Total Body Barbell

Kellyro77

Cathlete
Just finished this as my Christmas Day workout. First, I just want to say I really appreciated Cathe's comment at the close of the workout that we had a choice today and we chose to do something good for ourselves by doing a tough workout! I appreciate being reminded that I made a good choice for myself. I could most definitely have chosen to "take it easy" today since it's a holiday!

Great workout. I did it in place of STS 2.0 Super Sets that I originally had scheduled today.

I do not have a barbell, so used my SelectTech weights with this. Even though the rests between exercises were pretty brief, I'll say I truly appreciated the time I had to switch to new weight selections with my SelectTechs while Cathe and crew swapped plates on their barbells. It was only rushed (or I had to hit pause) on some of those occasions where she swapped over to just plates.

All of the exercises were easy enough to substitute with dumbbells. Even the pec squeezes - I have little 3# dumbbells and their handle is narrow enough to mimic the width of the plate Cathe was using. I found myself feeling grateful to have dumbbells when she was doing those lat raises with the plates - I imagine that wider grip with the plates puts a new, unique test to your grip and muscles.

I didn't do the bonus workout - I forgot I needed to utilize the Workout Blender for premixes that include bonuses. I'll definitely give the bonus a go in the future.

I'm pretty proud that I was able to match Cathe's weight selections through at least the first half of the workout. I started running out of gas when we got to pullovers so had to start reducing my selections. But I'd say being able to match Cathe during the first portion is a testament to the improvements I made over the summer doing STS 2.0.

Thanks for the great workout. I can see this being a nice complimentary endurance workout to throw in the middle of STS 2.0 when you want a change of pace - both literally and figuratively.

Thanks for great review!

Happy Holidays Kellyro77!

We did Gloved Up and Sweaty premix with the floor bonus for a Xmas workout this morning! With a longish stretch - felt great!

I really liked gloved up and sweaty! I did start to lose steam towards the end with all the jump and smash it.

My hair ties fell out during the burpees because YES, I did BAM it!!
Hehehe :p

Thanks for the review on Total body!!... Planning for tomorrow.:cool:

I really enjoyed Total Body. I usually don't match Cathe's weights but my heart rate still got elevated. I like the cardio factor when I'm lifting weights. It's exercise multi-tasking. The core workout was 4 exercises done twice, short and sweet and kind of tough, but easily modifiable, like push-ups on my knees for me.

What workout do you think it is the most similar to?
Gosh, I'm not sure! I guess any one of her total body workouts that are more high-rep / endurance based. Not PHA, though, since she keeps the focus primarily on lower and then upper, although she has some compound moves thrown in.

That core section at the end was giving me Super Cuts vibes where she has you do seven rounds of switching between pushups and sit-ups! I just did that workout back on Saturday! But thankfully the pace in Total Body wasn't so demanding and brutal! I did appreciate those extra long plank holds, though!

I made up a blended workout of about 40 minutes using mostly the weight plate exercises. I added in the squat/crossover from the bonus and also did the bicep curls and upright rows using an unweighted barbell (mine is approx. 6kg unweighted). I also did the pull overs and lying extensions but used dumbbells. I find my wrists keep bending if I use a barbell for these exercises.

Just finished this as my Christmas Day workout. First, I just want to say I really appreciated Cathe's comment at the close of the workout that we had a choice today and we chose to do something good for ourselves by doing a tough workout! I appreciate being reminded that I made a good choice for myself. I could most definitely have chosen to "take it easy" today since it's a holiday!

Great workout. I did it in place of STS 2.0 Super Sets that I originally had scheduled today.

I do not have a barbell, so used my SelectTech weights with this. Even though the rests between exercises were pretty brief, I'll say I truly appreciated the time I had to switch to new weight selections with my SelectTechs while Cathe and crew swapped plates on their barbells. It was only rushed (or I had to hit pause) on some of those occasions where she swapped over to just plates.

All of the exercises were easy enough to substitute with dumbbells. Even the pec squeezes - I have little 3# dumbbells and their handle is narrow enough to mimic the width of the plate Cathe was using. I found myself feeling grateful to have dumbbells when she was doing those lat raises with the plates - I imagine that wider grip with the plates puts a new, unique test to your grip and muscles.

I didn't do the bonus workout - I forgot I needed to utilize the Workout Blender for premixes that include bonuses. I'll definitely give the bonus a go in the future.

I'm pretty proud that I was able to match Cathe's weight selections through at least the first half of the workout. I started running out of gas when we got to pullovers so had to start reducing my selections. But I'd say being able to match Cathe during the first portion is a testament to the improvements I made over the summer doing STS 2.0.

Thanks for the great workout. I can see this being a nice complimentary endurance workout to throw in the middle of STS 2.0 when you want a change of pace - both literally and figuratively.
Glad you liked it ❤️

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.