Tummy Tuck - Advice Please

mbschneider

Cathlete
Hello,
I am 17 months post-partum and have not regained my stomach due to terrible diastasis. I am 5 feet tall, 97 lbs, but look 4-5 months pregnant. I have been to a plastic surgeon who says he can sew my muscles back together and that will flatten things out. I want to proceed - however, I am concerned about recovery since my husband can only take 1 week of from work to help me post-op. Does anyone know what the recovery time is for a tummy tuck? Will I be okay to get around and care for my toddler after about a week or so? Thanks!

No solid answer for you but I would say talk with your plastic surgeon. He should be able to give you a time line. IMO I would think it would take more than a week though. My sister had a breast reduction, although not the same as a tummy tuck it was several weeks before she could lift her arms, I'm thinking at least 3.

Good luck with it though.

Information

Check out www.liposite.com. They have lots of info, before-and-after pix, and stories from patients about the procedure, recovery, etc.

Please make sure that you do your research first, and choose a board-certified plastic surgeon who is very experienced with the procedure. Look at before-and-after pictures of his work, find out the possible risks, and then make your decision.

Surgery -- of any type -- involves risk, so it's good to be fully informed and feel that you're making the best choice.

Good luck!

I would follow your doctors instructions. I'm pretty sure you will need at least 6 weeks(or longer) before you can pick up or pull on your toddler.
You may need help for more than a week. You will most likely have drains for the first several days. I'm not sure how long before you can stand up straight.
Everyone recovers at a different rate.

Again, please talk to your doctor. If you need help for more than a week, you can hire someone to come in during the day. Your PS can provide you with resources.

No driving for two weeks. Don't even think about picking up the toddler or carrying a load of clothes. You will have a tight bandage around your mid section and will need help putting it back on after you shower which won't be for a week.

This is major surgery. There are usually two types - a full TT or a parital TT. The partial does not involve cutting around the belly button.

I would not advise it if you are planning on having more children. Wait until you are done.

And get a second opinion!!

I have been to a plastic surgeon who says he can sew my muscles back together and that will flatten things out.

That doesn't sound like a tummy tuck. For a tummy tuck, they cut out a part of the skin and muscle and fat (like a wedge shape), then sew the edges together. Theres a big chunk o' skin and stuff that is tossed away (I've seen Dr. 90210 ;)).

This sounds like a less drastic procedure.

I'd ask the surgeon, who would know better how long recovery would take, and if 1 week is sufficient to have someone else doing the care.

That doesn't sound like a tummy tuck. For a tummy tuck, they cut out a part of the skin and muscle and fat (like a wedge shape), then sew the edges together. Theres a big chunk o' skin and stuff that is tossed away (I've seen Dr. 90210 ;)).

No, it is a tummy tuck. The most extensive procedure they do. It's very expensive. Her insurance my cover part of it because it is a repair. The surgeon has to repair muscles that split during pregnancy.
Dr. 90210 is a non-certified clown! JMO:)

Here is a forum you can get on to ask questions.
http://www.allaboutplasticsurgery.com/tummy-tuck/index.html

Hello,
I am 17 months post-partum and have not regained my stomach due to terrible diastasis.

What the doctor is talking about is that her abs have formed a "fissure" so to speak that runs vertical. They go in and reconstruct the ab wall and then do the tuck.

I had a tummy tuck almost 2 years ago. I also had my muscles pulled back together if you will....I was in bed pretty much all the time for 2 weeks, and it was a good 5-6 weeks before I was healed..After about 3 weeks, I was able to pick up my 2 year old while I was sitting, but could not pick her up standing..You also have to keep your midsection still...No twisting or bending or turning your upper body...You will not be able to care for your child alone after 1 week..you will need help...All that said, I am very glad I had it done, but I would wait until you are done having babies..Good Luck no matter what you decide....

Hi!
I had a tummy tuck on July 9th...the first two days were sore...just getting up and down...I was never in "pain" to be honest the hardest part was the it took me a while to 'wake up' from the anethesia. My husband took off two days to drive me to the ps for my post op next day check up. My surgery was on a Wednesday...my mom stayed with me until Saturday, and my husband was there until Sunday...Monday, I was at home alone with a 5, 3 and 1 year old. I couldn't lift my one year old. I'd sit and let her crawl up into my lap. I had one drainage tube for one week and it was awkward, but managable...
I like you, had my abdomen destoyed by three pregnancies....my muscles were completely separated. But the tummy tuck is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time! I don't have a kangaroo pouch anymore! I can wear my clothes again!!!! and not have a muffin top!
Hope I have helped, let me know if you have anymore 'patient' related questions and I'll try to help you!
Mandy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.