Totally cool afternoon

dss62467

Cathlete
I just got to watch my BF's lasik eye surgery. It was AWESOME! He won't let me tell him about though. Booooo. Big baby.

If you don't mind saying

Hi Dss,

Please ignore if too intrusive but how much does that procedure cost in the States and how long of a recovery time does a person usually need afterwards?

Thanks.

Shelby

I think it cost him about $1600 an eye, but he had a pretty bad astigmatism. It should take up to about 3 weeks until he's healed, but his vision is improving by the hour. Pretty annoying actually, since now he can see what's on my computer screen from the other end of the sofa and is complaining about Cathe's punch form in the picture at the top of the screen. Apparently, her form is not proper martial arts form (he's a TKD 3rd degree black belt and instructor). He doesn't seem to care that the weights on top of her knuckles are giving the illusion her wrist is bent down. Good thing he's cute without his glasses, cuz I might just dump him for being annoying. :D

I had Lasik done last April and the very next day I watched someone's on YouTube. There would have been no way I could have watched before the surgery thats for sure.:D

Grosserooni!

It wasn't a bit gross...very fascinating. What was gross was the botched lasik surgery video we watched on YouTube last night. I wanted to show him what they did when he had his and we found one that didn't go well. That surgeon had actually cut the cornea himself with a hand-held tool and didn't do a good job. He ended up tearing the cornea in several spots. I couldn't even finish watching it. The place where my BF had his done used a machine do to the cut and it was perfect.

He had his follow-up exam today and his vision is now 20/15. Before the surgery, his eyes were worse than mine, so I know how bad he was. I don't know exactly what my vision is....but it's bad.

It takes a while to heal...usually longer than the typical timeframe given. The eyes are tired and dry, and I found myself napping in the middle of the day, which is completely out of character for me. I learned to respect both the healing process and the effort it takes for our eyes to focus as we go about our daily activities. I found it, at first, exhausting.

Then there's the whole goggle-thing. I hated that.

I'm so jealous! I want Lasik! I'm 20/2000+ and can't even see my alarm clock without my contacts in! LOL

But I won't watch it.......just in case I ever get the $$$ and the guts to actually DO IT!

Gayle

Gayle, you'd love it, and it's worth the healing time and the stupid goggles one initially wears while sleeping. If and when the time comes, I'll be happy to cheerlead you through it. :D

Thanks for that...much appreciated. Yeah, one of these days when $$ is not so much of an issue for me, I may work up the guts to go for it and say ciao to my specs/contacts. Speaking of improved eyes, can't help but think of Red Riding Hood and the Wolf: all the better to see you, my dear ;)

Best,
Shelby

I think it cost him about $1600 an eye, but he had a pretty bad astigmatism. It should take up to about 3 weeks until he's healed, but his vision is improving by the hour. Pretty annoying actually, since now he can see what's on my computer screen from the other end of the sofa and is complaining about Cathe's punch form in the picture at the top of the screen. Apparently, her form is not proper martial arts form (he's a TKD 3rd degree black belt and instructor). He doesn't seem to care that the weights on top of her knuckles are giving the illusion her wrist is bent down. Good thing he's cute without his glasses, cuz I might just dump him for being annoying. :D

Lasik

Hi,
I had Lasik done about 4 years ago and love it! I play a lot of team sports and it's wonderful not to have to wear glasses or contacts anymore.

(I never wore goggles; though, for sleeping or anything; never heard of doing that.)

Patti

My doc had her patients wear goggles at night to prevent rubbing the eye and injuring the cornea. I had to wear them for about 2 to 3 weeks, I believe.

My doc had her patients wear goggles at night to prevent rubbing the eye and injuring the cornea. I had to wear them for about 2 to 3 weeks, I believe.

He has to wear his glasses they gave him to bed. They're not goggles...more like the ones people wear after cataract surgery.

I don't think that watching it done well would scare me from doing it, nor him saying how uncomfortable it was. The botched one I watched online would make me nervous, even though I know the surgical center here does it differently than the hack online. The big thing keeping me from doing it is that I don't mind my contact lenses. I'd rather use the money towards a baby grand piano.

My eyesight is horrible too...not sure what it measures, but I can't see my alarm clock either.

For about 2 weeks afterward I had to wear clear eye shields that I had to tape onto my eyes/face. This was so you don't rub your eyes in the middle of the night or 1st thing in the a.m. which I bet most people do.

Anyhow, it wasn't that bad except for when I had to remove them it was like getting a mini facial wax. All the peach fuzz around your eyes that you probably didn't realise you had. OUCH. I learned how to put them on with minimal tape real quick:p

I did find that my eyes were always dry and couldn't seem to administer enough eye drops. It's been 9 months and they are still dry. I'm hoping that once winter is over it'll improve. My 1 yr check-up is coming up in April so that'll be my 1st question if the dryness hasn't improved.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.