Twitching eyelid

Stebby

Cathlete
My lower left eyelid has been twitching on and off, mostly on, since about April. Has anyone ever had this? Could it be a symptom of a larger problem? I have my annual physical with my doctor next week and will ask her then, but in the meantime it would be good to know of others' experiences.

Thanks,
Stebby

My upper eyelid will twitch when I'm under stress. It resolves itself when I'm able to relax and resolve the stress.

I've experience twitching on my lower eyelid. I remember having it twitch for a number of weeks off and on. I didn't go to the doctor but a couple of people told me it was possibly due to stress. It eventually went away.

Stebby - It's pretty common and it's usually nothing bad, although since you are going to the doctor anyways, it's worth mentioning. Here's a list of common causes that I got off of eyedoctorguide.com:

• Corneal irritation or injury
  • Stress
  • Lack of sleep
  • Fatigue
  • Prolonged staring or eye strain
  • Neurological disorders
  • Possibly Hereditary

Thanks everyone! Stress is a pretty likely explanation so I will hope that's all it is! Liann, thank you so much for looking those possible causes up for me!

Stebby

Mine twitched on and off for several years. It got pretty bad and I'm sure it was stress and nerves. Now that I'm separated from my husband and not living under emotional abuse it has completely stopped. I think stress, nerves, and fear can affect us more than we realize. At the time, eye twitching was the least of my worries but it was so irritating b/c I had a serious twitch going on! Good luck!!!

For me, it happens when I am chronically sleep deprived. Once I catch up on good sleep, it magically goes away.

My left eyelid has been twitching for almost two years! Rarely does a day go by when it doesn't. My optomotrist is not concerned nor is my Dr. When I am on vacation for a bit, it does seem to cease a bit...so stress and fatigue seem to be the culprit.

It can drive me nuts though! :)

Twitching eyelids or other muscles can be due to lack of magnesium. Take 500 mg at night or soak in a hot bath with 1 cup of epsom salts. It might take a couple of weeks until your body starts to react to the magnesium.

Magnesium also helps with relaxation and sleep.

Yup!

Stress? Check! ;)
Fatigue? Check! ;)
Lack of sleep? Check! ;)

That explains my twitching left eyelid... Thanks for the info, Liann!

Yup!

Stress? Check!
Fatigue? Check!
Lack of sleep? Check!

That explains my twitching upper left eyelid ;) Thanks for the info, Liann!

My left lid twitches sometimes too.

I had a doctor tell me once that the cramps I sometimes get in my calves or my instep was from a potasium deficiency so I should try eating more bananas. So when my eye twitches I try eating more bananas too. I don't know if it helps or not, but my eye does stop twitching after a while. I've never had it twitch more then a day or so.

Of course my husband claims that I advocate eating more bananas for everything.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.