Ugh...sugar!

SheWolf

Cathlete
I am in desperate need of help. I am trying really hard to clean up my eating, so I can see the results of all my hard work. I have manage to kick the salt habit and am proud of myself for that, but I keep failing when it comes to the sugar. It seems everyday at some point I will grab at least some small sweet treat. Of course some days that just makes me mad and I thrown in the towel and completely blow it. I've managed to make it a day or two, but then somehow my resolve crumbles. Any suggests or how to stop?

Thanks,
Linda

Linda,

I was able to kick it by transitioning to ovaltine....then to those nasty diabetic candies. After awhile the treats tasted so nasty, I did not crave them anymore.

Good luck!

Is there a problem with a small sweet treat on occasion? I don't know what your goals or situation is but it seems to me that if you are exercising and eating healthy a "small" sweet treat shouldn't be a problem. Being healthy shouldn't mean excluding life's little pleasures...unless you go overboard everytime you partake.

Sometimes when I feel like I need a sugary treat, I make a protein shake with chocolate soy milk, or I eat my kids cereal (dry), envirokids which has evaporated cane juice instead of sugar. But then sometimes I just indulge. What can you do?

Lea

Hum, no sugar? I don't think I'd survive too long without it. A small treat here and there is not cheating, imho, it's life. I've found that if I try to cut out something, I'll just crave it more.

So long as you don't go overboard, go ahead enjoy your sugar (just make sure its moderate).

That being said, I've been eating way to much sugar and I need to follow my own advice.

Buffy

Buffy

Thanks Ladies,

My goal is a six pack, if I can ever get there. And I agree a small treat once in awhile is okay, but my problem is I DO IT EVERYDAY! I would just like to be able to do better than that, then that way I would know for sure if it my training was lacking or my eating was the problem if I am not seeing the results I want. I can't do the diebetic candies or protein drinks, both destroy my digestive system.

Linda

I have the same issues. I often refer to myself as a "sugar junkie". What's really bad is that I know what it does to me and I still want it! It causes mood swings, fatigue, weight gain and does nothing but lead to more sugar cravings.

I've been following a nutrition plan written by John Berardi called Precision Nutrition. The plan is made up of whole foods and healthy fats. I only need to be 90% compliant on this plan, which means out of 42 feeding opportunities in a week, I can have 4 cheats. What's weird, I'm not wanting any cheats! I'm happy reaching for nature's sugar- a piece of fruit, or yogurt with chocolate protein(tastes like chocolate pudding:)

For me, knowing that I can have the sweets is a comfort, but the more I eat fruits and veggies, the less I want the sugar.

Good luck! I know how difficult it is.

Hey Linda, I posted a question similar to yours on Sept 8. The title is What do you do instead of eat? I got some really good suggestions and have managed to eat pretty clean for a week now. I don't know how to post the thread here, but you can back up and look for it.

Don't beat yourself up -- I think it's moderation in everything.

I fall off the wagon, but always pick myself up and try again!

I know I am a sugar addict -- what I do is eat fresh fruit and fat free plain yogurt with sugar free maple syrup (it sounds gross, but I like it). Those things seem to help when my cravings are huge!

Hi Linda!
I've heard that exercise and nutrition make up how you feel. For example, if you eat something junky and go workout, you don't feel so good like you do if you eat right and workout. I also believe that too.

My advice to you is don't buy the junkfood at the store. My Motto is "if it ain't in ya house, you won't eat it}(" Also don't go head out to dunkin donuts either}:)+

HTH!
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends.
-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Mmmmmmmm Adri, Dunkin Donuts, my favorite. Every time I visit my in-laws on the east coast, I have to make a trip there. There is NOTHING like it on the west coast, fortunately :).

Lea

This is gonna be real tough, but go cold turkey for about a week to ten days, and remove all forms of sugar from your diet, including those found in fresh fruits, high glycemic vegetables and condiments and spaghetti sauce. Read labels and don't eat anything with high fructose corn syrup either. Then add back the fruits and vegetables and continue to avoid sugar-added processed foods. Make it a "natural foods' week minus the sugars. This'll help. But it is difficult.

Hi Linda, when I quit sugar, I went cold turkey...but what I felt helped and I swear by it...was brown rice. I usually get my sugar cravings mid afternoon. So I started having a little brown rice with my lunch and my cravings stopped. Maybe it was psychological, but I swear it works! :)

Jo

Linda, I'm August, formerly Eat-A-Chocolate-Bar-Every-Day. :7

I never, never ever thought I could get to a day when I didn't need a dessert after every meal. :) There was no way going cold turkey would cut it for me, and sucking on a mint or hard candy after a meal... Nuh uh.

I still treat myself to stuff now and then, but I can FINALLY go days without eating a candy bar. In fact, I don't even remember the last time I had or even craved a candy bar now, which shocks the he!! out of me.

What broke me of the habit?

I must thank a wonderful woman named Mattea! She put out a "recipe" for a "healthy butterfinger," which was mashing up a date with some old-fashioned oats and organic peanut butter. I've got to say, it's totally delicious and I was able to completely substitute desserts with this. At first, I'd have several a day ;) . Then I was able to get down to a couple after dinner. Then I started leaving the oats out and just put a dab of organic peanut butter on a date. This did it for me.

Now I'll often have just a spoonful of organic peanut butter, or just a piece of fruit for dessert, and I feel totally satisfied. Man, I can't believe I wrote that! LOL.

Good luck, you'll get there!!

Oh, by the way, have you tried putting chocolate protein powder into tofu or yogurt? That's really yummy, and is totally desserty but good for you!

I once I put fruit in the same category as sugar, and feared what was considered to be "high glycemic" such as bananas and carrots. Carb phobia has caused us to have become fruit fearing people. The problem with that is an acid based diet that can lead to many health problems.

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm

Here is another great article.
http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/carbroundtable.htm

The key is balance and to eat as close to nature as possible. Avoid anything processed. When you reach for the turkey, you really should have a veggie and/or a piece of fruit to balance the acidity of protein.
Don't forget the fat!

Here are a few more links you may find interesting...

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/6/1051

http://www.acid-base.de/sbf5.htm

Quote by fit44:
I have the same issues. I often refer to myself as a "sugar junkie".
I've been following a nutrition plan written by John Berardi called Precision Nutrition. The plan is made up of whole foods and healthy fats. I only need to be 90% compliant on this plan, which means out of 42 feeding opportunities in a week, I can have 4 cheats. What's weird, I'm not wanting any cheats! I'm happy reaching for nature's sugar- a piece of fruit, or yogurt with chocolate protein(tastes like chocolate pudding

I've been thinking of getting Precision Nutrition. Do you think it is worth the money for the whole package? Or is reading over at his site enough? I did get the weeks worth of emails giving some info. on Procision Nutrition. It sounds really good.

I love sugar! When I was a kid I use to eat the packets of sugar that you got at restaurants!

When I was first losing weight I would allow myself a sweet treat after dinner. I was raised where I had to have something sugary after lunch and dinner and it was really hard to kick that habit. I started out eating 1 low-fat pop-tart and gradually weaned myself down to fruit or a small square of organic dark chocolate. What really has helped me is to be mindful of what I'm about to do instead of just shoving food in my face, which I am very good at by the way. I always think before I eat and think about it if I really want to sabotage the hard work that I've done. I remember one time in the early stages of losing weight when I was at work and someone brought donuts in. My resolve was very strong in the morning but by 4:00 my willpower was diminishing. There was 1 chocolate donut with sprinkles left and it seemed to be calling my name. I remember standing it in the breakroom staring at it trying to rationalized whether to eat it or not. I was going to workout after work so what was the big deal in eating it but I knew that if I ate it, I would hate myself. I left the breakroom, walked down the hall and back to my office and decided not to eat it. It was a big realization for me. Now I'm always mindful of what I eat and it has really helped. It's always a challenge and most times I beat it.

I thought my precision nutrition package was worth every cent! It is pricey, but he sends you alot in the package. You get two dvd's of his nutrtional seminars- truly motivating and inspiring! The recipe book is chuck full of tasty recipes, and two audio cd's that are great for reinforcing the lifestyle. This is not a quick fix program- it is a lifestyle.

If you are apprehensive about spending the money, you can buy his latest book "The Metabolism Advantage" . This book gives the PN program in a nutshell. The actual PN plan gives you a one size fits all nutrition plan, then teaches you step by step how to tailor it to your specific needs.
I purchased both and I do not regret the money. It is something that I will use the rest of my life. Cathe's workouts compliment his program beautifully.
I read anything and everything JB writes. If nutrition were a religion, JB is my preacher!

You can find more about him and several articles @ www.johnberardi.com

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.