vitamin for women over 40

lulu68

Cathlete
Hi!

Any vitamin recommendation for women in there mid 40's? I'm looking one total vitamin that will target everything, rather than taking multiple vitamins. Thank you!

Lulu

I would like to find a good one too. I seem to take enough vitamins and supplements to constitute a small meal. I don't even know if they do anything at all!

I started taking one called Post-Natal by First Response. I'm nowhere near Pre or Post-Natal, but it has alot of stuff in it, but not too much. The only thing the gummy version I take is lacking is Iron, but I'm a carnivore so that isn't an issue for me.

I take One a Day Women's and a supplement of Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc (one tablet). I was just taking the regular vitamin but after reading Cathe's article about magnesium (sorry that I don't have the link!) I decided to tack it on along with Calcium since I'm 46 and know bone health is really important. Hope that helps! :)

but after reading Cathe's article about magnesium (sorry that I don't have the link!) I decided to tack it on along with Calcium

Here's Cathe's most recent post on magnesium...
http://cathe.com/magnesium-can-impact-exercise-performance-2

If you do a search for magnesium under the Fitness Tips link (on the black bar across the top of cathe.com - then select Nutrition from the drop down choices) you'll find Cathe has written 5 more articles on the importance of magnesium and getting it from whole foods. Here's one of these articles with some helpful suggestions of specific foods rich in magnesium...
http://cathe.com/10-foods-to-boost-your-magnesium-levels

I use Vitamin Code Garden of Life 50 & Wiser Multi and Nordic Naturals Complete Omega. I tried the food only approach. I wasn't getting enough of something because I was exhausted all day every day. Now I have energy.

When I was in my 40s (now 57 and post-menopausal) I took One A Day, like Kathydaffy. I took this one because it had the most iron of the multi-vitamins. I found this helped with fatigue and my iron levels tended to be low. Also, my diet wasn't super great at that time, so I found a multi-vitamin gave me that insurance.

And, like Kathydaffy I take a calcium and magnesium supplement. Where I am doing better with my diet now, that is the only vitamin I take at the moment. My pharmacist and my doctor suggested the calcium, especially since my sister has osteoporosis and she is only in her 60s. I think what you take can depend on your own individual needs and your diet.

Good luck Lulu68 finding something good for you.

I take other supplements too, but my favorite multivitamin/multimineral supplement is One A Day Women's Pro Edge.

It's pretty difficult to get everything necessary from a pill, especially minerals like calcium and magnesium. I wouldn't supplement with calcium though. Magnesium will nearly always have to be supplemented along side a multivitamin, and the type of Magnesium is critical, because some (oxide and sulfate are two) just aren't assimilated well into the body. Problem with a lot of vitamins is they don't dissolve well enough in the gut, they just pass through. There is that joke about the Centrum plop when a patient has an enema before surgery. Unfortunately, quite a few multi's are like Centrum, not to mention the quality of the ingredients. Take a look at MegaFood Over 40 for Women
https://megafood.com/store/en/women-s-health/
Great company and they are still independent, as in not owned by the big food conglomerates.

DirtDiva, I was taking the megafood Cal, Mag +Pot for awhile and I can second that it is an excellent product. I just wish they were a little easier to swallow. lol. They are huge!

DirtDiva, I was taking the megafood Cal, Mag +Pot for awhile and I can second that it is an excellent product. I just wish they were a little easier to swallow. lol. They are huge!

I'd like to edit my above comment on supplementing with calcium because its a very complicated issue. Megafoods Cal/Mag is awesome and I've used that before on long races to avoid cramping along with salt stick. Supplementing only with calcium is tricky and one needs the balancing act of Vit D, Mag & Potassium to go along. Then on top of the Vitamin D, Vitamin K2 is incredibly important. You read this from time to time that you shouldn't over due the Vitamin D because of poisoning, but that is a result of calcium not being directed properly. Vitamin D flushes out calcium into the blood which leads to other consequences.

What I'd like to say plainly is that too much calcium from poor sources deposits itself into the soft tissues of the body, namely the epithelial lining of the blood vessels and the heart. This also leads into the discussion of heart attacks, which is another topic that doctors don't want to talk about, they just want you on a statin. Cholesterol doesn't cause heart attacks, that is vastly simplified. There are enough women out there that have had mammograms and the docs say there is calcification in there and we have to remove it and biopsy that...I was one of those women and it nearly killed me (the stereotacticle needle punctured my lung and on the third pass it broke inside of me causing me to hemorrhage). The calcifications were biopsied, all of them calcium, no cancer.

I'd say that was the turning point for me to learn a lot about the junk that is peddled to us as women. Especially heaping amounts of calcium products like dolomite (lead) among other things. Not to mention bone density tests, don't get me started there.

Anyway, back to your original point (sigh, why can't I stay on topic)....I agree about the size. You have to make out like a great white shark and open up!

Hi!

Any vitamin recommendation for women in there mid 40's? I'm looking one total vitamin that will target everything, rather than taking multiple vitamins. Thank you!

Lulu

My journey with multivitamin supplements was quite a long one, and I have to admit was not very satisfying for my pocket or body. To be honest the amounts asked are ridiculous and most of them are not even natural but synthetic, let alone the fact that all these complexes are not necessarily for your health. With all this in mind it was quite hard to trust another company that promoted such products and I would never expect to see the results I saw from www.biotingummies.org and in such a short period of time. The way Biotin is playing a major role in our health is more than enough compared to any vitamin complex.

Last edited:
Undoubtedly, one a day woman is the best supplement. However, according to my knowledge OMEGA-3 would be more beneficial particularly in pre and post menopausal stages.

Every woman is different, but the vitamin that has worked for me is GNC Women's Multivitamin Active Without Iron. It has all the B vitamins for energy and none of the iron which is not required after no longer having a period. I love this vitamin, and can always tell a difference when I have accidentally skipped taking it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.