Videos to get in shape for hiking....to do with my SO?

mkeefe

Cathlete
Hello,

It's been a long time since I've been around here and I didn't even know about the on demand but I just signed up for it now. (Although I also have maybe 85% of Cathe DVDS hehe). I'm pretty much enthralled. :p

But aside from that and a hiatus from being in shape, my SO and I are re-committing ourselves to getting in shape, and we also have a trip planned to the Lake District in England in early May. He's English and been going there for 25 years, so he's used to the climbs, but me...not at all. I've visited clips on youtube and the "walks" do not look easy by any means! I guess our first walk will be 2000 ft vertical ascent total, 6 miles distance and our second "walk" about 8.7 miles, and more vertical because it includes 3 peaks, not one. And then we'll finish off by going to Go Ape!, the treetop obstacle course which looks absolutely awesome.

We are long distance now, and we'll be together two weeks in March in Ct in a hotel but we can use the small gym in the hotel we stay there and he's interested in trying some videos with me!!!!! I know there is a step there, and I can fit my yoga mat in my suitcase (heck I pack up my 23 " montior so I can work from the hotel! :) ) So I'm wondering what one will be good to introduce a man to (obviously not really dance-y choreography, but step is fine if it's basic) and if any videos seem better suited to training for hiking steep ascents and descents? I'm kind of left with the problem of what to choose from now!!!!! I can just bring my laptop into the gym and choose anything!

I'm so excited he'll be trying the videos with me, and as soon as I just offered doing the step videos together he jumped at the chance. :) Our goal is to move to Ct together (both our works have offices there) and I envision a common workout area where we do the videos together now!!!!!

Thanks for any advice!
Mary

Hi Mary-No expert here, but I was doing long hikes this past summer (10-15 mile range once a week and 4-6 miles a couple days a week), mostly at high altitude (I live in the Colorado mountains).

I worked on leg and core strength using a variety of Cathe's DVDs. Also used my weight vest (slowly increasing the weight) and did running intervals up hills, walking down.

I slowly increased the distances I was hiking. Can you try to build up your hiking mileage before your trip?

As my knees were bothering me on the downhill part of the hikes, I started doing more flexible work (Classical Stretch/Ess, and Bendy Body; both helped more than yoga). My knees thanked me.

This year I plan to start incorporating step workouts. Step workouts are not favorite, so thanks for the reminder!

Mary, you'll have a wonderful time. The lake district and the people are wonderful (but I would say that, I was brought up around there!) I've probably done the walks you're planning, or similar. Let me know which you're doing! They won't be anywhere near as tough as Colorado, but pam's right- core and legs. How about some high step training? Not at all fancy, and will really get your quads and glutes working.

Last edited:
The best way to prepare for hiking is to HIKE ;)!!! I did a lot of training hiking on inclines with my weighted vest to prepare for hiking out west (Colorado is AWESOME!!!!!...with special affection for Pikes Peak where my DH and I hiked up and got married!). Hiking involves EVERY type of training: strength, endurance, stamina, flexibility, and balance....Pam hit it spot on: core and legs are your focus! I'm sure you are going to have a great time hiking with your SO...I think if you're doing any Cathe DVDs you'll be ready!

PS: I also used to have a terrible time with my knees going downhill for long periods. I started using a foam roller on my IT band and it REALLY helped. I keep a small rolling stick in my backpack to use on the trail and my knees are no longer an issue!

Hi Mary-No expert here, but I was doing long hikes this past summer (10-15 mile range once a week and 4-6 miles a couple days a week), mostly at high altitude (I live in the Colorado mountains).

I worked on leg and core strength using a variety of Cathe's DVDs. Also used my weight vest (slowly increasing the weight) and did running intervals up hills, walking down.

I slowly increased the distances I was hiking. Can you try to build up your hiking mileage before your trip?

As my knees were bothering me on the downhill part of the hikes, I started doing more flexible work (Classical Stretch/Ess, and Bendy Body; both helped more than yoga). My knees thanked me.

This year I plan to start incorporating step workouts. Step workouts are not favorite, so thanks for the reminder!

PAM, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!! Great advice!!!!

Thank you so much Pam, Justine and Nanbo! Nanbo, where is your avatar picture? You like you are hiking there. Climbing up Pike's Peak and getting married, that sounds like the best wedding story I have heard!

Core and legs, yep...I figured as much. Downhill is a worry for me, putting weight on my left knee. Stamina..well I've had stamina in the past, doing long cycling rides, just have to get it back. Flexibility and balance are thankfully good points with me still. :)

I forgot to mention though that I live in flat Mn and really won't have the opportunity to drive anywhere to practice. I'm hoping maybe I can go up north a weekend, but not looking likely. I will be skiing for a week in Lake Tahoe in February, I am wondering if some of that will translate to hiking? In March Simon and I will take some practice hikes on the weekends in Connecticut. :)

I've read good practice for downhill is finding a gradual slope (have in the park outside my house!), filling a pack with about 30 lbs and doing lunges down the hill. I am going to do that a few times a week when the snow clears!

I like the high step work idea, too. I think high step work did wonders for me years ago. I am also going to try step downs (very much like single leg squats, which I hate because of my knee tracking issues) to help with ..well, my knee tracking issues. :) Those will be torture, I know.

Justine...you were brought up around the lake district!!!! That's lovely! I love England so much, and am so excited to finally get to the Lake District. We are staying in Ambleside and the first walk he wants to do is from Ambleside to Wansfell Pike and the second, from Ambleside to the Langsdale Pikes. We will be there a week, but figure 2 climbs and the day at Go Ape! is enough. Off days we'll take the train/boat ride on the lake, visit Wordsworth's cottage and house, etc. Where do you live now Justine?

Thanks again! Love your picture Nanbo!

(p.s., glad to hear it's easier than Colorado hiking! )

Mary - you'll love Ambleside. It's so pretty (very English!!!) with it's stone cottages and dry-stone walling. It's bound to rain, though! Wansfell and Langsdale Pikes - amazing. You'll not have a problem doing them. Certainly not after Cathe! And once you've had your Kendal Mint Cake (just you wait...)
It's worth remembering, that although you're only doing a couple of walks, getting around will involve a lot of walking, too. It may even be worth doing a few smaller, gentler walks:
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/mar/28/top-10-walks-lake-district
I grew up in Lancashire, about 40 mins from Windemere. Loved it. I now live in Lincolnshire - 3+ hours away, but my parents are still 'up North' and my daughter lives in Manchester, so I get up there quite often. Enjoy!

Mary - you'll love Ambleside. It's so pretty (very English!!!) with it's stone cottages and dry-stone walling. It's bound to rain, though! Wansfell and Langsdale Pikes - amazing. You'll not have a problem doing them. Certainly not after Cathe! And once you've had your Kendal Mint Cake (just you wait...)
It's worth remembering, that although you're only doing a couple of walks, getting around will involve a lot of walking, too. It may even be worth doing a few smaller, gentler walks:
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/mar/28/top-10-walks-lake-district
I grew up in Lancashire, about 40 mins from Windemere. Loved it. I now live in Lincolnshire - 3+ hours away, but my parents are still 'up North' and my daughter lives in Manchester, so I get up there quite often. Enjoy!

Thanks Justine! We are staying at an old cottage (Stone's Throw Cottage), and looks lovely. I can't wait.

What a pretty place for you to grow up! He lives in the Peak District, but he says that the Lake District is his favorite part of England. :)

I have a feeling we will be doing the 'coffin walk' at some point, as he has mentioned it a lot. :) Thanks for that link. I know he's like a little boy in a candy shop, though, with all the possible walks, deciding which ones we will do. He's super excited for me to see the Lake District, and I am too!

Thanks for giving me the confidence to let me know they are do-able. :)

Thank you so much Pam, Justine and Nanbo! Nanbo, where is your avatar picture? You like you are hiking there. Climbing up Pike's Peak and getting married, that sounds like the best wedding story I have heard!
mkeefe,
I'm hiking in the Badlands in my Avatar. That was the first hike of our month long hiking trip. We hit Glacier, Tetons, Yellowstone, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches, Rocky Mountain, and finally Pikes Peak. It was the best thingJust Married glasses crop.jpg N&B Pikes Peak Summit crop2.jpg

EDIT: I don't know how this got so goofed up! I just wanted to post 2 pics for you!

I think that wins the prize for the most adorable thing I have ever seen! (At least human wise, hehe). AMAZING! What a beautiful bride! :)

I think that wins the prize for the most adorable thing I have ever seen! (At least human wise, hehe). AMAZING! What a beautiful bride! :)
Aw, thanks! For what it's worth, we started the vacation out as a celebration of being SOs for 25 years. Getting married was a spontaneous thing! Boy did we surprise a lot of people! You never know what can happen on the trail mkeefe, YOU COULD BE NEXT!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.