Trigger Finger

Beanie

Cathlete
When I was telling someone about my finger they told me I had trigger finger. I thought it was a joke cause I never heard of it. So I looked it up on the internet and no it wasn't a joke. When I am sleeping my middle finger gets stuck in a bent position and I have to use the other hand to get it out of that position because it will not straighten out otherwise. It really freaked me out cause it wakes me out of my sleep and I think OMG it's not going to straighten out and will be stuck like that forever. Which can happen.
I have gone to the doctor two times for a cortizone shot..Boy, did that hurt. So he told me this is my last time and then I have to have surgery. So far with this shot my finger has not gotten stuck at night but it does trigger throughout the day when my hand is gripped around something and then I release my finger.
The doctor has told me that trigger finger is very common. I think the constant repetious and holding onto the weights did it for me. I have thought about using the band but that would have the same effect for me.
I really want to weight train..I haven't done a thing as far as working out..I know I could do cardio but I want to weight train also. It's just very annoying.
Anyone have this? I was just curious.
If you never seen this look it up. I call it my freaky finger.

Jeanean

Hi,

Just read your post. I have never had "trigger finger", but my son has....literally from a trigger (he is in the military). I have had several patients (him being one of them) who have been treated successfully with Physical Therapy (I am one).

Think about it first, before surgery. My experience has been with my patients that surgery is never that successful and they end up with a whole new set of problems.

Elizabeth

I am an occupational therapist who specializes in hand therapy, trigger fingers are fairly common in our clinic. I would agree with Elizabeth that surgery is a last option as it comes with it's own problems. If you decide to go with the surgery definitely go with a plastic surgeon that specializes in hand surgery not a general surgeon but I would try physio in combination with a splint from an occupational therapist (so that it is custom moulded not a prefabricated one) before opting for surgery.

I had a trigger thumb and physical therapy has completely healed it. I had therapy in May and no problems since probably June. When sitting at a stoplight or on the phone, I try to remember to do the thumb exercises as preventation. I started doing weights in August and still never a problem. So, another vote for physical therapy before surgery!

When I was telling someone about my finger they told me I had trigger finger. I thought it was a joke cause I never heard of it. So I looked it up on the internet and no it wasn't a joke. When I am sleeping my middle finger gets stuck in a bent position and I have to use the other hand to get it out of that position because it will not straighten out otherwise. It really freaked me out cause it wakes me out of my sleep and I think OMG it's not going to straighten out and will be stuck like that forever. Which can happen.
I have gone to the doctor two times for a cortizone shot..Boy, did that hurt. So he told me this is my last time and then I have to have surgery. So far with this shot my finger has not gotten stuck at night but it does trigger throughout the day when my hand is gripped around something and then I release my finger.
The doctor has told me that trigger finger is very common. I think the constant repetious and holding onto the weights did it for me. I have thought about using the band but that would have the same effect for me.
I really want to weight train..I haven't done a thing as far as working out..I know I could do cardio but I want to weight train also. It's just very annoying.
Anyone have this? I was just curious.
If you never seen this look it up. I call it my freaky finger.

Jeanean

My dad had surgery on two fingers to correct trigger finger, next to each other, a few weeks ago. He's lifting (light) weights again already. He's 80 years old. He had gotten the cortisone shots before that to help with the movement. He seems very pleased with the results from the surgery.
Good luck to you.

Julia

My mother had trigger finger 2 times and for the most part, received cortisone injections with successful results. I absolutely agree with the others. Try physical therapy, chiropractors, osteopaths even acupuncturists before surgery. You should be able to find successful treatments with one of these. I wish you a speedy solution.

Bam

Thanks everyone for your replies. My finger got stuck in the middle of the night. Sometimes I wake up with my hands in fists while sleeping. Maybe I am dreaming of Kick, Punching and Crunching in my sleep. lol I will ask the doctor about PT when I go again. I really don't want to have surgery if possible. Thanks again for all your advice.

Jeanean

The second cortisone shot helped me. I also did stretches for my thumb (I had trigger thumb). My chiropractor also adjusted it and I had a couple acupuncture sessions. Today, knock on wood, it is still good. My second cortisone shot was in April, so I'm hoping this will be the last I need. I agree that surgery should be your last option. I know everyone heals differently, but my neighbor had the surgery and he still can't use his thumb correctly. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.