Undulating Warriors Jan 11th-17th

Hi All!

Yesterday, I ended up not working out. I did not arise early enough to exercise before work & then when I got home, I was sooooo tired. I think my body demanded a break! Today went better---Got up early and did HiiT pyramid and Disc 2. The band work and all the bonuses Cathe adds on the end of a 15 rep set always fries me! But I enjoyed being able to "try" chin-ups and pull-ups on my pull-up tower---almost made me want to go back to use the band instead at times, but still was a good feeling! I didn't have too much DOMS from Disc 3 on Wednesday, but I usually don't from any of the leg workouts after doing the first one in each Mesocycle. I got a little worried about it during my first STS rotation, but somewhere in Meso 2, I noticed how much firmer and toned my legs were becoming. So, it's seems to be working even w/o the DOMS.

Janis, I am a U.S. citizen and am a military nurse practitioner. My speciality is women's health. I'm stationed in Germany. It's a nice place to live! Very beautiful & it's just great to experience different cultures. I'm haven't meant to be hush-hush about it ;) I really tend to mentally disconnect from work once I come home, so I tend not to talk about it when I'm at home on the computer. And I guess when I start talking about where I live, it ends up turning into a discussion about my job! But I do love my job (even when it keeps me too busy). :) I've been here since early 2008. I've been moving around the continental U.S., Alaska and now Germany since 1996. I'm due to go back to the U.S. next March, but I'm trying to stay 1 extra year.
Your description of your run makes me want to start exercising outside more! Hmmmm, maybe when it gets a little warmer!!!! ;)

Heather, thanks for letting me know about the WW chatter on open discussion. I'll check it out soon! There seems to be a discussion about activity points & exercise with WW every so often. It can be tricky as STS sometimes makes me hungrier, but I've learned through trial & error that just following WW guidance really works!
I think it's so cool that you have a skating rink for your kids. How fun!
You made Cardio Core Circuit sound fun; I was kinda apprehensive as the posts about it sound like it's a toughie. But I've plan to squeeze it in next week. Now that I have a good feel for all the variety of Shock Cardio, I think my plan will be do to HiiT twice a week, and then Step, MMA and circuit once a week each. I love the Step workouts the best so far!

Cathy, here is the link to Cathe's post about the frequency of HiiT in response to Janis's inquiry. Hopefully I managed to copy & past the link right!
http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271726&page=2
Sounds like home-schooling is going well! I'm sure the kids love watching/counting the birds. How are your legs feeling after doing Legs & Glutes? I'm liking getting up early as it has resulted in me getting to work earlier, before everyone else comes. I'm been able to get some work done during that peaceful time & have wound up able leave when I'm supposed too instead of having to stay late. So, I'm seeing the benefits and plan to continue!

MJ, Glad to hear from you! Good job on continuing to stay on track even with being busy at work. I know that isn't easy! Hope you have a restful weekend.

I'll see you all tomorrow!
Tara

Thanks for the link Tara - it worked. :D Glad you go up again and worked out. Sometimes your body really does just want to rest doesn't it. I sort of feel about chin ups and pull ups like I do push ups, but I do them. Everyone I've known that's lived in Germany really liked it. I hope you work it out to stay longer. Not really feeling anything from the parts of Legs and Glutes I did. I'm finding that the non-weight work alone rarely leaves me sore and if I am it's hardly enough to notice.

Today is my rest day and involves sitting through baseball practice and sitting through a basketball game this afternoon.

Happy Saturday!

I did Athletic Step this morning. Got all the steps down this time!

Cathy, I'm glad the linked worked! Enjoy your rest day of watching baseball & basketball.

See you all tomorrow!

Tara

Happy Weekend!

I was out of town all day yesterday handling my automobile repair. Fortunately I was given a loaner car, so I didn’t have to sit at the dealer all day waiting.

Today I did another round of Meso 1 Disc 3 legs. It’s a fun workout, isn’t it! You know, the wall squats with the leg lift always throw me off, I think it’s a balance thing. Oh -I am wondering does anyone else feel a weird tweaking in the hip doing those?

Tara – Thanks for posting the link from AskCathe for Cathy. I am almost jealous that you live in Germany. I seem to love all things German. My husband is of German descent, my automobile and my beloved kitchen knives are German too. Thank you for sharing more details about your life. I value and appreciate every single person who works and serves in the U.S. Military. FWIW I see a nurse practitioner for my female check ups, we could use a lot more NP’s. Way to go on HiiT Pyramid and Athletic Step, the band work on Disc 2 fried me too, those really burn! Congrats on your add’l 1.5 # weight loss. (I noticed your tracker :))

Heather – I know what will smooth the bumps on your ice rink! A Zamboni! Hey, why don’t they make domestic size models? We have ride on lawn mowers, why not ice edgers? Insanity feels like High High HiiT! Isn’t that their claim to fame? “Maximum Interval Training”…. “long bursts of maximum training with short rests.” How did your haircut turn out – do you like it?

Cathy – You are healing really quickly! Those roll ins aren’t easy – clearly all your ab work is paying off! (note to self: must do abs) I’m not surprised you had more boys than girls in your 9-13 age group class. Boys love wildlife and its inherent mysteries. Here is my broad generalization: girls seem to like cute and cuddly, while boys seem to resonate with scientific proof and the process of discovery.

MJ- It is good to hear from you and that you are alive, well, and working out! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you. May you get out from under the pile this week.

We're not just Warriors - we're Athletic Warriors! Meso 2 here we come!

Last edited:
This morning I did Stretch Max with the mat and then I did calf raises! As of today, I got to add in the calf raises and more intense stretching. I did 3 sets of 10 and while I just was standing on the floor and not dropping my heel down, I got full range of motion going up. Four weeks ago, I couldn't even get my heel off the floor!!!

Today I have some cat grooming to do as two of the cats we unintentionally adopted are long-haired and end up with lots of tangles from their journeys outside. Not being a professional, I'm much more of a chopper and just cut out whatever is matted. They don't appreciate it, but it's nice that they are spending more time indoors and that I can do it, because the last few years by spring they are a mess.

Also, get to go sit through another baseball practice today. Baseball practice = knitting time. :D

Janis my abs have always been pretty strong. Right now they aren't as strong as they have been, and I'm really looking forward to be able to get back to doing whatever core moves I want. I'm weird and miss my one-legged pikes. I consider them one of my greatest achievements. ;)

Janis I thought I'd get more girls, because birds seem more of a girl thing with kids. My boys watch birds, but my husband is a birder and we've got lots around, so I just thought that wasn't common. Actually writing this reminding me that DH (who is still asleep) is supposed to be counting birds today and there are a bunch of Mourning Doves at the feeders right now so I stopped and counted them for him - all 27. They may be gone by the time he gets up.

Heather I think Janis idea of the mini zamboni is a great idea. Think how much fun your boys would have. :D

Have fun with your workouts today everyone!

Hey Everyone

Yesterday turned into a rest day. I had a terrible sleep on Friday night because my back was really hurting. This morning I had a little epiphany...the only thing that is different about my workouts has been the rolling sit ups/stand ups. I think that my spine does not like the force of the rolling. It has been really sore and I wake up stiff. So I am going to leave those out for a while and see if my back gets better. We got a new bed for my DH and his back and I thought that maybe that was causing me the problem but I am pretty sure now that I think of it that the rolling could be it. I was told that I had mild arthritis in my back a long time ago so I don't imagine the jumping back and rolling is good for it. I really like Cardio core circuit ... I'll have to come up with some alternatives to do!.

Today I did B&G's. I just really like this workout and the stretch afterwards. I actually went to bed early last night and today I feel like a real person again! I am trying to figure out what workouts to take with me to Florida and how to fit STS around the trip. I am gone Wed to Sat. Wed. will be a right off and so will Sat. but I am looking forward to running outside in some sunshine! I'll take Travel fit for sure!

So speaking of zamboni's... my DH made one that you pull across the ice. It attaches to the garden hose and then we can pull it along. Unfortunately the ice is REALLY bumpy and we need to do a big flood!

Cathy - Great work on the calf raises! That awesome! Happy knitting and game watching...we have our 3rd hockey game to go to tonight!

Janis - i get those hip twinges too. I can't go all the way to the ground to pick up the weight and the ones with your leg sticking straight out just about kill me when I am on my right leg! My hair is cut... it looks okay but not really a style. I'll have to bring a picture next time! It will get me through for a while!

Tara - I have several friends that lived in Germany, one loved it and the other had a really hard time. They both married Germans! The one who had a hard time was trying to learn German and was not succeeding and she can be a bit of an airhead and this did not go well for her. I would really love to go and visit!

MJ - Glad you are alive and kicking! Keep up the workouts! Your doing great!

Onward to Meso 2!
Talk to you soon
Heather

Heather I hope you do better with your workout plan when you go to FL than I did. I took my band and had a whole plan for doing upper body and lower body, stretching etc. And I think I did it one day, maybe two out of six full days there. :D I hope you back is feeling better soon.

DH had gotten the ok from the doctor to start working out again, but apparently didn't consider working back up to the weights he'd been using, so he hurt it again! Not as bad as before, but now he's decided to work back up gradually.

When I do the wall squats with weights, I put my platform against the wall and then set my weights on it. It compromises my knee too much to go all the way down to the floor and pick them up.

I did Disk 13 Chest, Shoulders and Triceps this morning. I really like that one. Even though it's long it flows well and doesn't drag. I followed it up with some calf raises and tibialis stretches.

DH is home today because of the holiday. Be fun trying to get the boys to actually do their school stuff, as they see any day he's home as one they should skip, too.

DH was up during the night and apparently searching for info on back spasms as there was still a web page opened on the subject. Doesn't bode well for him having a good day. :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.