Trans Fats?

princesscko

Cathlete
If I'm looking at a food label and it states that total fat is 1.5 grams; the unsaturated fats are 1 gram in total and there is 0 saturated fat per serving: what is the unaccounted for .5 gram of fat?

The ingredients don't mention anything close to "partially hydrogenated oils", so it's probably not trans fats. So what is it? Does anyone know? (This is a label for whole wheat bread, by the way)

-Chiquita

I think (not TOTALLY sure) that on Nutrition Facts labelling, they round up and round down.

So the actual amount of unsaturated fats is probably just over 1.0 , so they rounded down to 1.0 . But the actual amount of saturated fats is probably close to zero, but slightly above, so they rounded down. But when the two actual numbers are added together (before rounding up or down) they equal close to 1.5 .

Does this make sense? This is my guess.

Maybe someone knows for sure.

Edited to add: trans fats are part of saturated and unsaturated fats. Not sure which they fall under. So, no they wouldn't be part of the equation.

I looked it up.

Trans fats are unsaturated fatty acids formed when vegetable oils are processed and made more solid or into a more stable liquid. This processing is called hydrogenation.

That's why they are so deceiving. They technically fall under unsaturated, but are much worse than even saturated fats. That's why they should be listed on Nutrition Facts!

Now you can REALLY sleep well tonight, Chiquita!

Even more deceiving is a product can actually claim to be "Fat Free" and yet the second or even first ingredient begins with hydrogenated...frustratingx( Supposedly by 2006 products are going to have to list trans fats. That's why I think eating clean is so motivating. Except when it comes to chocolate :9 you have to treat yourself every now and then!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.