Unpleasant Side Effects

I agree with those who say can the protein shakes and up your carb and fat intake. Your diet ratio does not sound healthy at all. Too much protein can lead to all sorts of bad things. If you want to up your protein try a more balanced 30 fat 40 carbs 40 protein. Your diet would have my insides tied into a knot and I do tend to eat higher protein.

I'd also suspect the protein powder and bars.
You really don't need them, at least not as many as you are using. 50% protein is excessive anyway, IMO. A more reasonable 'higher protein' diet would be perhaps 30% (but even then, not usually necessary).

Thanks, ladies. As always you were honest and straightforward in your responses. I'm def. going to cut down on the shakes and bars, eat more "real" sources of those protein, but really cut down on the protein in general. And I'm going to check all the labels for "mystery" ingredients!!

I find that protein bars give me terrible gas if they have sugar alcohols in them. That could be the culprit... check labels.:confused:

I would drop the isolate protein powders and bars. They're not real food and not clean eating. I used to use Promax bars and various protein shakes, which tasted great, but oh man, they upset my stomach!

There are some moderate protein powders out there - e.g. Vega and other similarly-named ones - which are vegan-based, have 14-18 grams of protein per serving and are made from actual food - you may be able to use these without side effects. (I can eat them, and sometimes do, but I need to mix them with strong-tasting fruit because I don't like the taste.)

I agree with those who have said your protein intake is high at 50%. Keep in mind that eating too much protein is hard on your system and may overtax your kidneys & other organs.

Stebby

I'm way late on this, but I saw your post and thought I'd share what I've learned from my own experience. After years of major fatigue, bloating and joint achiness despite a clean diet and regular--hard as in, Cathe! ; )--exercise, I finally found a doctor who listened to me. She ran several tests, including what's known as an ALCAT test and we discovered I have numerous food intolerances, all of which had been compromising my GI tract. Among them were staples in my healthy diet, like egg whites, garlic, asparagus, pear, sesame, spinach, sweet potato, soy.....

As part of the multi-month cleansing process, I also learned a lot about food combinations that can cause significant bloating. Specifically, I now eat fruit either 30 minutes before any other type of food or wait at least 2 hours. The enzymes necessary to break them down are different from those necessary to break down other foods. The result of eating fruits with other foods can mean they literally ferment in your lower intestine, causing pain, bloating and over the long-haul, irritable bowel issues.

Finally, related to all of this is digestive enzymes. You might try talking to a doctor, or if you don't think yours is open to more holistic medicine, a reputable herbalist, to discuss which ones might be most helpful to you. I take DigestZyme by Ortho Molecular.

You can find more info about ALCAT and food combining in these links. Good luck. I know I've had tremendous success, though it has taken time, commitment and some money too.

https://www.alcat.com/index.php

http://alderbrooke.com/chart.htm

I've had really bad luck with whey protein myself (even in small quantities). It made me bloated and my stomach very upset. I actually -for the first time in a long time- tried a protein drink again this morning (muscle milk) and was very pleased to encounter no negative side-effects!!

Thanks, ladies. As always you were honest and straightforward in your responses. I'm def. going to cut down on the shakes and bars, eat more "real" sources of those protein, but really cut down on the protein in general. And I'm going to check all the labels for "mystery" ingredients!!

So, this is a few months later. How are you feeling now?

Like KelAZ1, I found the whey based protein to be indigestible, and the soy protein to be much easier on the stomach. And the sugar alcohols in the bars are killer :( :eek:

I started a thread about this awhile back. The thread link is below. I paste what's been going on sense. I am almost 100% better now. Gosh, I feel like I have my life back. My stomach is super flat and ripped. Life is very good! Thanks for asking.

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266179&highlight=Bloating+IBS

Here's what I posted...

I thought I would post my story in the hopes it might help someone else. I'm NOT saying what has worked for me will work for you. I'm hesitant about posting my personal business here, but if it helps someone then it's worth it.

In 2006, I had 2-3 months of reoccuring yeast and bacterial infections. Took a ton of antibiotics. After that, my stomach was never the same, and that's when I started having problems- gas, bloating (I looked 4 months preg. by the afternoon), and constipation. I went to a gastroenteroloist and had every test done known to man, seriously, except for a colonoscopy. I was even tested for food allergies and intolerances. I took out every food that can cause problems. After taking Zelnorm and a very expensive antibiotic for bacterial infections (Zafaxin), I was better for a year or so. Then Zelnorm went off the market. I became very depressed, due to stomach issues and a host of very tragic, unexpected events. I was put on a low dosage of Zoloft for depression. I stopped taking it late last summer. All my stomach problems can back in a month or so.

I then tried modifying my diet again. Took out the BSN Lean Dess. protein powder, Kashi Go Lean cereal, and added digestive enzymes, peppermint oil, and Cuturelle. That helped for about 2 weeks. It wasn't what I was eating that was causing the problem. So, I went to a gastroenterologist in my new area. When I told him I didn't know the problem was because I had tried everything, and mentioned that the only two real changes I'd made were really cleaning up my diet and stopping the Zoloft. He just about fell out of his chair.

He then told me that Zoloft is used to treat IBS, not because of depression or stress, but because most of the serotoin is found in our intestines, not in our heads. I didn't want to be back on Zoloft, but I decided to try it. Heck, I was out of options, and I couldn't walk around looking preg. every day. I skipped out on a beach vacation because of this problem! The doctor said that drugs are used for all sorts of reasons. Prozac being one of those. It's used to treat severe PMS.

It's been a month now, and I am back to normal. I'm taking 50 mg of Zoloft, Miralax, and Align probotics. It's been a miracle. The only side effect for me has been that I have to make myself eat. The Zoloft is making me not hungry. I think of it as being on Zelnorm again, and the doctor even said that Zelnorm did the same thing has Zoloft does, but people weren't freaked out about taking it because it was for stomach issues.

Here's a link to info. on using Zoloft to treat IBS. There are many on the internet, but they say the same thing.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-c...-syndrome.html

Sorry this got long. I hope it might help someone. I'm not saying to go out and get a prescription. Zoloft is only prescribed for people who have severe IBS, and it doesn't work for everyone, like any drug. But it sure has given me my life back. In the afternoons, I now look like I do in the mornings

So, I've REALLY cleaned up my eating in the last two months. I've lost inches and fat and feel great, except for one thing.. I'm so swollen and bloated that I look pregnant. I also have some serious gas (I Know. TMI. Smells like rotten eggs, sulphur!!!).

you say your "tarts" smell like rotten eggs and sulphur......and you eat hard boiled eggs.......maybe you can have your eggs scrambled....check out this site.....there seems to be a link between hard boiled eggs and stink "tarts":eek:

http://www.general-health-care.com/generalhealthcare/a27545.html

This could be the case with some people (smelly sulphur smelling gas), but for me it wasn't WHAT I was eating. It was that I was eating. I know. Sounds strange. But now, I am normal and I'm still eating the same way- eggs, whey protein in my oatmeal, cottage cheese...

Thanks for the link. It might help others who are affected by certain foods that they eat. I really wish my problem was that! Then I wouldn't have spent years trying to figure out what was wrong with me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.