TTC...How Long Did It Take You?

believer02

Cathlete
As a 31 year old woman attempting to get pregnant, I was wondering what other experiences women across the board have had with trying to conceive. I have been TTC my first child for the last 3 months with no results. I thought it would happen quicker than this, but looking at a fertility chart reveals I have approximately a 15-20% chance for conception each month I ovulate. I am currently charting my cycles hoping to maximize my chances. These odds seem daunting, and I was wondering if there are any other women that found it difficult to get pregnant.

Thanks to anyone willing to share their experiences! If you have any tips, they would be great too!

Dawn

At 33 years old it took me about 8 months to get pregnant . At 35 it took me about 6 months. The difficulty conceiving is usually timing. A great book is taking charge of your fertility. With dd#1 , I got pregnant 2 months after reading the book. Good luck and be patient!

Thanks for your help! I am reading TCOYF--it has been helpful. I am slowly losing my preassumption that it would be easy for me to get pregnant. My younger sis has been pregnant at least 5 times. At my age, it is going to perhaps take a little longer.

Thank you again!

Dawn

I'm 30 and my husband and I have been ttc for over nine months now... I am getting very discouraged. I've put all my pregnancy books, thermometer, charts, and the like away and out of view so as it's not all that I'm thinking of every single day. It's helped but so far no results. :eek:( Friends that have children keep saying to me that I have to relax... but then my Mom or a friend will call and ask, "are you pregnant yet?" I'm like, "don't you think I'd tell you if I was?" Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Kelly

Kelly, first you may want to check in with your doctor. Next examine your temp. charting, did it show you ovulated? Temp charting is great to look at patterns but won't help you get pregnant since usually by the time the temp shift has occurred, you have already ovulated. As I mentioned, get the book taking charge of your fertility. Don't get frustrated and think something is wrong with you. I know tons of people who pregnant right away and others that had to work at it. I do relate though I was close to tears during the months of trying to conceive dd#1. I was sure I'd need medical intervention but didn't. I realized for me the problem was an irregular cycle. Through charting, I realized I conceived dd#1 on day 28 of my cycle and became pregnant this time on day 21. If you can access the archives , I actually posted before getting pregnant with dd#1 with a post "why is it so hard to get pregnant?".

Shopaholic,

Thank you for the advice. :) It is greatly appreciated. I will try to find TCOYF at the bookstore the next time I go. I'm not sure I want to start charting my cycles again because I found that I was thinking about it and looking at the charts analyzing it every waking moment (I tend to get obsessed about these things LOL)... plus, "baby-dancing" ends up being a chore for us. I am definately interested in the book though.

Thanks again. BTW, congrats on your pregnancy!!

Kelly:)

TCOYF is a great book to start learning fertiltiy awareness, but there are limitations to the information.obtained. For example, a thermal shift does not indicate a woman has ovulated only that an ovulatory event has occured. For women who are avoiding pregnancy, this may be enough information but for women trying to conceive this is not enough. I have studied an ovulation method (cervical mucus) and it is amazing what underlying issues (PCOS, infertililty, risk for miscarriage, etc.) can be identified by charting the cervical mucus. In fact, there is an science based on this specific ovulation method. My kids are going wild so I gotta run. If you want more info, feel free to PM or email me.

Autumn

Yes, I used TCOYF to AVOID pregnancy after coming off the BC pills in Oct. Sure enough, preggo in December. I had told my OB/GYN I was taking my temps., etc and he said "Do you know what they call people like you??? Parents!" Sure enough, 1 month later, pregnancy with baby #1. Husband is thrilled to death. I am excited but more nervous than anything!

Good luck with TTC :)

I went off the pill last March and had very irregular periods (anywhere from 40-56 days) up until I was finally able to conceive in February (we only tried from October on mind you). I was charting my temps for 4 months because I really had no idea when I was ovulating and it helped a little. I also started taking Evening Primrose Oil which is supposed to help with conception (it helps to produce more vaginal fluid making it more receptive to the sperm or something along those lines). You are only supposed to take it from the first day of your period up until you get your period and then stop for the rest of the month until your next period begins. I only took it for about a month and it may have been a total coincidence, but I definitely knew when I ovulated that month! There was a huge increase in fluid and sure enough a few weeks later I found out I was pregnant.
Hope this helps.

I just turned 31. We started TTC when I was 29. I went off the pill in August. Started ovulating around cycle day 18 regularly. Got pregnant finally after 8 months. Unfortunately that ended in a miscarriage and D&C at 9 weeks. Another 8 months went by...no luck. Finally the doctor tried me on a round of Clomid 50 mg cycle day 5-9. That did the trick. I think I just needed a little boost. There are 3 women at work right now that are having Clomid babies :)
I'm now 23 weeks. Good luck to you. It can be a very stressful, heartbreaking time. I'm hoping you get pregnant nice and fast. It is such an exciting time.

Janna

http://lilypie.com]
.png
[/url]

Hey I'm 30 TTC. My husband is gone two weeks and home two weeks so I figured I'll be ovulating while he's gone. we've been trying for only a month so we'll see how long it take. I'm not in a hurry right now. Will that book help me change my ovulation time if needed? LOL

Farrah

HI Dawn,

I was TTC, off and on for 4 yrs:eek: I went off of my BC the yr I got married, just b/c my periods were all over the place and I never went back on them. About 2 yrs after we were married we had DH checked (b/c I already have a 10 yr old) and we found out that he did have a low sperm count and although it wasn't impossible for us to get pregnant, it would take a while.
So another 2 yrs later of not really thinking about it but just not using any BC, I decided maybe I needed to get checked out. Last month they ran a couple of test on me. One being, where they ran dye through my tubes to see if I had any blockages and they said that I didn't but the picture on the screen told me different and if I did have a blockage well...this cleaned them out.(Alot of women have success with getting pregnant after this procedure.)He then told me to call him when I start my period.
I waited a few days but my period was MIA but I really didn't think I was pregnant, but I am. And it still seems very unreal! I cannot beleive it and I keep waiting for something bad to happen.Not a good way to think I know.

Anyway, sorry so long but sometimes it isn't as easy as our mothers made it out to be just to keep us away from boys! LOL It will happen for you, just give it time and its only been 3 monthes.

Lori:)

You all are too wonderful--I really appreciate your heart-felt stories. I am charting, using Pre-Seed, taking B6 to enlongate my luteal phase, and trying not to stress about making a baby! I am going to test this week to see if 4 months of TTC will make this month the one. Thank you again!

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

I am also trying to get pregnant and having difficulty. Being only 24 I thought it would be no problem but nothing since October. I have just started on natural progestone cream to hopefully help.

I totally understand also about putting everything away because I too become obsessed with it. I was taking my temp everyday and checking cervical fuild but now I am just hopping that nature will take its course.

Hopefully you and I will have some good news to share soon. Just know that you are not alone.

Hannah

Dawn & Hanna,

I'm 26 and I'm also TTC. We have been trying since January and
no luck yet. It is definitely harder than I thought it would be.
Best wishes to you.

Kathy

I've been lucky with the quickness...but not with them sticking which was pretty devastating.

I've been pregnant 4 times (I have two babies). I got pregnant the first month each time. We did the deed pretty much every day and we never went more than one day without. It became a chore each time.... Anyways, the two I ended up losing were the ones that I got pregnant the first month off the pill. I don't think that had anything to do with it because I almost got out of the first trimester with one of them. I had to have a D&C with both miscarriages so we had to wait 3 cycles to try again.

Hannah and Kathy:

I am sorry to hear that we are all in the same boat--hopefully, we will be pregnant soon. Beginning today, I am on to Cycle 5. I am wondering when it will be time to seek out professional help. I have been charting for 2 months, so hopefully there will be a BFP soon! Please keep us updated on how you both are doing. A great website to check on with other ladies TTC is www.twoweekwait.com. You will find a lot of encouragement there.

Much hope to you both,
Dawn :0)

Dawn,

I checked out twoweekwait.com and I like it. It is so nice to have other women to talk to about this. Especially when ALL of my friends have children or are pregnant. Keep us updated as well.

Hannah

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.