Videofitness.com forum

Thank you. You are very kind! That means a lot to me.

I tend to have my head in the sand most of the time, so your perception (the pecking order thing) is probably more astute than mine. And you are definitely also one of those people who make VF a great place. And don't get me wrong, I've been involved in a few controversies there myself. Some people can just be nasty, and that seems to be amplified on the internet.

You handle those *controversies* amazingly well! My problem is I speak stream of conscience and that doesn't help (especially after a martini). Anyway, you are one of those people I will stop and read every time, without being too gushy, a voice of reason.

Hi

I've also been a member for years. I've always liked it and yes it does encourage you to buy more workouts lol. There are alot of knowledgeable people on there. I used to swap workouts but because I'm in the UK I can't anymore as the postage to the US is too expensive. But I used to love that part of it. The people all seem very pleasant and this site and video fitness are the only fitness sites I regularly go to.

I haven't noticed any 'controversies' or negative sides of the site.

I don't donate and to be honest I never noticed we were requested to. Obviously the site needs support to keep it running, so I would be happy to contribute.

I hope it continues with streaming taking over from dvds in the future.

Laura

I usually lurk in the "Reader Forum/General Discussion" part. Are there other interesting places I should check out?

If you "get in", there's a section for video exchanges. No payments just exchanges. Sometimes people only ask for postage because they don't want the wkout anymore and just want it off their hands.

I had to email Wendy a few times before I got in. I don't pay "membership dues".

I've been a poster on VF for about 3 years now and I've found it to be a great source of information on fitness, just like this site. As for the squabbles, I feel like there are not as many as there used to be when I first signed up (I have not contributed money yet). That said, there are squabbles in any forum, here included. I just tend to stay out of them even if I'm itching to get involved!

As for diet, I do wish there was some way to talk about food and nutrition there because often that is actually the solution to some of the problems that people post about there. There have been so many times when someone has posted about wanting smaller legs or arms or whatever and the answer is most likely right in their kitchen and not some "magical" fitness DVD or rotation. I think the problem stems from the site's moderators wanting to avoid forum wars between people who advocate different diets (e.g. paleo vs vegan, etc).

In the past there used to be a few posters who seemed to want to shut down certain people who posted opinions they didn't agree with, but I haven't seen them posting much these days.

As for signing up, I found it very easy so I'm not sure what the delay is. It shouldn't take several emails to get posting permission...

I like videofitness for the workout recommendations that how I found Cathe :) I think it is so strict cause it has so many levels of fitness folks. THe women on there that think lifting in the Firm workout is heavy. The ones that think that Cathe STS makes you ugly will have different fitness attitudes than the ladies posting here. ;)

I'm guessing Wendy or some of the original folks on the forum were recovering anorexia or bulimia.

When you have a mental illness regarding eating/body image something as minor about us talking our daily food choices can mess up some folks. They just don't' think like someone that doesn't suffer from the disease.

I pretty sure Nia Shanks who lifts heavy has a history of eating disorder/body image she pretty much stayed away from diet/food suggestion in the past.

I think videofitness should add nutrition only discussion area that way those that have triggers can stay away and those on the journey to learn will have a place to ask questions. ( notice not diet but nutrition) I think the word diet is a trigger for many women.

I am glad you have shared this above @Cafelattee . This gives me a better picture on what is going on, why somediscussion get closed, heated etc....

I think only professionals with proven qualification should be allowed to monitor discussions on nutrition. Anyone
with "personal data" can take advantage of weak, vulnerable individual making disorder even worse.
People need looking after by professionals --- psychiatrists, psychologists, nutritionist etc....
Sometimes discussions on here are not enough to turn people life around to get HEALTHY.

BTW, UK Certified trainer are not allowed to go over board, out of scope!! They are not allowed to offer any service they are not qualified for. I believe it is the same in US.

I literally read between lines about Nia --- Not surprised at all.
There are many fitness trainer and others among us in forums. I wish everyone the best ever HEALTH.

Last edited:
I like videofitness for the workout recommendations that how I found Cathe :) I think it is so strict cause it has so many levels of fitness folks. THe women on there that think lifting in the Firm workout is heavy. The ones that think that Cathe STS makes you ugly will have different fitness attitudes than the ladies posting here. ;)

I'm guessing Wendy or some of the original folks on the forum were recovering anorexia or bulimia.

When you have a mental illness regarding eating/body image something as minor about us talking our daily food choices can mess up some folks. They just don't' think like someone that doesn't suffer from the disease.

I pretty sure Nia Shanks who lifts heavy has a history of eating disorder/body image she pretty much stayed away from diet/food suggestion in the past.

I think videofitness should add nutrition only discussion area that way those that have triggers can stay away and those on the journey to learn will have a place to ask questions. ( notice not diet but nutrition) I think the word diet is a trigger for many women.

I'm not speaking for anybody at VF because I don't know their history. They might or might not have had an eating disorder. Either way, I don't think this is the reason for no diet talk at VF. As far as I know, the no diet talk is based on the fact that there are so many different opinions about nutrition. It's usually a hot topic that can turn into a heated discussion that sometimes has to be halted. It's that simple really.

Not sure what you mean here. My BMI is right at 18 and I assure you I am healthy. I am fit, extremely active, and eat enough food to fuel a horse.

@JeanneMarie Hello Jeanne Marie,

I was referring to BMI below 18, which is considered as " not normal" --- Underweight. As a woman who has come accross
various type of Eating disorder, it is my duty to raise awareness. I am also a certified fitness instructor. I am not going to
bury my head in the sand with regard to that. By any mean, I implied anyone whose BMI is = 18 is not healthy due to
a possible illness. Fact is anorexia exist. So does bulimia :) ;) illness or disease has to be spoken about and healed.

Let's face it, someone suffering from eating disorder --- Anorexia, with a BMI < 18, is 9 time out of ten likely to suffer from body image issue.
This, in my humble opinion, is not healthy!

You are a strong,fit and healthy woman. I did not state the contrary here in anyway. In fact you inspire me
to do stuff you do when I grow up. :)

Last edited:
As far as I know, the no diet talk is based on the fact that there are so many different opinions about nutrition. It's usually a hot topic that can turn into a heated discussion that sometimes has to be halted. It's that simple really.

Personally I like VF forum just the way it is. Nutrition discussion would turn into debate on body image.
It would turn into a war board :) The war about STS turning some people into ugly hulk is just more than enough!! :D :):):p

Last edited:
@JeanneMarie Hello Jeanne Marie,

I was referring to BMI below 18, which is considered as " not normal" --- Underweight. As a woman who has come accross
various type of Eating disorder, it is my duty to raise awareness. I am also a certified fitness instructor. I am not going to
bury my head in the sand with regard to that. By any mean, I implied anyone whose BMI is = 18 is not healthy due to
a possible illness. Fact is anorexia exist. So does bulimia :) ;) illness or disease has to be spoken about and healed.

Let's face it, someone suffering from eating disorder --- Anorexia, with a BMI < 18, is 9 time out of ten likely to suffer from body image issue.
This, in my humble opinion, is not healthy!

You are a strong,fit and healthy woman. I did not state the contrary here in anyway. In fact you inspire me
to do stuff you do when I grow up. :)

Thank you, you are very kind!

I guess my point was that a BMI below 18 isn't always abnormal or underweight. It also doesn't always mean there is an eating disorder. I understand you want to raise awareness regarding eating disorders, but using BMI to decide if someone is healthy or not isn't always accurate!

Thank you, you are very kind!

I guess my point was that a BMI below 18 isn't always abnormal or underweight. It also doesn't always mean there is an eating disorder. I understand you want to raise awareness regarding eating disorders, but using BMI to decide if someone is healthy or not isn't always accurate!

I am going with health regulatory standards, applied across the globe :) :-/ . I have commented without taking anything too heartily :) :)

Illness is not health Once it has been clearly identified and diagnosed by competent health professionals. I am afraid I don't set those BMI range and I wasn't aware it was "inaccurate"
Thus it is considered as an underweight range doctors go by while treating anorexic patients, helping them to regain weight regardless of anyone opinion :) :)

Here is the link if you are still wondering what I meant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_nervosa

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.