Trail run - questions

spyrosmom

Cathlete
I'm looking at signing up for a 5.5 mile trail run in October. With the exception of the Warrior Dash, which was more of an obstacle course, all my runs/races have been on paved surfaces. What do I need to do different for a trail run? What do I need to know? There aren't many non-paved surfaces around home to run, so I can't really practice, so I'd be going in blind. Footwear - can I wear my regular running shoes? I don't know that one race is worth the purchase of a special pair of sneaks.

This is the one I'm looking at doing

http://www.thatsmyrace.com/

Thanks!
Nan

Wow Nan. That looks like fun. I use trail runners they have gripper (if that is in fact a word) tread and more support around the ankles. I hope Travis sees this because she just did a trail run race. Trail runs are a lot harder than paved runs. 2 miles feels like 3 miles and you work harder because of the uneven surfaces. You have to really focus on the ground in front of you because you can easily twist an ankle. Sounds like that race has some tough hill challenges! You go girl. Let us know how it goes.

Hi Nan....I love trail running but it is a bit different than paved road runs. You will be slower than on pavement. It of course would be good if you could run a bit before on some kind of trail to see how it will feel. You can probably use your regular running shoes. This race says your climbing abilities wil be tested so my recommendation is to walk the uphills, and be very careful on the downhills, especially if they are steep ...Other than that have fun!!! And let us know how it goes...:)

I bet you can do it. But, its a lot dirtier, I always end up with dirt brown feet. There is a lot more lateral movement because you may find yourself dodging little holes/rocks etc. You can't zone out at all, its a very mind intensive workout, at least here in my neighborhood. I find myself running on the ball of my foot and not rolling through striking heal first. You might want long tights/pants if its got any kind of brush because bugs on your legs is not fun (happens to me.) Don't smile too much, bugs in the teeth. I'm not just being silly, they really are not tasty. Off road is more intense than on-road workouts for me, I don't know if that will be true for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank ladies!

I think I'm going to sign up on Friday - payday. Nothing beats failure but a try. I was going to do the Monster Dash ( like the Warrior Dash) in October, but I think this is going to be my October challenge. Something different.

Appreciate the wardrobe advice, too. I normally wear capris to run, but long pants might be good for this one. Smiling not an option - I don't smile when I run, I think it may be more of a grimace :p

Nan

trail running

Hi,

I love trail running and that's all I do. I used to be a road runner, but for me it is so boring in comparison to trail running. Everything everyone else said is so true. The only thing I have to add is that I'd try to find somewhere to practice just a little to get a feel for running on uneven surfaces and unstable terrain. It does make a huge difference. I always have one eye on the trail.

I alternate trail runners and regular running shoes. I can now run easily in a very light weight shoes, but when I started I used a shoe with lots of support. If your ankles/knees are not strong and used to maintaining on unstable surfaces it could be difficult or even cause an injury.

Maybe you could add in some drills on the Bosu to prepare!

Have fun!

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.