TRX any opinion?

WantFit

Cathlete
Hi,

With Cathe's new workout, I am looking for more portable use of these series. Did anyone of you use TRX? Can you give me some feed back? I am thinking to use TRX with new series. Is it worth to spend $190 for a bunch of straps? Thanks.

I used them for months when I was working out with a trainer and I LOVE them!! They really give an amazing workout. I would love to buy them but I really don't have any place to mount them. The give an amazing burn like no other!
Good luck!

Ditto the above! I keep my TRX packed for travel - it goes nearly everywhere with me. I use the door anchor, and have heard of people using the Iron Gym as an anchor point too (though that sounds a little dangerous ...).

Anyway, while I own most of the workouts now, thanks to several Christmas presents from others and birthday presents to self, I used to use the TRX with traditional strength traniing DVDs. What works for me there is to do use the dvd as a kind of inspiration and select a similar move on the TRX. Pyramid upper body is an example of a good Cathe dvd for TRX - you can increase the intensity by moving your feet rather than increasing the weight.

I LOVE TRX

I discovered it this summer at my gym. I love what it is doing for my body in that it forces you to incorporate your core strength while doing everything- it also helps to balance out both sides of my body.

I made my own straps and I use them on the iron gym- [I will tell you how to make them if you are interested) just make sure that you are on the opposite side of the door so that you pull the iron gym against the door jam- not away from it-- I do not know if Cathe's tower would be stronge enough- but it might be.

At the gym we do circuits of high reps with compound moves- for example deep squats pull up to bicep curls- the thing that is great about the TRX is that when you squat- you can teach your body how to get lower and lower because you have the strap for support

At home I have used it with just music, tonique for all of the lunges and squats- I have adapted cathes lower body tapes and also the ab work where plank, side plank and the ones where your feet are on paper plates- instead your feet are in the straps and you can pike and do mountain climbers-- it is a great tool! I think it should be Cathes new WO!

Could you kindly direct me to a site about TRX. This sounds amazing and I am definitley interested. Thank you! I have never heard of this but will buy it for sure based on your post here.

Thank you ladies for your feedback.
hrcfitnees: why did you say you don't have place to mount them. Do they require special mounting door or hinges?
Shadowpup: I had all Cahthe DVDs you mentioned. It is very encouraging. Which TRX workouts do you think most worthy to have? What's your opinions on Winter Sports conditioning one?
iron-mom: if you don't mind, could you please give me your How-to make your own straps. If just straps and a few pieces of parts, pro-package charging $190 seems high to me.
fitafifty: here is its own website:http://learn.fitnessanywhere.com/. If you do google "TRX training", you will find tons of workout videos in youtube.

For those who did buy it:can you let me know where did you buy it, via amazon.com or TRX's own website? Which package do you recommend? Pro pack is it good to start and worth the $$? Did TRX come out new version material? Can I buy used one?

Thanks

The TRX is an amazing tool. There was a rumor that there were some fakes being sold so just be careful if you don't buy from TRX. Either way, TRX came out with a new one late last year and it offers upgrades to their previous one that are, in my opinion, worth it. As for an anchor, you can use the door anchor, in which you just need a door to close and ample room on either side of the door to move - maybe 6 feet in either direction, plus about that, at least for going forward. It works a bit better if your anchor point is directly above. I use mine outside and used an eye hook. Works perfectly and while TRX sells an anchor if you want it, they recommend an eye hook if you talk to them directly. You will get an amazing workout using it, activating your core the entire time. Great for shoulder stability too. They have some great workouts but some are not real time, yet they are still good to learn and then do on your own. The workouts (unless you do downloads) come with a spiral book of the workout so you can follow without the DVD. Great for taking outdoors. I find that using this in place of weights is much kinder to my joints. It is fun and just as challenging, if not more so. The TRX is hitting all of the major sporting scenes. Todd Durkin's new book incorporates it quite a bit, and he also has some good DVDs out for TRX.

Thanks, Shana. I will order it thru TRX site then. So you recommend that I should call over the phone so that I can talk about eye hook?

As for using TRX, how does your workout schedule? Using it 3 times a day to replace weight workout? Do you add your aerobic workout or it can be used as aerobic work out?

Thanks

The TRX is an amazing tool. There was a rumor that there were some fakes being sold so just be careful if you don't buy from TRX. Either way, TRX came out with a new one late last year and it offers upgrades to their previous one that are, in my opinion, worth it. As for an anchor, you can use the door anchor, in which you just need a door to close and ample room on either side of the door to move - maybe 6 feet in either direction, plus about that, at least for going forward. It works a bit better if your anchor point is directly above. I use mine outside and used an eye hook. Works perfectly and while TRX sells an anchor if you want it, they recommend an eye hook if you talk to them directly. You will get an amazing workout using it, activating your core the entire time. Great for shoulder stability too. They have some great workouts but some are not real time, yet they are still good to learn and then do on your own. The workouts (unless you do downloads) come with a spiral book of the workout so you can follow without the DVD. Great for taking outdoors. I find that using this in place of weights is much kinder to my joints. It is fun and just as challenging, if not more so. The TRX is hitting all of the major sporting scenes. Todd Durkin's new book incorporates it quite a bit, and he also has some good DVDs out for TRX.

No - you just get the eye hook at Home Depot or somewhere like that. Any hardware store will have one. Wait until you get the TRX to know what size you need the TRX hook to go through. Ordering the TRX online is fine - I was working with a girl on the phone for another reason and she told me about the eye hook.

I use it 3 times a week for weight work. When the mood strikes, I will do weights just to satisfy that urge. ;) And yes, you can do cardio with the TRX! You can also rope it around a playground structure, big tree limb, etc. If you don't have something up high enough, then do the eye hook or door anchor. If you use the hook, just be sure to bolt it into a beam since it will be supporting your entire body weight.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.