Upping protein intake

Beavs

Cathlete
I am in the arduous process of trying to add some muscle on my semi scrawny ectomorph self and after speaking with my uber awesome personal trainer who compete in Iron Man for the fun of it, it is clear I need to get serious about my protein intake.

I have been eating squeaky clean with the lean protein. The good news I haven't been prone to eating much crap since I am eating all the time (or at least it seems) The bad news is I am sick of eating and still not getting enough protein. So for those of you serious on this weight training path, I'd love to know what you eat in a day. I'm bored...I need ideas....and I'd like variety (and it wouldn't hurt if it was tasty to boot).
Also, how do you handle being away from home when you can't cook up quinoa and tofu or turkey sausage? What are your roadtrip must haves?

BTW, I always laugh at these infomercials where they promise women they don't have to worry about "bulking up" (such as Tony Horton's disturbing 10 Minute Trainer Infomercial--shame on Beach Body for that cheesy ad). I've been trying to bulk up for years and I still have chicken arms.
x( ;-)

For me Beavs I use a time released Whey protein powder (EAS) since I can get 25+ gms of protein with only 6 oz. of a drink. Not too filling, but you can make a smoothie if you want more.

At work I like taking cottage cheese with fruit, veggies (peppers, cucs, onions, tomatos) since it is 14 gms for 1/2 a cup and 100 cals. Sometimes I eat string cheese but it is only 5 gms.

I always have boiled eggs in the fridge and just pop a couple of whites if I am hungry - nearly 10 gms per white.

Sometimes I'll make a tuna salad type of mixture - tuna, celery, egg whites, red onions with a little LF dsg for a binder. Can eat in a sandwich, in a leaf of romaine, etc.

Also found some great tortillas - La Tortilla Factory - they have 80 cals, whole grains, 8 or 9 gms of protein - make great wraps, burritos, etc.

Speaking of burritos, ground meat with some beans and other fixin's is a great source of proteins.

PB or almond butter doesn't take too much space in the tummy if you don't have to worry about the extra fat.

Those are pretty much my standards - have you done a google search for "high protein foods"? That may help you see other things that might tempt your tastebuds.

And I know what ya mean - I am getting really tired of eating too. Am backing of the heavy weights and aiming for more moderate for a while. But the extra protein did help me add some definition this year so far.

Hey Beavs!! I shoot for eating 15-20 gms of protein with each meal. For me, I start my day off with oatmeal with walnuts. I have a cup of skim milk with that. Snack is usually lowfat mozzerella string cheese. Lunch is usually either veggies and chicken or tuna. Afternoon snack is natty pb and banana on ww. Evening meal can be either a protein shake with skim milk, whey protein powder, blue berries and a banana or a salad with eggs. IMO, building muscle is not only about protein intake, but the right calorie intake too. I am sure your trainer already told ya that ;)

Good luck!!

[font color= purple size=+3]Catherine[/font]

http://www.rykat.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/arrowhead.png

http://www.picturetrail.com/fit_fairy

http://69.89.25.157/~extremf4/forums/images/smilies/chinup.gif

I CAN'T STAND THE EATING!!

Im in a "bulking phase" right now (or I was until I injured myself) and it's the hardest thing in the world!
I've managed to get my protien to a about 20-30 g's above my weight, I eat about every 1.5-2 hours. Ive turned down candy, chocolate, brownies and even iced coffee's since Ive been eating regularily and THAT feels GREAT lol!
I actually have NO DESIRE to eat most of the time as Im forcing myself to eat cottage cheese and other things Im not craving at regular intervals.
Ive found it EXTREMELY difficult to up my calories where they need to be..
My typical day includes a protein smoothie first thing upon waking.. Ive also found myself eating straight from the measuring cups lately haha!
Ive been doing a lot of peanut butter sandwiches with milk as I find they are a good (bloat-free) way of getting some dense calories.
Ive added pasta to my menu as well (I never eat it) so some mac n' cheese (homemade with frozen peas, broccoli, stewed toms and chicken) make for some good calories as well.

Frozen Tina's burritos and Lean Pockets aren't chok full of protein but they do have the higher calories.. Im too am struggling a lot with finding un-processed foods that have calories AND protein!

Unfortunatly Im hesitant to have more than two protein beverages a day so I just stick with two smoothies (but they're soo good I could actually live on them)

The only way I can really get my calories where they need to be (when Im not mang mac/cheese or having pizza) is to throw in a cookie or something? I don't know that's the best idea.. I was actually going to write a pos askin for advice on how to get the protein and calories for a bulking.. Ive run out of food!!

For breakfast I usually have scrambled egg whites with some cheese. For lunch it's either a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread and some string cheese or boca burgers. Dinner I'll either have chicken, a turkey burger and fish with veggies. For dessert I will sometimes make a protein shake or have chocolate protein powder mixed with some fat-free cool whip.

For snacks I usually have hard boiled eggs (I make a dozen on Sunday so they last me a whole week), dry roasted edamame that has 14 grams of protein for a 1/4 cup, string cheese and I like Back To Nature Hi Protein Crunch cereal. It has 15 grams of protein per 1/2 cup. I don't like it with milk but it's good plain as a crunchy snack. I will also grill some chicken and beef, cut them into strips and take that to work as snacks.

On weekends I'll eat salmon that comes in ready-to-eat pouches that you can eat right out of the bag. I will usually but it on a millet and flax pita and sprinkle some cheese on it and put it under the broiler. It's so good and has 26 grams of protein.

If I had a particularly hard workout I'll drink Isopure. It has 40 grams of protein per 20 ounces and has no aspartame or perservatives, no sugar or carbs.

Hi there-

I feel your pain in regard to upping protein take, its a struggle for me too. My goal ( which is hard for me to get to) is 1 gm protein/lb of bodyweight/day. I usually have to rely on supplements, as that I am too lazy most of the time to have stockpiles of lean meats cooked and ready to eat.

I have a suggestion though if "quick and dirty" is the way you want to get your protein in. I've found a nifty little supplement from IDS called "New-Whey"... its 42 gms of protein for 200 calories. Its basically a test tube shot of fruit punch flavored whey protein.
You can "shoot it" in about 1-1/2 mouthfuls and be done w/ your protein intake. I ordered it off Netrition.com.

Its not fabulous tasting, but it does get the job done. Usually if I use one, I'll try to do that and then eat some "good carbs" ie fruit or whole grain wraps to balance it all out.

It kind of brings back those college days, of doing shooters.. far cry from a "test tube baby" or a amaretto slammer though :)

Take care, Lynn M.

For a quick and easily transportable protein snack, I like string cheese. Sorrento has a reduced fat variety if you're not into full fat.

For a no-cook meal, I like a combination of oil-packed tuna and marinated artichoke hearts (drained, but not rinsed). You can eat it as is, or put it on some crusty bread, pita pocket, salad greens, etc. The heavy flavors may not be for everybody, but it's my recent addiction.

Hummmm...wonder what Tosca would recommend??}( }( :p You know I just had to go there.;)

BTW, I use Lean Dessert protein. Not sure if its your thing, but whey protein is one of the best sources of easily assimilated proteins there is.

> I shoot for eating 15-20 gms of protein with
>each meal.

I think that makes the most sense, because there is a question as to how much protein the body can actually assimilate at one time. 20-30 grams is what I've seen mentioned (and within that range, I would think women would be closer to the bottom).

> It to would just be stored as fat if it's extra.

Or cause unnecessary stress on the kidneys trying to eliminate it.

A good yogurt has around 15g. of protein. I love that, especially with fresh blueberries or strawberries. The South Beach Diet has lots of variations of desserts using part-skim ricotta cheese that only require mixing a few ingredients, no cooking involved and taste good. When I am away from home, I pack nuts, string cheese or South Beach bars (they aren't really clean, but do have 10g. of protein and taste yummy).

HTH,
Sandra

Thanks gang for the ideas. I was hanging out in NYC for a few days so now I have to get back to grazing on Fage, lentils, chicken, etc

BTW, if anyone is every visiting the Met they have the most fabulous cafeteria where one can get plenty of protein, even of the vegan variety, and tons of fruit and veggies :9 :9

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.