Vegan Sources of Protein

Monica11

Cathlete
Hi everyone. I remember seeing a post here about vegan protein sources, but I didn't have luck finding it. I am trying not to overdo the soy since I'm pregnant but it's hard to get protein otherwise. I mean, there's only so much rice and beans you can eat every day! I remember reading something here about pea protein. Anyone try it? Can you only buy it online? Is it any good? And do they supplement it in any way (besides sweeteners--I can live with that)? I really want to avoid sports supplements because I don't trust all the stuff they add, even if it is "all natural." I'd really just like a vegan source of protein derived entirely from food without anything added. I drive myself crazy ...

My take on the whole messy debate about soy is that the unprocessed sources (like the ones you mentioned--tempeh, tofu, etc) are absolutely fine. The questions arise with the very concentrated stuff. I used to use a soy powder in my smoothies for extra protein, eat lots of veggie burgers, etc., but that just seems a little risky during pregnancy. But I miss the convenience of a powder supplement!! It seems that no matter how good my intentions are, I just cannot force myself to eat whole food protein sources several times a day like I need to to get enough protein. Adding that one smoothie made up the slack. I'm not a vegan, but I hate the idea of using whey--just seems kind of gross for some reason. But I am considering it unless I can find a good non-soy vegan supplement.

Now that I think of it...they do have a Rice protein powder. Check at a heatlth food store...they would be able to help you with non-soy vegan supplements..:)...Carole

>My take on the whole messy debate about soy is that the
>unprocessed sources (like the ones you mentioned--tempeh,
>tofu, etc) are absolutely fine. The questions arise with the
>very concentrated stuff.

I agree. Populations that eat large quantities of natural soy (tofu, soy milk, tempeh) show none of the problems that are associated with soy in some studies.

As for vegan protein sources of protein, in addition to tofu, tempeh and seitan (the last of which isn't a complete protein, but it is very high protein), there is quinoa (a complete protein grain) and hemp seed (a complete protein seed).

For protein powders, I like "Vegan Complete," which is a pea/rice blend with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. I use it every morning in my breakfast smoothie. Another protein powder, called "Vega," is based on hemp protein. I get both of them through www.veganessentials.com (they have some 1-serving packs available, so you can try them out).

Some other vegan resources online: www.veganstore.com , www.adifferentdaisy.com (this one has REALLY SLOW shipping! Especially compared to Veganessentials, which is really fast).

Spirulina and brewer's yeast are also good if you don't mind the taste. I add them to smoothies, the yeast to popcorn. And I also eat fake meats, like bologne and Riblets and so forth. I also do not worry about soy, since I eat whole soy products. Don't forget edamame! They are great in salads, stir fry.

I use the rice protein powder. It works great.

Ok, let's try posting again, sorry if this somehow shows up twice.

Kathryn - do the protein powders you use have any sweetener in them and if so, what sweetener? I wish more would use stevia. I tried a rice protein the other day and it was horrible tasting.

I recently bought "The Ultimate Meal" which is a combination of quinoa, millet, and I think rice and pea protein. I can't remember, but there are a lot of good ingredients in it - no soy or whey. I haven't tried it yet though so I don't know how it tastes. I got it at The Vitamin Shoppe.

Speaking of The Vitamin Shoppe, I got an awesome smelling shampoo/conditioner/body lotion by Nature's Gate Organics. The scent I got is Grapefruit and Wild Ginger. Love it! Had to share...my husband would just roll his eyes...

Melissa

I have been meaning to post this question for a while now. Can somebody explain what tempeh and seitan are?

Thank you.

Tempeh comes in a thin sheet, you cut it in strips and cook it, then use it to make "chicken salad" or stir fry it, or marinate and grill it. It is whole soy beans grown in a culture, the mushroom fibers grow all over it and glue it together.

Seitan is wheat gluten, prepared in a block. It is chewy.

>
>Kathryn - do the protein powders you use have any sweetener in
>them and if so, what sweetener? I wish more would use
>stevia. I tried a rice protein the other day and it was
>horrible tasting.
>
Vegan Complete is great, IMO, because the added sweeteners are the last two ingredients at the bottom of the list: fructose (not high-fructose corn sweetener, which I avoid) and stevia.

Vega uses fructoligosaccharides (which are also a fiber source), stevia, and some fruit extracts. (Maca might also be sweet, I have no idea what it is! A fruit of some kind. I looked it up once, but forgot!) It's berry flavored, and developed by Brendan Brazier, a Canadian vegan trialthlete.

And
>I also eat fake meats, like bologne and Riblets and so forth.
>I also do not worry about soy, since I eat whole soy products.
>Don't forget edamame!

If you're worried about the non-whole soy foods, I'd watch the fake meats, which often contain soy isolates or concentrates rather than whole soy.

Question for Kathryn-
I was wondering what the problems were that were associated with soy. I've heard of issues with soy but I'm not sure what the side affects were.
Thanks,
carolyn

Why not increase the amount of veggies & nuts in your diet?? Every food contains some protein, with the exception of some fruits. Almost all veggies, grains, and legumes get 10% of their calories from protein!

>Question for Kathryn-
>I was wondering what the problems were that were associated
>with soy. I've heard of issues with soy but I'm not sure what
>the side affects were.
>Thanks,
>carolyn

Some studies suggest an increase in risk of breast cancer.
There are also some studies that show it can have adverse effects on the thyroid.
Again, at least with the breast cancer study, I believe that is using soy protein isolate and concentrate rather than whole soy foods. Traditionally, Chinese women eat a lot of soy (in the form of tofu and soy milk primarily), and they have one of the lowest incidences of breast cancer of all populations (a statistic that changes once they begin to eat more of a standard American diet, so it's not just genetic).

I'm not vegan not even vegetarian but I like quinoa a lot, and love that it's a complete protein on its own. They have mixes in a box at Whole Foods that are already seasoned, but there is a recipe I've used and it's good too. It's from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. I often toss in random veggies too.

Qunioa "Pilaf"
2 tablespoons peanut or olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion or leek
1 cup quinoa, rinsed in several changes of water
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 3/4 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, or water, warmed

Place the oil in a medium-to-large, deep skillet and turn the heat to medium. A minute later, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, for a good 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add the liquid all at once.
Cover and cook until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. If all the liquid has been absorbed but the quinoa is not tender, add 1/4 cup water and continue to cook until tender. If any liquid remains, remove the lid and raise the heat a bit; cook, stirring, until the liquid evaporates.

I use Naturade soy free veggie protein powder. It is very plain, no sweetener so you can sweeten it however you would like.

Regarding the soy problem, I need to find the studies to back it up, but as I remember...if the soy is fermented in some way, the risks of breast cancer, etc, are avoided.

Briee

Quinoa also makes a great substitute for bulgar in tabouleh.
Just be sure to rinse the quinoa first (unless the package says you don't have to) because the grains have a bitter coating that needs to be rinsed off (else the finished product tastes bitter).

I've seen two types of quinoa. A new (to me) "red" quinoa tastes a bit nuttier than the regular stuff. Very tasty, IMO.

I drink our Figure 8 protien drinks. They are made with pea protien and not soy. They taste great and I like to mix them with the Orange Fiber shake. :)

I will put a link to my webpage, then click on "What's new" and then you will see on the left hand side " Weight Loss".

Also, for those who like to have a little something handy to grab in case you are hungry but don't want to go for something 'bad', these new Berry Chews are YUMMY!!! They remind me of a starburst!!! :)

Somebody mentioned brewer's yeast, which I've never tried, but I recently tried nutritional yeast and really liked it. It has a slightly cheesy/nutty flavor. Actually, that sounds kind of gross. Parmesan cheese is the best comparison. It grows on molasses and is a complete protein and is chock full of iron and B vitamins.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.