torn muscle on my BUTT!!!! Anyone heard of this?

Cathe or anyone,

On one side of my lower hip/butt area (not on the my buttcheek but a couple inches above that, about where my spine ends and just about halfway between where my spine ends and the outside of my hip), I recently noticed a round indentation in my skin about the size of a quarter. I don't EVER remember it hurting but it concerned me so I went to my doc and he said I tore a muscle. So now there is just this quarter sized hole there that indents about 1/2 inch which he says will never go away. He says it probably won't get any worse and there is nothing to worry about.

Has anyone else ever heard of something this weird and do you know of anyway to make this go away?

It is really bothersome to me that this will never go away but I guess I'll have to deal with it, just like I do all my other imperfections!!

Let me know what you think,
Kristie Schultz in Northern California
PS. Love the new workouts.

Is it your paraformis (spelling) muscle? I pulled mine, not a tear, and I just rested for a few weeks, and it healed. Now I just watch and if it starts to hurt, I take it easy. Hope this helps.

Hey, not Cathe, but I did not tear, but strained a muscle in that exact same place. I have an indention in that same place from my hip surgery a few months back, and am trying to build that muscle on the side of the glutes back. I am finding that the strain is getting better and I am gaining more flexibility everyday, so maybe this will be the case for you?:)

Hello.

Not Cathe either, but it sounds like it might be too high to be the piriformis muscle. Maybe the quadratus lumborum muscle?? Of course, I do not know any of the specifics of your injury. Did your doctor tell you the name of the muscle? That would be helpful. There are a lot of exercises you can do to strengthen your spine and core muscles. Of course, Cathe has many of them in her DVDs. I think the best thing to do is to find out which muscle is torn, and then see someone (a physical therapist, etc) to help you strengthen that part of your back/glute area safely. I wish you the best!!

Hi Kristie! I'm sorry to hear of your injury. While I don't know the extent of what you did, I'm not sure that I believe that this dent will never go away(of course this is just my non-medical professional opinion). I would suggest a second opinion from another doctor, followed up with a physical therapy sheet to rehab the torn muscle. Good Luck!

Hi Kristie,

A few years ago I slipped down the basement stairs and bruised one side of my behind quite well. This bruise was sore, but I didn't go to the doctor because there wasn't anything unusual about it. When it healed, there was an indentation in the cheek that was bruised. After I noticed the indentation, I did go to a few doctors (including plastic surgeons) and they said there were a few options including fat injections to fill in the area or losing/gaining weight would do this naturally.

I still have my indentation and had forgotten about it until I saw your post. I've had this for about 10 years now and am not sure the losing weight option will work for me because I'd have to lose a lot from that area to make an impact and I'm not sure that is possible - as much as I try!:)

Not exactly the same situation, but weird in its own way. I know what you mean about having to deal with the imperfections!

Hope this makes you feel a little better.

Take Care.

thanks for all of your responses.

I know exactly when this happened, but I didnt put it together for some reason.

About 5 months ago I was doing wheel and trying to kick over. See I was trying to do what my 7 year old learned in gymnastics because she said, MOmmy, try it?

Anyhow, as stupid as I am, I tried it and Felt a little discomfort in my lower back but nothing serious, AT THE TIME. About 10 days later my back was so swollen I could barely walk. For the next 6 weeks I was in pain with my back, the doc said I strained a muscle.

Now I realize that this indentation must have been the result of that injury. I will probably get a second opinion because I don't wnt to have a dent in my butt forever, that would truly be a drag YA KNOW!

Thanks for your support.

Cathe or anyone,

On one side of my lower hip/butt area (not on the my buttcheek but a couple inches above that, about where my spine ends and just about halfway between where my spine ends and the outside of my hip), I recently noticed a round indentation in my skin about the size of a quarter. I don't EVER remember it hurting but it concerned me so I went to my doc and he said I tore a muscle. So now there is just this quarter sized hole there that indents about 1/2 inch which he says will never go away. He says it probably won't get any worse and there is nothing to worry about.

Has anyone else ever heard of something this weird and do you know of anyway to make this go away?

It is really bothersome to me that this will never go away but I guess I'll have to deal with it, just like I do all my other imperfections!!

Let me know what you think,
Kristie Schultz in Northern California
PS. Love the new workouts.

Kristie, I came across your post after searching for this very specific condition I am experiencing, and it sounds like this is exactly what happened to me.

Since many years have passed since you posted, I have to ask, do you still have the indentation? I’m wondering what I can do to improve the look of this.
I am extremely fit but I did a round house kick without warming up, felt a twinge, and the next morning I had an indentation exactly where you described, just on one side.

Any response would be so appreciated! Hope you are 100% back to normal and doing well!

Kristie, I came across your post after searching for this very specific condition I am experiencing, and it sounds like this is exactly what happened to me.

Since many years have passed since you posted, I have to ask, do you still have the indentation? I’m wondering what I can do to improve the look of this.
I am extremely fit but I did a round house kick without warming up, felt a twinge, and the next morning I had an indentation exactly where you described, just on one side.

Any response would be so appreciated! Hope you are 100% back to normal and doing well!
Did your dent go away? I also had this happen I’m assuming from a fall ...

I have an indentation on the front of my thigh and always wondered where it came from. I never went to see a doctor so I can't say it is the same thing but very interesting that someone else has in a different place.

I took quite a fall on my back the dent showed up a few months later not right away. I feel so hard I was shocked I was only sore. I need to find out what muscle it actually is. But it caves in and you can see the quarter size dent/hole. Never felt like I had a tear in muscle. I did also read it can occur from a spine injury.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.