virus alert

likes2bfit

Cathlete
Just wanted to let people know that I was hit by a virus yesterday, and to be aware.

If you get an email that looks official from AOL about "you've got pictures" it may be a hoax. It was on my email, I clicked it and it nothing happened. Later when I tried to sign on again, my account was frozen. AOL had frozen it because my screen name had sent out numerous questionable emails without my knowledge. It is fixed now.

Jeeze, I feel so violated!

Judy

Sorry to hear about your problem Judy. It is definitely frustrating isn't it?

My hubby taught me to always first look at the file extensions of attachments I receive in email. While a general rule, there are some files that are generally ok - picture files (.gif, etc), some of the movies. He said in particular to watch out for any programs with a .exe extension (a program that is executable). I think .swf was also on the list of "programs" to be careful about.

I know if I receive any attachments that I don't recognize the file extensions to (I know .doc, .xls, etc), then I don't open them unless I can virus check them first.

I'm so glad to hear you were able to get the problem fixed!

Hang in there!

:D

Also be carefull of those worms you can get those just by going to a website, I got the Welchia Twice and two trojan horses by just going to websites. And make sure you update your virus protection every Thursday and then run your scan once a week.

WHAT! ????? You can actually get a virus/worm from visiting a website? Oh, no! :eek::eek::eek: I just looooove surfing the web sometimes looking for information and now I am scccaaared....especially from my home 'puter! :eek::eek::eek: ;(

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lach.gif[/img]

you should be ok as long as you keep your virus protection upto date everyweek. It was just my dumb luck that three weeks LOL.

Uhum...my new computer DOES NOT:)o ) have virus protection. I don't want another bill!!! Ahhh! How much is it to get the McAffee whatchamacallit? :p

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lach.gif[/img]

ok there are some other things you can do, you can right click on you network neighborhood and then right click again on your area network of whatever you are using that should bring up a dialog box, then you want to click on the connection you are using then go to advanced an enable your firewall. I use Nortons and it costs about the same as Mcaffee, I pay about $39.00 for it online then after that the upgrades are $29.00 every year. I know it is expensive but after what happened to me, I had to re-install my windows 3 times in just three weeks. Not to scare anyone, I have never had any trouble till just recently.

Norton Antivirus is good. The yearly fees are very affordable (under $20.00) and is definitely worth it. Try it out!

I agree with the Norton Antivirus. You set it up to update in the middle of the night once a week, and update your virus definitions when it tells you to. It couldn't be easier. It has caught and quarantined two viruses so far. Totally worth the money...

Please keep your virus protection updated, I was visiting a fitness website and got hit with another trojan horse! but I was lucky this time my Norton's caught it and deleted it before it could infect my computer! It is worth the money for these virus protection programs. I only wish they can take these Hackers and slap stiffer penalties on them for the destruction they cause.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.