or had worked on the least.

The newer top loaders without an agitator are nice. I just bought an LG one. only used it once so far, but it worked well. the energy efficiency and water use are quite good compared to old top loaders. I know too many people who hate their front loaders with mold, smells, and not using enough water to get things clean. the dryer is also an LG. I looked at consumer reports for failure rates, LG was good. also read reviews on Lowes and Home Depot websites.

Our GEs from 2012 died in FOUR YEARS.....turns out in 2010 or so , they sent their parts manufacturing to Korea and lost some quality control and repair rates soared (according to our local repair guys)....got the Samsung Fridge and its great as are the washer and dryer (front loaders)....also Samsung. but the old Kenmore that came with our house in 2001 is still purring like a kitten in the garage, never a repair problem!

My washer broke last week, I have a front loader. Everything melted inside. I never had a problem with front loaders before. I just got the a phone call, Reading this thread makes me rethink buying another one. I will check out the Speed Queen set. Thanks for the recommendation.

Most of mine are GE appliances except my dishwasher is Whirlpool. I don't have any issues with either of these brands.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.