Unfortunate "side effect" of Cardio Kicks/Circuit Max

jtshotone

I just got Cardio Kicks and Circuit Max. Did both this week and seem to have an unfortunate (and kind of gross) side effect. When I am doing 90% of the jumps, I end up urinating a little. Almost every jump. I have never had this problem when working out (and still don't with my other DVDs ... Christi Taylor, Charlene Prickett, and your Cardio Hits DVD). It got so bad today that I had to change my exercise shorts about 1/4 of the way through, and going to the bathroom AGAIN (did right before I worked out on both routines).

Have you ever heard of this problem? Do I need to go get Poise pads to do the workouts? Do you have other ideas? I do pelvic floor lift exercises, but admittedly only a few days a week. Will I have to do them every day to get through these workouts?

Sorry for the topic but seeing as how I have never had this issue with any other workout, I thought here would be a good place to start asking questions. Thanks in advance for your assistance! :)

RE: Unfortunate

Well, I don't think it's a side effect of the workouts themselves. I think you should speak with your physician. It sounds like you have stress incontinence, IMHO.

Carol
:)

This happens to me too on certain workouts. It's a condition I have inherited from my mom, as she also had the problem. She had some type of surgery to help correct it. As I was very young, I dont remember the details.

I am a morning exerciser and I find that if I don't drink before these certain workouts(all hi/lo), it keeps the leakage to a minimum. Maybe you could try to figure which moves are the culprits, and modify them. I know that the running man in SJP can cause me grief, so I bring down the intensity.

If its too bad you may want to visit the dr. Maybe there are some strengthening exercises to help the muscles. I know that at some point, I will have too go this route. My sisters also have the problem - sometimes even when they sneeze!

Good luck! Phyllis

Hi Amy! Sorry I can't help you with your problem but just wanted to say that I took a look at your link to your "before & after" pix and you look absolutely awesome!!! Not only do you look healthier, but YOUNGER too! Keep up the great job! Also, WELCOME to Cathe's place.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hello! I was a nurse for 9 years, & this sounds like stress incontinence. It happens to women more than men, especially if you've been pregnant. Sometimes there will also be "leaking" when you sneeze or cough. It's a very common problem, so don't feel embarrassed about it.

Some women have the problem bad enough to have surgery. But that's a last resort. You can do Kegel exercises. Another name for Kegel's is "pelvic floor exercises." You can do this exercise anywhere, but you need to do it often.

It is hard to explain...You know when you urinate, you can stop the flow...& to do that you use the pelvic floor muscles to stop urinating? That's like a Kegel exercise. You tighten the pelvic floor muscles as if you are stopping the process of urination before you are done. You can contract the muscles & hold, do "flutters," or "elevator lifts." Elevator lifts are contracting tighter & tighter for 3 slow counts & flutters are fast contractions in succession. (Some of the older Firm tapes have these.)
I hope this makes sense & helps. If I didn't explain it well enough, post a message & I'll try to explain it another way, ok?

I have had stress incontinence for about 20 years, after carrying 2 big babies. Kegel exercises have helped tremendously, but I have to do them daily. I also used to wear some protection (I used a Kotex pad) for awhile during my workouts. Be patient though. Like any other exercise, you have to give it time to build up muscle tone.

Deanna

I don't have any information either but wanted to state that I looked at your before and afters too and shared with my friends at work and you are now hanging up in our office you have already stopped several of us from eating donuts this morning you look great you are my height, I used to be 135 and am now 158 and you really inspired me to get my body back!!
Sherry

I have a problem with this just before my period starts. My doctor said it was because I swell up a bit and doing so puts pressure on the bladder. He recommended a single dose of Sudafed about an hour before I do "jumpy" cardio (during the week before my period), because the ingredients in Sudafed constrict the ureter.

I would not recommend you doing this without checking with your doctor first, though.

My doctor also told me about stress incontinence rings; if I ever get to the point where the Sudafed doesn't help anymore, I'm getting one of these babies. You can see one here (scroll down to where it says "stress incontinence rings"):

http://www.communities.ninemsn.com.au/choiceforprolapse/pessaryinformation.msnw

And congratulations on your new body! You are an inspiration, and I think you look like Heather Graham's sister.

Hi everyone! Wow, thanks for the information! I've never had that issue before so it is GREAT to hear from people "in the know".

Just a little about me ... I heard about Cathe years ago, but it was right when I first started getting ill and gaining weight. Exhaustion, weight gain were two of the major symptoms. I had to dramatically decrease, then eliminate all exercise (doctor's orders). It took 5 1/2 years to finally start getting to the root of the problem, the rest is "history"! (I started WW immediately, then slowly started getting active again 4 months later with the green light from my doc.)

So, now that I am FINALLY back up to being an advanced level exerciser, here I am! I have Cardio Hits as well as Cardio Kicks & Circuit Max. I am asking my hubby for Cathe DVD's for my b'day next month (we'll see if he follows through).

I was wondering at first how ya'll saw my website until I realized it was in my profile (I can be a little slow at times ... )

Happy news ... I found out today that I am going to be featured in Collage Video's next catalouge as a success story ... YAY!! :7 I get $100 in free DVD's. Too bad Cathe's DVDs aren't there, but I will find something interesting to add to the mix ...

Debbie - Thanks for the welcome - I FEEL Younger!!!

Deanna - Thank you for the input! I already do pelvic floor exercises, but infrequently. I guess I'll have to do them daily now. I haven't had babies so this is all new to me! :p

Sherry - LOL!!! Glad to have inspired you and your friends (step AWAY from the doughnuts! :eek: ) That's what the site is there for.

Amazon - Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it ... just in case.

Everyone else, thanks again! If I forgot to respond to you directly forgive me ... I am trying to work in between looking ...

Have a great day! :+

DEBBIE ...

Somehow managed to lose your email in the mess of emails I got today ( I do telecommuting and get TONS of emails). Regarding the sock question ... I am sorry, I don't know where those came from. If I did I'd certainly share! :eek:) They've been in the ol' sock drawer for a long time. ;-)

RE: DEBBIE ...

You are so welcome! How exciting to be in Collage!!! I'll have to watch for you!!

I can relate sooooo well to having to fight your way back to working out. I also lost my health. I had been an advanced exerciser from 1996 to 1999. Chronic pancreatitis took completely over at that time. Now doctors scratch their heads, wondering how I'm this healthy. I am back to an intermediate/advanced workout level again!It's taken a little over a year.

It's great to fight your way back, don't you think? There's something very satisfying about losing your health & gaining it back, huh? I don't mean losing it is satisfying, but getting it back is. Plus, I don't take my health for granted anymore!

Deanna

Wow...

You look fantastic! Very inspiring.

I lost 10 pounds on WW and have 8 to go, but looking at you recharges my resolve.

As far as your stress incontinence. I've had it ever since I had kids.

I just got a rebounder and holy moley how that seems to emphasizee it, but I also believe that using the rebounder along with kegels will strengthen that which needs strengthening.

Good luck - it is frustrating, i've had this issue with high impact for over 6 yrs. Mindy Mylrea, in ultimate bootcamp even kind of jokes about it (She mentions she's had 3 kids an ddoesn't always like how jumping jacks feel)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.