Vegetable Soup recipe ideas

Bernard

Cathlete
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has a yummy vegetable soup recipe that they would like to share with us ?
I don't have a clue when it comes to making soup, it is something I have never attempted to make before ? I am more likely to open a tin of soup !
How would you thicken soup in a low calorie way ?

many thanks

Anna

Hearty Pasta and Bean Soup

4 c chicken broth
2 c tomato juice
8 oz. elbow macaroni
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c sliced carrot
1 med. zucchini, sliced
1 can (19 oz.) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1 t dried thyme
1 t dried basil
1/8 t black pepper

1. In large saucepan combine broth, tom juice, mac, garlic, and carrot; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to med.; simmer for 4 mins.

2. Stir in zucchini. Cook, stirring frequently, until mac and carrot are tender, about 4-6 mins.

3. Add beans and herbs/spices. Simmer 2 mins.

T=tablespoon
t=teaspoon

6 serv.
per serving: 401 cals., 74g carbs, 18g protein, 3g fat

RE: Hearty Pasta and Bean Soup

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-02 AT 11:20AM (Est)[/font][p]Thanks Andrea,

It sounds yummy, I guess the beans help to thicken it. I am going to print it out and give it a go.
I thought I might have to get my blender out, and actually I am glad I don't, as it is something else to wash up !

Many thanks

Anna

Hey Anna,

I love the weight watchers vegitable soup -- I've sort of made it my own by not following the recipe to the letter.

1 zucchini (green squash) cut up
1 yellow squash cut up
1 small cabbage cut up
1 large sweeet onion
1 cup green beens (frozen or fresh)
2 Carrots cut up
3 cups broth (beef or chicken)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Salt to taste

In a large pan, fry the onion & carrot in cooking spray (Olive Oil Pam is tastey) until the onion is opaque. Throw in the rest of the vegis, the broth and tomoto paste. Boil until vegis are soft but not mushy.

If you use the WW point system, this is ZERO points!!!! You can eat the whole thing & not add points. How cool is that?!

I usually cook a double batch and freeze some. Makes a great lunch or snack at work. I just added this to Liz's website, too.

Deborah

The latest issue of "Muscle & Fitness Hers" contains this recipe which I tried last week and it was very very good.

Chunky Chicken Vegetable Soup

14 1/2 ounce can reduced sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup peeled baby carrots
1 cup cubed zucchini
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
2 cups (about 9 ounces) cubed, cooked skinless chicken breasts (Half inch cubes)
1 cup cooked wide noodles
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, bring broth, water, vegetables and dressing mix to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, noodles and parsley; heat on low 3 minutes. Serve topped with cheese.

Makes 4 (1 3/4 cup) servings.

250 calories
30 gr protein
19 gr carbohydrates
6 gr fat
2 gr fiber

Marlene

Try throwing in a cut up sweet potato or 2. Really makes the soup tasty. It's my "secret ingredient." :p

Debbie Russo

HI Anna, If you email me I will send you a bunch of website links for soup recipes. I tried to email you but my computer doesn't work when I hit the email button for you. When you email me put recipe in the subject box or I might delete your email if I don't recognize your name. Karen [email protected]

I don't have a "recipe," but what I have worked out for beef stew could be considered soup by some.

I use a 6 quart cooker and dump in:
about 2 lb. of cubed round steak,
2 packages of stew seasoning,
1 large can of tomato juice,
2 cans of pinto beans,
and several cans of assorted veggies like potatoes, corn, green beans, peas, etc., until the pot is full.

Then I let it cook on low setting for several hours until the beef is done (fork tender).

I follow the Men's Health method of cooking which is "A Man, A Can(s) and a Plan." Substitute "woman" if that is appropriate in your case. I don't like recipes that list many, many types of seasonings.

Anna

I used to make a soup I would boil a bone of roast lamb with a little of the meat left make sure it has no fat and skimm any fat in the broth let this slowly cook for about an hour. Remove bone and add 1 chopped parsnip, 1 chopped turnip, chopped leak cook for another 40 mins to an hour add 4 potato's chopped onions, garlic and soup pasta (I can't remember the name but it is used in minestrone soup, salt and pepper to taste and the end of cooking I would add some parsley.

As for thickening not sure the calorific value of corn flour but I would normally use that to thicken.

Babs

P.s you can as an alternative leave out the lamb and cook the veg and add vegatables of your choice.

I agree Deb

The WW garden vegatable soup recipe is great. Really, all you need is your favorite veggies, chicken broth, basil and garlic and s & p if you like, I don't add salt.

It can be suited to your favorite veggies, and is good for cleaning out the 'fridge!

Take time to enjoy those who matter most to you & do all things in moderation :)

Hi Karen,

Yahoo won't send my message to you for some unknown reason ? Very odd ! I sent you an e-mail this morning and it has just sent it back ???????????

Do you want to try to e-mail me again ?

[email protected]

Anna

Hello Anna,

I can't make soup either, but I will be buying a book and learning how. Don't eat tinned soup if you can avoid it, try the fresh soups, they taste much better and no additives.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.