Vegan Nutrition

LaughingWater

Cathlete
I've been reading about the Vegan diet and am now interested in making some changes personally. I've been off dairy for a week now, and I'm starting to introduce some foods I've been neglecting for a long time (like certain veggies, beans, nuts, and seeds).

Can anyone recommend a good book or website for those just starting down this path?

My hope is get my diet to where I can fulfill my nutritional requirements without supplementation. I'm not against protein powders though. I'm actually okay with those since they are often an easy meal for me. But I'd like to forgo my daily multi-vitamin if I can.

I've already found Vegan Athlete and Vegan Bodybuilding, and I'm working through those two sites. Anything else I should read? Any hidden gems I should know about?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. :)

I like The Raw Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. Although the title says "raw" it includes cooked food and it really is not a "diet" book with counting calories. It is vegan if you follow her strictest recommendations but she provides options.

She gives several transition phases. I love that the book is very much no-nonsense with great explanations.

I got mine initially at the library but decided to buy it because the book is a keeper and I loved the recipes. The food is easy to make and I don't need to spend an hour+ in the kitchen cutting and preparing.

HTH

I would also suggest "The Thrive Diet" by Brendan Brazier. He addresses a lot of nutrition issues as they relate to athletic performance. I don't think I could ever eat precisely the way he describes, but it was helpful to think about how to design complete meals that power me through all my tough workouts.

No matter how perfect your diet, I would recommend two supplements: a Vegan DHA capsule, and a B complex.

HTH! :D

Thank you, thank you! :) That does help quite a bit.

Afreet, I found Brendan Brazier's site yesterday and look forward to reading through it. Once I'm done with The China Study (Thanks, Carola!) , I'll track down the two titles you ladies have recommended.

Via the Search function, I've also found Vegan Planet, so many thanks to the poster who mentioned that title in the past!

Becoming Vegan is the first that comes to mind. I forget the author's name but it is available on amazon. I have her Becoming Vegetarian and found it helpful and will still refer to it at times.

I've been vegan for 21 years, so I have no idea what's out there right now for reading. Just wanted to say that I find vegweb.com helpful when I'm looking for new recipes.

I also love veganyumyum, for those times when I just don't care about my macronutrient ratios! She just posted the most amazing looking vegan cinnamon roll recipe yesterday - I'm making it for my sweetie's birthday!

Lisa

Excellent, thanks. :) I just got a hold of Thrive today.

I was never much of a carnivore (unlike DH and my older daughter, who I suspect were T-Rexes in another life :p ) , but I had zero interest in learning about vegetarians and vegans until recently.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.