Top 5 Hated Exercise Moves!

mini-natty

Cathlete
A tribute to my top 5 which I loathe (but torture myself doing them anyway)

5. Plie Jacks (oh my, the horror)
4. Mountain Climbers (I don't plan on climbing mountains anytime soon)
3. Plank Jacks (oh hell, all plank exercises!)
2. Tuck Jumps (my pants fall off everytime!)

And #1.............drum roll please...............

1. Burpees!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(who ever invented this exercise should be either praised or punched)

I actually love most of those exercises (yep I'm crazy!), however, I agree about tuck jumps. They are evil! Also, I have a really tough time with just regular old jumping jacks ever since I had my kids:eek:. Ahem, the pelvic floor isn't what it used to be! I use my rebounder to do jumping jacks and tuck jumps which helps a little. I may be totally crazy but I love that terminator burpee move she does in the original bootcamp where she does a burpee, scissors the legs than jumps up. Awesome:eek:!

I don't have a top 5 list, but I do have one I absolutely hate....BURPEES!
I hate those stupid things!!! I know they serve a purpose so I do them like I'm swallowing bitter medicine.:eek:

Mini-natty,
Great Thread. Yes, burpees are the worst but I learned to do them b/c Cathe and Crew can. To me, a challenge I must overcome. Burpees used to be called "suicides" from what I recall. I've had problems with mountain climbers too. Airborne jacks and plie jacks aren't too bad. I used to detest fast foot shuffle until I got it.

JT

Burpees, straddle taps, tuck jumps, and those blasted Genie hops could all fall off the world and I'd be ok with it. But, yes, we do them anyway.....

Any jumping stuff (like tuck jumps!). I like the burbees/mountain climbers with the disks, but not without. And lunges that are performed too fast - they hurt my knees.

JT - 'suicides' are from old-school basketball drills - there are cones set up across the length of the court (top of each key and midcourt), then you run from one baseline, to the top of the key, touch the ground, back to the baseline; then to mid-court, touch, back; then to next key, then ultimately the full length of the court. That's one! Do for a proscribed number of times. Cathe actually has the "home version" in the 4-day split bootcamp workout. You just need a lot of space for them.

Mini,

Love your threads.

I would like to add any traveling plank/pushup to the hated list because I don't have the room or the joints for them.

Denny R

Last edited:
A tribute to my top 5 which I loathe (but torture myself doing them anyway)

2. Tuck Jumps (my pants fall off everytime!)

And #1.............drum roll please...............

1. Burpees!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I whole-heartedly agree with #5!!!!:eek:

The rest though, I have learned to love! :) Sorry! :p

I'm not sure I can think of 5 - but here are two that immediately came to mind:

1. The sashay move in Maximum Intensity Cardio. I just did this workout the other day, and remembered how much I dislike this move. Its not that its difficult, its just at a really weird angle to the step, it doesn't flow well and the movement with the arms feels disjointed as well.

2. Those suicidal mountain climbers in the Intensity series Boot Camp - you know where you do a burpee into mountain climbers then get up and jump? They kill me every time. That being said, when I manage to do all of them, I feel elated!

2. Tuck Jumps (my pants fall off everytime!
1. Burpees!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think my list is the same as yours, but in the exact opposite order. I dislike burpees a LOT, but they're (usually) over so fast I can handle them (plus, I modify). But, plie jacks... good grief. I can only do about 8 before my feet give out, which probably means I'm not doing them quite right :confused:

1) Tuck jumps (I don't do them 'as-is')
2) ricochets (ditto)
3) double ricochets (hate them even more, and modify them)
4) excessive burpees (some are okay, but I prefer mountain climbers)

And that's why you go the Insanity t-shirt ;)

Shaun T looks like he could break anyone down :eek: He scares me :eek:

LOL, yeah, between Insanity and Body Rock one has no choice but to love all of those moves! ;)

Conquering Insanity was such an accomplishment for me! I remember doing Plyometric Cardio Circuit for the first time. Oh my word!!! I thought I'd die! And the DOMS I got from it the next day!? I could hardly move!!!!:eek::eek::eek: It was awesome! :D

LOL, yeah, between Insanity and Body Rock one has no choice but to love all of those moves! ;)

Conquering Insanity was such an accomplishment for me! I remember doing Plyometric Cardio Circuit for the first time. Oh my word!!! I thought I'd die! And the DOMS I got from it the next day!? I could hardly move!!!!:eek::eek::eek: It was awesome! :D

Maybe when I am not sleep deprived anymore (3 years of baby/toddler sleepless nights is taking a toll) I might find the courage (and energy) to tackle Insanity. I will just stick to Cathe Hiit's which totally kicks my butt. But I admire people like you who are not scared to take on the challenge. I can imagine the DOMS!! You probably could not even sit on the toilet.............it's a great thing.

Maybe when I am not sleep deprived anymore (3 years of baby/toddler sleepless nights is taking a toll) I might find the courage (and energy) to tackle Insanity. I will just stick to Cathe Hiit's which totally kicks my butt. But I admire people like you who are not scared to take on the challenge. I can imagine the DOMS!! You probably could not even sit on the toilet.............it's a great thing.

Hey I think Cathe's HiiT, IMAX 3 and CCC are all KILLER as well! No doubt about that! So don't sell yourself short!!!It's just that Insanity is very different in style from Cathe so it's a whole new challenge and vice versa for an Insanity graduate who tries Cathe for the first time! The DOMS from PCC was actually all upper body-mostly in my back/core! It hurt to breathe!:eek:

Last edited:
NY25, thanks for noticing. Suicides aren't bad, I think they are in Drill Max too. It was another term for Burpees or squat thrusts.

Jumps and legs I can do. It's the tricep push-ups/dive bomber/staggered-varieties that kill me. I feel like such a wimp going to my knees soon after the set begins. I also don't care much for concentration curls-I used 10's today while Cathe and the crew were using 15's in the Upper Body Triset program. I think this is why PUB is my favorite upper body tape-no pushups or concentration curls!

Beth

I strongly dislike:

1) "Air Squats" done at lightning fast speed (Ouch! My poor knees!)
2) Leg/Outer Thigh Raises while propped up on the stability ball.
3) Squat Thrust Push-ups
4) Genie Hops (I sub in "rope skipping" every time)
5) Elmo Pushups on stability ball

I'm sure I could think of a few more, but these 5 came to mind today- hehe :D

My top 5 most hated:

5. Tuck jumps
4. Tuck jumps
3. Tuck jumps
2. Tuck jumps
1. Tuck jumps

They wind me so fast...like no other move. I just hate them! But I do them anyway, sigh.

Oh, I love those burpee, mountain climber, jump combo things from Bootcamp, especially because it's not a tuck jump. :)

jusr did these today & I really hate them but it's because of a shoulder impingement: triceps kickbacks

i guess it is holding my shoulder in that position while doing the kickback. feels so uncomfortable. also fast, high rep pushups, for the same reason

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.