Tracey's New Workouts - Sweatfest

- Would you say the Step workout is a must have for advanced exercisers?

For advanced exercisers looking for a fun solid 60 minute workout with interesting, challenging but not frustrating choreography I don't think you'd reget the purchase. For advanced exercisers looking for a very intense hour of getting the highest heart rate calorie burn possible, probably not a must have.

I think it's much better than her 1st step workout (and i liked the 1st one!) in that I enjoyed the flow and choreography and Tracey's personality better, but I didn't sweat as much. (But then again, I never really get as good of a workout the 1st time I try a step workout.) I think the choreography is more challenging than Cathe, but I'm very used to Cathe's moves and every other instructor takes a bit to get used to. The choreography gets high marks for the fun factor. The intervals are not up to the Imax level of intensity, but there is one background stepper who does the workout with higher impact that you could follow.

This will be one a reach for often.

I have only done the kickbox so far, I'm going to do step tomorrow on my day off.

I'm on the fence about the workout. Some things I didn't care for were for one I wish the music was louder. I also found some of the arm combos to be more diffcult for me then I thought they should have been. I also had trouble with the double time segements. I couldn't get a good rhythm and found my self to be off.

What I did like was the music. I also like Barbie, she seemed to be having a lot of fun during the workout. I also liked when Tracey did the slower portion of the combos. I didn't feel sweaty but according to hrm I burned 550 calories and worked in my target zone.

I will have to try it a few more times before I can come to a true decision.

Jenn

I'm still waiting for my workouts from Advanced Workouts (they were shipped on Tuesday), but I was wondering about the premixes on Tracey's workouts. She had mentioned a premix on the KB workout of just the faster tempo sections and there was supposed to be a create your own thing on the step workout. It kind of sounded like the workout blender that Cathe had in the series that included KPC. Has anyone previewed the premixes? Thanks.

My opinion may not be popular with fans of Tracy - and I loved her previous workouts. However, I found the kickboxing workout to be boring. I got about 40 minutes into it, and felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again and I stopped doing the workout. I kept waiting for something different, but all the sequences seemed to be of the same format, and I thought it really boring. You start out with punches or blocks, add kicks, and then do it fast and slow and fast again. This was the same format for 40 minutes (or so) that I did the workout.

I have a green belt in Tang Soon Do (a form of karate), and I thought Tracy's form wasn't that great - mostly on the sidekicks. It was obvious that she was trying to keep good form, and she certainly kept reminding the viewer to keep good form. I think that the double-time portions made good form very difficult to maintain - perhaps in future workouts, the double time should be slowed down just a bit. Also, for those of us who have knees that require good form, some of the turns that must be executed for the kicks might be very difficult. In my case, if my knees are twisted too much, it just plain hurts, and I risk injury. The doubletime portions of the workout went so fast that I could not turn my foot appropriately to keep my knees pointed the right way.

I posted on this a few days ago. I forgot to mention what you just said about the double time tempo being a little too fast for good form. It does get the heart rate up - but your form does take a backseat. Plus combo #7 is very hard to get down with the arms at the slower tempo, then when you add the faster tempo, you might as well forget it. I did the workout again last night - I still could not get the punches to that one correctly. I just started doing my own thing. Another part that could be a little frustrating is when Tracey does one to each side and then jumps to the other side to do it - it seemed a little too fast.

That being said, I still enjoyed the workout - I did all jump front kicks and a little more jumping to keep the heart rate up. I thought the 65 minutes flew by and I did not find it boring at all.

I enjoy all types of kickboxing - like Kimberly Spreen's, I do not get my heart rate up real well and I use a 9# body bar during the intervals and I wear 2# weighted gloves for the KB parts. But this is still an excellent workout - the core and my legs and my upper body get a great workout.

Tracey's KB will definitely work the core area with no added resistance that is for sure. That is what I like best about kickboxing anyway.

Cheryl

I received the step workout on Monday and couldn't wait to do it. Though I had to review my DVD several times to get the choreography down, I enjoyed this workout so much. Like several people posted earlier, she keeps reviewing the step sections from the beginning so it's easier to catch on. I couldn't believe how much I sweat, guess that's why they call it a sweatfest. It is a little difficult to follow her cueing, but I think I'm just not used to anyone but Cathe. The music is good and the belly burner add on is wonderful - ouch!!!

>I'm still waiting for my workouts from Advanced Workouts
>(they were shipped on Tuesday), but I was wondering about the
>premixes on Tracey's workouts. She had mentioned a premix on
>the KB workout of just the faster tempo sections and there was
>supposed to be a create your own thing on the step workout.
>It kind of sounded like the workout blender that Cathe had in
>the series that included KPC. Has anyone previewed the
>Me too....:-(
Angela

I've had this workout in my possession for a couple days and after reading all these posts I had to do it tonight and I really liked it but I ALSO like Amy Bento's kickbox extreme. It was a little repetitive at times like Powerstrike can be but was quite varied and the music was really good. I enjoyed it and am happy I have it in my collection.

I felt the same way after doing this as I did with Amy's. After you get the choreography down it will become more fun. A couple double times were difficult to get down but it was the first time I did this DVD. Her form was ok...again...its not kickbox training...its kickbox aerobics. This is the same problem people had with Amy's video.

I have a hard time believing that anyone did not get a good workout with this video. If you are putting power behind your punches and kicks your heartrate should be up. I was sweating quite a bit at the end. IMHO...most kickboxing videos can be...as Cathe would say "as easy or as hard as you want...so what do you want?"

Oh...and about the premixes. There were 2 approx. 20 minute premixes one upper body one and I can't remember the other. Then there was a shorter version of the workout which was like 30 minutes. Unless I'm missing a section that's all I saw.

Sculpt Sweatfest. I liked it, but didn't love it.

It's different, it's fun but I didn't feel like I got a great workout. No sweat in this sweatfest. It's a general toning workout (light weights, no weights) without the cardio aspect. Most of the exercises are done on the floor. Some are done on the stability ball. A few use the bosu (you don't need one for this) There are a lot of exercises you've never seen before. For some exercises I felt the burn, but other muscles just weren't worked enough. She works the core throughout. - It's an excellent core workout, but not really a great total body workout. I don't feel like I got an even workout. My shoulders got a good workout, but not my bis and tris. Nevertheless it was entertaining. I learned a few new moves. Tracey was pleasant. Music was... er... different.

But this will be a workout I do on a lazy day.

I did the kickbocing worlout yesterday. I really enjoyed it. As a advaced exerciser i got a good workout. Not a "I am going to die" workout or a "This is too easy" workout. I also felt it was a good all over tonong workout. You really work the arms, legs and core throughout the workout. I loved all the kicking!

Like with any workout you can make it as easy or as hard as you like. :)

Terri

ETA I also hae her sculpt workout and will be doing it in the next day or so. I will give my thoughts on that one soon.

I finally received my workouts yesterday. I was so happy to open the door and see them sitting there. I only had a chance to preview Tracey's workouts (I'll get to my two CIAs tonight). I purchased the step and kickboxing workouts. I haven't had a chance to try them, but I did like what I saw in the kickboxing workout just watching it. I did recognize the one combo that so many are talking about. I'm not sure if I'll ever master that one, but I am anxious to try it this weekend.

I'm kind of lukewarm about the step workout, but that probably has more to do with me. Step is not my favorite type of workout, so it takes a lot to make me really want to do one. I am a little disappointed in the premixes. Unless I read things wrong everything I thought was going to be there wasn't. One of the things Tracey initially posted after she cut some of the workouts down in time is that there would be some killer premixes, but there was nothing there that I was overly exciting about. Maybe it was because it was late and I was tired or maybe it's because Cathe has us spoiled with killer workouts AND killer premixes.:)

I'm cutting and pasting my own post from VF:

I finally tried Kickbox Sweatfest yesterday (followed by about 10 minutes of shoeless, topless modifying of the hi-lo section, just to cool down some more!).
I have mixed feelings about the workout.

The positives:

good music (though could be louder, and some was already used on her first workouts)

good energy

some new moves (knife hands, several types of blocks) that I'm not used to, which add a challenge

good length

The negatives:
the warm-up is not sufficient: mostly punches, then moving on to front kicks with one leg, then straight leg stretches with the OTHER leg (which hasn't been moving much at all until then! I stretched the same leg we'd been kicking with, which made more sense, but it would be better to warm up the legs for longer before doing them).

Tracey's cuing is sometimes sloppy, and there are a lot of side changes, sometimes with a move change as well (going back to a previous version of a move). She cues the side change, but doesn't clearly cue the move change.

One arm combo (in block, X, back fist, cross, X, hold) needs more of a breakdown (and as you can see, it's long and complicated), and Tracey doesn't seem to be doing what she says all the time. Frustrating.

Sometimes the slow versions of the moves don't parallel the fast version (ie: a move or pause that takes two counts slow SHOULD take 1 count when speeded up, but in one combo in particular, a 2-count hold becomes a '0 count' hold, making it hard to follow at first.

And with Tracey talking about FORM so much in her posts (with her bolding or capitalizing it) I expected it to be a bit better, but I just don't look at the screen that much, and her form is 'good' most of the time (though she tends to pull her punches, and at times, noone does much chambering of kicks).

I can definitely work with it, and may end up liking it a lot more, but the jury's still out on whether it will be a regular workout. I was definitely expecting to like it more.

I got my DVD's yesterday. I did Step Sweatfest section 1 this morning and I loved it. It had fresh and fun moves!!! Just what I needed!
Colleen

Kathryn,
I know what you mean. There is something off with the fast count and how she does the move change. That combo #7 is really tricky even at a slow pace. I have done it 3 times already and that last combo is very frustrating for me. I do enjoy the workout and I think I will end up modifying that particular combo.

Did you notice that Jessica(the martial arts expert) when she does the squats her knees are pushed way out past her toes. The form is not good on her squats at all. I must add that since I have been doing karate for 3 1/2 years myself, that I do notice that in my karate classes. They really do not know the proper form for squatting. They tend to just focus on your kickboxing techniques.

I have really felt Tracey's KB in my core big time. So, I know that is a good thing!

Cheryl

Hi I did Tracey's Kickbox video and Sculpting video this morning.
I was a liitle disappointed in the kickboxing. The warm up was too short, you did high kicks with out warming up your legs, and sometines her form was off. I know it is a cardio tape but I still need to have great form so I will have good form. I kept wishing Ilaria from Powerstrike was there showing me proper form. I do like Tracey's personality alot, and I like how you did the move slowly then double time. It is very helpful to watch the demo portion (in the premixes) before you do the workout. Because on viewing the workout the first time I could not tell what she was doing on some of the punches. I really want to like this workout and am hoping it will grow on me, it didn't have the fun factor of KPC for me. Also I really hated the pants she was wearing. I know that seems silly but the were dreadful and bugged me.
Her sculpting video, I liked, it had some different moves. The first section was floor work and I liked the back exercises. She did some balancing on the stability ball which was amazing, but I would never attempt it because I think I would break my neck. I balanced on my knees on my bosu instead. This workout seemed more like a core workout, and that is probably how I will use it.
It just seems like a workout where I will tack it on after another workout.
Jen

I have now done all three and really do like them all. Love the kickbox and have no complaints at all. I got a really good work out with this... sore today. Love love love the step.. what a fun workout that is.. could not beleive how 60 min flew buy. The sculpt was so different from any type of strengh i do but i did like it a lot.. good core work. I liked all the new moves and did feel it. I will use this one once a week or so as a light day. All in all i love the whole set and so glad i got them. I really like Traceys personality too. I mostly do only Cathe and find i do not like much else. So now with Tracey and Amy Bento i can mix it up a bit.

I finally got my DVDs. Have been waiting! I previewed all of them briefly. I think they all look good. I was never really thrilled with her first weight workout, so I wasn't expecting much with this one. She does do more functional fitness and lighter weights than Cathe. I prefer Cathe for serious weight work, but it's always good to mix in the other stuff too! I think Tracey EXCELS at core/ab work.

I don't know what I'll do tomorrow, but I will say that I'm not nearly as critical as some on the Forum and the only thing I really don't like is the music, especially on the weight workout. I think Kickbox looks fun and step looks like it's complex enough for me. I couldn't even do her last one and this one looks doable, but not boring.

I even thought the Hi/Lo was okay. It sure is different than anything else.

I was watching the DVDs trying to guess which one Jilly Bean is and I've guessed and now I want to know if I'm right. I looked at the one that worked out with Cathe-like intensity!! I think I'm right, but can someone please tell me which one she is and in which workouts she's in???

The kickboxing is a great workout. It's tough. For the first few combos, I used my bag - they were great for bag work. I have no problem with her cueing or her form.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.