Triceps/Biceps

goldenpath

Cathlete
When lifting weights using your triceps and biceps, what type of weight combination should you be using:

1. Even weight for Triceps and Biceps.
2. Heavier for Triceps and Lighter for Biceps.
3. Heavier for Biceps and Lighter for Triceps.

I want my arms to be balanced but I am really not sure on the weight combination.

Thanks for your help.

Debbie

I don't know what you *should* use but I use lighter weights for triceps and heavier weights for biceps.

Missy

>I don't know what you *should* use but I use lighter weights
>for triceps and heavier weights for biceps.

Ditto.

For tricep kickbacks I use lighter weights than biceps but for overhead extensions, I can go pretty heavy. (Except I'm only using one dumbell for both triceps so that would probably still be lighter than the combo of the two dumbells I use for bicep curls...) Alright, I'm babbling......

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

For me, in an endurance workout the poundage would be lower and the poundage would almost be about equal.

For slower and heavier workouts.
I can heavy up on triceps (ex. 25lbs for overhead), but I can't do the same for biceps. I can only do a few 20lb dumbbell reps for biceps. 15lbs. would be my norm.

Then everything slightly change up in poundage if I use a barbell.

It's normal to have certain muscle group stronger than others. As long as you train them equally, then the weight combination shouldn't matter.

Namita

Lift as heavy as you can for the exercise (the last 2 reps should be tough).

The triceps are a bigger muscle group, but I suspect that because of the different leverage, most people use lighter weights for triceps than for biceps.

Kathryn,

> The triceps are a bigger muscle group, but I suspect that because of the different leverage, most people use lighter weights for triceps than for biceps.

That is news to me. I always thought my biceps and shoulders were smaller muscle groups compare to biceps because I always use lighter weights for these.

What do you mean by different leverage exactly?

Yen

>What do you mean by different leverage exactly?

The way the joints move and the length of the lever (arm) makes a weight 'feel' lighter or heavier (which is why sometimes shorter people, who have shorter levers, can lift heavier than people with longer arms/levers).

The 'curling' motion seems easier to do (and therefore easier to use heavier weights with) than the 'extension' motion (I think because the 'curling' motion of a bicep move is a shortening motion, while the 'extension' motion of a triceps move is a lengthening motion.)

Perhaps 'leverage' isn't the right term, but then I'm not sure what is ;-).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.