Trouble holding dumbbell

gigstar1

Cathlete
So my workout card is telling me to use a 34lb dumbbell for the leg press. But it's pretty hard for me to hold. Legs are fine but arms and hands are killing. Anyone else having trouble just holding the heavy dumbbells that this workout calls for?

Lisa

I am having the same problem. I have tiny hands, so even my 25's are hard for me to hold for very long. I think the weighted vest might help with that, so that we still are working against the right amount of weight, but not all in the hands. Others have also recommended hooks (you can search for those threads). Good luck!

Well the exercise in question was the leg press where Cathe is holding one dumbbell. In the video it doesn't look like she is struggling to hold it but looks can be deceiving I guess. But if 34lbs is only 65% of my 1RM for this exercise then I have no clue how I'm going to go heavier. I don't know if wrist hooks will work for this. I guess a weighted vest but I wasn't expecting to use one just for this type of exercise.

description of mine...
The hooks have a 2" strap that wraps around your wrist (secured by velcro) and a part that comes down across your palm that is relatively hard, and then curves up to form a hook (about 1" wide and covered with fabric). The dumbell or barbell can rest in this hook area while you grasp the dumbell or barbell with your hand and fingers around all of that...the hook and weight. It may sound weird to have that hook in the middle of your palm, but it is not bothersome. It takes a lot of the weight off of your fingers and forearm (but not all...you still have to hold it or it will fall out of your hand). It enables you (or me at least) to do a lot more weight and/or a lot more reps when my hands/forearms feel like they'll give out first on a leg exercise.

The wraps serve the same purpose, but they are basically strips of fabric (some as simple as a length of webbing material, 1-2" wide, fancier ones have a velcro wrist-wrap as part of the arrangement) that you wrap around your hand/wrist/bar such that the end of it tucks under your grip to secure it. Once you get it on, it works just as well (or sometimes better, since the weight can't really "tip" out) than the hooks, but it can be very hard to put on the second one by yourself once the first hand is already wrapped and attached.

Well the exercise in question was the leg press where Cathe is holding one dumbbell. In the video it doesn't look like she is struggling to hold it but looks can be deceiving I guess. But if 34lbs is only 65% of my 1RM for this exercise then I have no clue how I'm going to go heavier. I don't know if wrist hooks will work for this. I guess a weighted vest but I wasn't expecting to use one just for this type of exercise.

With the leg press you could always hold two smaller DBs, one in each hand. That would make it less of a struggle and you could concentrate on your legs. Do what works for you ;)

Another option: s-l-o-w the move down, to reduce the momentum that helps get you up. You'll find that the muscles have to work a bit harder this way.

You could also add weight in the form of a weighted belt (two ankle weights linked together).

Or perhaps increase the height of the step (stll within safe range for you: the knee shouldn't be 'tighter' than a 90-degree angle at the bottom of the move.

Or try a combo of the above, until you find a version that is challenging yet doable (and safe) for you.

HTH!

description of mine...
The hooks have a 2" strap that wraps around your wrist (secured by velcro) and a part that comes down across your palm that is relatively hard, and then curves up to form a hook (about 1" wide and covered with fabric). The dumbell or barbell can rest in this hook area while you grasp the dumbell or barbell with your hand and fingers around all of that...the hook and weight. It may sound weird to have that hook in the middle of your palm, but it is not bothersome. It takes a lot of the weight off of your fingers and forearm (but not all...you still have to hold it or it will fall out of your hand). It enables you (or me at least) to do a lot more weight and/or a lot more reps when my hands/forearms feel like they'll give out first on a leg exercise.

The wraps serve the same purpose, but they are basically strips of fabric (some as simple as a length of webbing material, 1-2" wide, fancier ones have a velcro wrist-wrap as part of the arrangement) that you wrap around your hand/wrist/bar such that the end of it tucks under your grip to secure it. Once you get it on, it works just as well (or sometimes better, since the weight can't really "tip" out) than the hooks, but it can be very hard to put on the second one by yourself once the first hand is already wrapped and attached.

That's what I have. I LOVE my hooks. The basic theory behind them being your hands are weaker than many other bodyparts so the hooks (or wraps) and the muscles you're working support the weight instead of your hands. They're great for back & trap work too.

The only problem w/hooks & wraps is they're kinda tough to use w/neoprene covered weights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.