Vita Mix, anyone?

ms71069

Cathlete
After watching the Jack Lalanne (sp???) juicer infomercial the other day, I'm really wanting a juicer. I saw a mention on here about the Vita Mix and was really surprised at the price. Why is it so expensive, and is it worth the cost???

TIA!

I don't think the VitaMix is a juicer. I think it is a powerful blender. I don't have one but that is what I believe. You will get lots of replies I am sure as many here have them and love them.

So does that mean that you can't throw a whole apple in the Vita Mix? Educate me, someone, please!:confused:

The Vita Mix is my second favorite appliance! :D (The first is a Keurig coffee maker, but that's a whole 'nother story!!)

The Vita Mix makes juice, so it could be called a juicer, but it's a 'whole food' juicer - you throw EVERYTHING edible into it and it liquefies it, so you get the whole value of the food: fiber, vitamins, etc. With a traditional juicer, the machine removes the juice and seperates out all the pulp, which you then throw away. (Though I have a friend who uses it in baking and composting, so it can have its uses.)

I grew up with a Vita Mix - it lasted for YEARS! My mom gave it to me after I graduated from college. I ended up buying my own - the older one had a metal container and I wanted the clear one - and gave the old one to another relative.

Yes, you can throw a whole apple in, if you want to. Personally, I don't want to eat the seeds (they can have toxins in them) but that may just be my paranoia :) I've made tons of smoothies, soups, sauces, and spreads and never had a bad experience. It's the BEST for slushie adult beverages, too!;)

They have a container with a blade that will grind grain into flour, if you're interested in that, as well.

Last edited:
I have a $40 Oster blender and it

liquefies everything I put in it. Frozen fruits to make smoothies, spinach and baby carrots, kiwi, apples, bananas. I have been using mine since November of last year and have had no problems.

So, you do not have to spend a fortune to get the benefit.

LOL! My Keurig brewer is my best friend...I couldn't imagine my life without it!:eek::D

The Vita Mix is my second favorite appliance! :D (The first is a Keurig coffee maker, but that's a whole 'nother story!!)

The Vita Mix makes juice, so it could be called a juicer, but it's a 'whole food' juicer - you throw EVERYTHING edible into it and it liquefies it, so you get the whole value of the food: fiber, vitamins, etc. With a traditional juicer, the machine removes the juice and seperates out all the pulp, which you then throw away. (Though I have a friend who uses it in baking and composting, so it can have its uses.)

I grew up with a Vita Mix - it lasted for YEARS! My mom gave it to me after I graduated from college. I ended up buying my own - the older one had a metal container and I wanted the clear one - and gave the old one to another relative.

Yes, you can throw a whole apple in, if you want to. Personally, I don't want to eat the seeds (they can have toxins in them) but that may just be my paranoia :) I've made tons of smoothies, soups, sauces, and spreads and never had a bad experience. It's the BEST for slushie adult beverages, too!;)

They have a container with a blade that will grind grain into flour, if you're interested in that, as well.

If you do a search for "vitamix," there are at least a couple of fairly recent threads about it.

I have one, and use it at least once a day.

A Vitamix (or a Blendtec, another high-powered blender) is a staple appliance in raw-food kitchens. Though a lesser-powered blender may do some of the things a Vitamix can do, a Vitamix does what it does very quickly. It also has a very powerful motor that is not detered by hard-to-blend ingredients that can make other blenders' motor burn out.

It will blend fruit and fibrous veggies (like kale or celery) into a smoothie. It will blend veggies into sauces. You can make a tasty marinara blending fresh tomatoes, soaked sun-dried tomates and other ingredients into sauce.

It can be used to make 'juice' by straining the results of the above mixture (using a 'nut milk bag' or cheese cloth).

It can make frozen treats by putting frozen fruit in with other ingredients, or fruit with ice cubes.

It can make nut butters by blending nuts.

You can make hot soups by blending ingredients until the friction of blending heats up the mix.

You can make non-dairy dips and 'creams' and such by blending cashews, macademia nuts or pine nuts (soft nuts and seeds) with a bit of water and other ingredients.

It can make nut milks by blending nuts and water.

It's extremely durable, and comes with a 7-year warranty (which you can extend to 10 years for $75). I know of several people who have had theirs for many years (15-20) with no problem.

It works very quickly to do what it does.

IMO, it's worth the cost.

Never really wanted one and never gave it much thought but Kathryn I think you just sold me a VitaMix! I have a friend whose boyfriend never gives her a present for any occasion. She came home recently and there it was. He bought her a VitaMix. I like him better now.

I have to agree with Kathryn's review!
My Vita-mixer was worth the money:D I didn't really want to spend that kind of money on a small kitchen appliance but my sister(the most frugal person I know) convinced me.
I was going through blenders because they always broke down and leaked. The cheap blenders can't handle heavy use or heavy blending.

I've had my vita-mixer for several years now and it takes a beating. I think my model is 1hp. It's pretty loud but it can take anything I put in it. I use it to make nut flour. It is the most used appliance in my kitchen.
It is a costly investment, but it pays for itself over time.

I have the juicer you are looking at and my parents have the Vita Mix. I would definitely go with the Vita Mix. I don't use the juicer at all. It is packed in the pantry. The Vita Mix is on their kitchen counter. It is more money, but, well worth the investment.

Are they available in retail stores (Bed, B &B, for instance) or only through Vita Mix itself?
I think you have all convinced me that I really NEED one!!!

We have a VitaMix and love it. The other night DH and I were going to make a salad but we didn't feel like chopping everything so we threw all in the Vita Mix (spinach, celery, carrots, red pepper, tomatoes, leek, sprouts, broccoli, even garlic and a little milk). Very yummy.

Joanne

One thing about buying Vitmix from other sellers: sometimes they don't have the 5000 models, which are the variable speed ones. I had a non-variable speed one previously (just on/off, low/high) and it was so annoying, because when I would stop the blender to taste, and add more ingredients then reblend, all the stuff in the blender would shoot to the top and sometimes come out the sides of the cover. The variable speed took care of that.

Thanks, Kathryn! I was wondering what the difference was between the models...that clears it up perfectly!

The Vita-Mix website also offers three payments, which will help me be "sneak" it into my house a little easier...my DH, although I know he would love it once it was here, would have a hard time spending that much money on a suped-up blender!!!

Vita Mix deal

I have a Vita Mix and love it! If you are looking for a "deal", one thing to consider is to request to have a refurbished vita mix. This is a show mixer that has been refurbished and comes with the same exact warranty as the new ones. I have only seen the Vita Mix sold via internet, mail, or at a home show, like the Easten States Expo. When you have see a demo on one, it is fantastic! The demo I saw had this guy actually put carrots in when he was making ice cream "for color" and the kids couldn't tell when they tasted it! If you ever saw a demo, you would be amazed at what you can do! And so easy to clean! The man made peanut butter, ice cream, salsa, soup and dip. He put in whole fruit and vegetables like stated above. For soups, he just let it run for a bit and it did heat up. It's designed that way! One time I was out of confectioners sugar to make my favorite chocolate buttercream frosting, and I used my vita mix to make confectioners sugar! I purchased the add on for grinding dry grains. I believe with my savings from purchasing the show mixer, I purchased the griding add on.

See if you have any type of home shows around you that demo the vita-mix. You might get an additional deal too!

Julia

One thing about buying Vitmix from other sellers: sometimes they don't have the 5000 models, which are the variable speed ones.

Yes! Good point Kathryn. Mine is the variable speed. I love that option and use it all the time. :)I did buy it from a dealer- not vitamix.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.