Total Caloric Intake

HollyG

Hello everyone! I could use some advice and would appreciate any opinions. The other day I went to the doctor for a TB test (required for teaching). Anyway, the doctor decided to talk to me about preventive medicine. This doctor just opened her practice and I think she was trying to be very thorough. So this doctor starts talking to me about annual pap smears, breast exams, eating fruits and vegetables, etc. Then she said that I should limit my total caloric intake to no more than 1200 calories. I was a little surprised by this because from all of the reading I have done I have never read that a total caloric intake should be so low, especially for someone who is just trying to maintain their weight and not necessarily lose. I questioned the doctor, explaining that I thought that the amount of exercise a person did would be a factor in deciding caloric intake. The doctor still insisted that 1200 calories is about right, maybe as high as 1500 with exercise.

So now I am confused as to what my total caloric intake should be. This doctor never bothered to find out my exercise routine, which I think would help decide what my total caloric intake should be. Right now, I do MIC on mon., wed., and fri. mornings and MIS on mon., wed., and fri. evenings. On the other days, I run about 4-6 miles. In the warmer months, I usually do more running and train for marathons. I am 5'2 and currently 115 pounds. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what my total caloric intake should be??? I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks!!!

Holly

Don't Change Anything- yet.

Holly-
If you are maintaining your weight with your current routine, then I wouldn't change a thing. If you are getting results and things are working for you, trust yourself. If you are concerned, then keep a food diary, and decide from there. I think 1200 is really low for a blanket statement- especially coming out of nowhere. Doctors really don't recieve all that much nutritional information during their classes as a rule. She may be an exception, but it doesn't sound like it. If you really are worried, then find a nutritionist, s(he) will help you go over your food diary and make changes that work for you. But really, it sounds like you were happy before, so you probbably don't need to do anything. BLinda

caloric intake

Hi Holly,
I agree with BLinda, 1200 calories a day sound very low to me for someone at your fitness level.
I'm 5' and weigh 95 pounds. I do 3 days of cardio and 3 days of strength a week and I eat between 2000 and 3000 calories a day and sometimes I even lose weight on that. If you weren't concerned before and the doctor just brought this up for no reason, I would say leave it alone. BLinda's advice is excellent, find help from a nutritionist and find out exactly how much you are eating. Then at least you'll have an idea yourself what it takes to maintain your weight.
Laura

Calories

I agree that a RD would be a better source for nutritional advice. The calorie level recommended by your doctor seems very low. RD's are wary of any diet (eating plan) that drops much below 1,400 calories per day because it's likely to screw up your metabolism & not provide enough nutrients.

In my nutrition classes, we estimated female caloric needs as follows:

For involuntary activities (bmr)
10 cal x weight in pounds (assuming appropriate weight)

For voluntary/physical activities
multiply bmr x 50% to 70% if moderately active

The sum should put you in the ballpark. As another benchmark from an active person, I generally burn about 2,200 calories/day. That amount nearly doubles on long training days (cycling).

My nutrition professors were quite critical of most medical doctors nutrition knowledge. Note many of the fad diets are promoted by MD's.

1200 calories per day?

IMO, 1200 calories per day is way too low for an active individual. I would think 2000 to 2100 for maintenance would be better.

There is NO WAY I could work out as I do on only 1200 calories per day. Your body needs fuel for growth and maintenance, then when you add physical activity on to that......

I think I'd find another doctor. Most doctors receive abysmal, if any, nutritional training. I know this because I worked in a medical university for 8 years and was keenly aware of the deficits in their studies.

Hi, Holly

Just for another comparison -- we're close to the same size (I'm 5'3" and about 116) and its sounds like you work out harder than I do.(Especially with the marathons!) I would estimate I eat about 2200 calories a day, and I lose weight if I go under 2000. 1200 sounds far too low to me, especially for an active person who is not interested in losing weight. I know I wouldn't get through the day eating that little!

Audrey

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks to all who replied! I kind of felt that 1200 was too low, but I wanted to see if others felt the same way. I feel so much better. Guess it's time to visit a new doctor!!!

Holly

She may have read R. Walton's work.

I think I know where your MD is coming from. There is a guy Ray Walton (I think that's his name) that has done studies on longevity. He is one of the people who was sealed in the biosphere.

Anyway he has concluded that being slightly underweight and eating a low level of calories increases longevity. He did his studies with rodents, I believe.

However, he does say that if you are to follow his ideas you must cut your calories very gradually over a period of as long as five years to give your body time to cope. This is not something to be done on a whim.

I don't know what he says about exercise and diet
because I haven't read his studies directly. I have just read about his work. Your MD may have run into this material, but she should have given you more background and explained the reasons for what she told you. She should also know that cutting calories suddenly often leads to eating disorders and that's hardly healthy.

Weight and calories

I'm glad that I stumbled upon this thread. A few weeks ago, during a routine medical procedure w/a substitute and quite young doctor, I was informed that my weight (114) was a "good ten pounds too heavy" for my height (5'2). Well, having been running 20- 30 miles a week and doing mega-Cathe videos for years, I had become reasonably pleased with my size 3, occasionally 5/6 body. My body fat has always been quite low, and I made it a point not to fret over the number on the scale---being mindful of the "muscle is heavier than fat" theory. I'm beginning to get my sanity back after feeling like a blimp for the last two weeks. What's going on with the medical profession? No wonder anorexia etc. is out of control. Is there some height/weight table out there that would classify me as overweight?

What is wrong with doctors???

You too, huh, Ness? I cannot believe the same thing happened to you. I was pretty happy with my current weight, but then felt like a total chubbo when the doctor said I should be only eating 1200 calories a day and I knew I was eating more than that. I don't know what is with doctors or other people trying to make women into sticks. It is absolutely sickening. Keep up the good work, Ness, and keep your current weight! I think it's better to be active and average weight than to be an underweight couch potato.

Ditto Holly--You're fine Ness!

Ness, your weight sounds great and Holly, 1200 calories is LOW!!! (Not to mention if you are exercising also!!)Keep up the good work. Good Health is what it's all about!
happy.gif

Name is Walford, not Walton

Sorry, got the name wrong. The guy's name is Ray
Walford, not Walton and he does have a website
www.walford.com if you want to check out his research.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.