very very tired in 1st trimester

laurawd

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I am 6 weeks pregnant and have been dealing with morning sickness and fatigue for a bit over a week . On Sunday I vomited 25 times, and it took me a couple days to recover.

I've slowly worked my way back to "normal" foods, but can't eat much. While I'm holding food down, my fatigue is overwhelming. I'm having a hard time getting off the couch. Has anyone else had the same problem?

I read about the women who continue to workout plenty during the 1st trimester, and I'm surprised that I can barely do anything.

Help!?

I suffered from hyperemesis (vomiting around 20-30 times a day) for seven months in my first pregnancy. It was horrible. The fatigue was really overwhelming. You need to listen to your body right now and just rest. Some women can't do much exercise other than walking during their pregnancies; we're all so different, so don't compare yourself with anyone else. :) But seriously, don't exert yourself if you're vomiting that much- you will only make yourself feel worse.

Oh Laura! ((((big hug)))) Sorry to hear about this! I've had a pretty rough 1st trimester. Not tons of vomiting, but some, and the nausea has been really awful most of the time. There was a 2-week period I did not WO at all and I normally go 60-90minutes a day/6 days/week. Right now I'm not back to my regular schedule and workouts but gaining strength all the time. Do what Natalie said - REST! You are growing a baby! When you feel like exercising again you will. Don't be too hard on yourself. Cathe herself gained 40 pounds in one of her pregnancies and look at her now! Take it easy, try to keep your fluids up as much as possible and eat whatever sounds palatable. Join us on the TTC/preggers check in!

I did not work out at all in the first trimester due to fatique. It is very common,by the second trimester i felt better.

suzette

What you're feeling is very common during the 1st trimester so I would just focus on getting rest and not worry about working out at this point in your pg. I am at the very tail end of the nausea and fatigue and I'm almost 13 weeks, but I still can't do my normal workout routines due to the much lower energy level I have. Just make sure you're getting your fluids and if not, talk to your dr. about getting anti-nausea meds.

Lisa

I agree with everyone about taking it easy. Also like Lisa said, if you can get some anti-nausea meds do it, I didn't get them until 11 weeks and only needed them twice but wow do they work. I don't like to take medication but those were a Godsend. There is nothing worse than being sick and vomiting a lot. Good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm actually glad to know I'm not the only one going through this . I went to a baby shower last week and NOBODY had had morning sickness. It was ridiculous.
Do those anti-nausea meds really work? My doc gave me diclectine (sp?) I haven't taken it yet.

I can keep food down now, but very little food. And there's NOTHING I want to eat. I figure I'm taking in at most 1000 cal a day, which is one reason it's hard to get the stamina to workout. I'm gonna try now though.

Laura, Do NOT feel like you HAVE to workout. You are growing a person in your body - what a miracle! It takes so much energy to do just that. Maybe just take a walk and when you feel like doing more do it. Glad to hear things are turning around a little for you. Don't get discouraged of you back-slide a little. Just when I thought I was out of the woods I was lost deep in the forest again. I think it was around 12-13 weeks I really started feeling better. Now I'm almost 16 weeks and really feeling more like myself again. I thought I would never again enjoy my workouts and clean eating but alas it has come back and it will for you too! Keep us posted!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.