Too thin?

Hi Wendy!

By getting back in shape so soon after having your daughter, you robbed these women of an excuse to be unfit or overweight. You are a reflection of what many women should strive to be and this creates guilt on their part for not accomplishing this.

My bet is that their husbands commented on how fit you were looking and jealousy resulted.

Don't allow them the power to distract you from your goals. Keep up the good work! :)

It's unbelievable how ignornat and obnoxious people can be. Perhaps you shuold tell them that your husband thinks they are seriously tacky! Next time you're at a party avoid these two like stale fruitcake.

Manners have sure gone out the window these days. Even if it was said by the husbands, which I really doubt, what person would relay that to someone else? I would never even consider saying that to a friend or a co-worker or acquaintance. The only thing I would ever dream of saying the day after a party is how fabulous someone looked to compliment them. I believe negative comments like that are the problem of the person saying them; they obviously have issues.
Please don't allow this to bother you any longer.

Wendy,

Honestly, you sound GREAT to me, and you should be VERY proud of yourself. You are an inch taller than I am, and I weigh slighly less - we probably look very similar. And I'm definitely not anywhere near "too thin." Fit? Yes. Too thin? No way. You go girl!

Want to hear my generally pessimistic opinion? These were the *wives* telling you this, right? Any chance that you are looking better than they are? And to top it off, their children are older than yours? I bet that they set their husbands up "she *just* had that baby, but I think she's lost too much weight - she must be STARVING herself!" - and they readily agreed so that they wouldn't be sleeping in the garage for the next month. :) Meanwhile, they were thinking that you look GREAT!

Keep up the good work, and do NOT let jealous idiots get you down.

m.

Wow, not just one husband said it, but TWO!!! TWO of them said it! Geez oh Pete, these women are as transparent as it gets!

#1 Their husbands never said a single word about your build.
#2 If they did, a decent woman would not report back to you about it.
#3 Since these women are proving they are, in fact, indecent...it's a safe bet that the boys never said a thing.

Losing weight stirs up nasty emotions in other women...ESPECIALLY losing baby weight! It takes away their excuses!! They can no longer use it as their crutch when you are in the same room!

Another possibility...no one even know what "fit and fabulous" looks like anymore! With the majority of the population fat and obese, we don't see fit very often!

Finally, don't ask your nearest and dearest to "give you the truth". It doesn't matter what anyone thinks...except for you! Your opinion is the only one that matters! If you are eating right and working out, taking care of yourself...the hell with what anyone else thinks!

You said you were starting to really like how you were looking, celebrate it! Go out and buy a cute outfit or "sleep wear" to show it off! I bet you look smokin' hot!!

Hi Wendy!!

I want to encourage you to do what makes YOU feel good about yourself!! Disregard what others say about you because you have worked very hard to get back down to your pre-pregnancy weight! Girl, if you are happy with yourself, keep doing what you are doing!!

I think that it is wonderful that you have reached your goal!!

Lisa:)

>I really don't think jealousy motivates such comments.

I agree. And there always seems to be someone who brings up 'jealousy' in threads like these, and I often think that it is not the motivation at all (maybe more like wishful thinking?).

IMO, 5'10 and 144 COULD be 'too thin,' especially if you have any muscle. A pretty sure sign of unhealthy thinness would be not having a period. Protruding bones (clavicle and/or hip bones) and sunken in cheeks make for a 'too thin' look.

As for how you can tell if you ARE too thin: Many people can't see for themselves when they truly are 'too thin' or 'too fat.'Ask someone whose opinion you trust (DH?). Also, take a picture. Many people realize they are overweight when they see themselves in a photo. Could also work for someone who is underweight.

Wendy -

Personally I would have simply responded, "Well, I guess it's a good thing that I'm not married to your husband, isn't it? My husband thinks I look fabulous."

I don't know these women so I can't say if it's jealousy or that their DH's simply like heavier women. Either way, it's no different than walking up to someone who gained weight and telling them, "Oh, wow, you've gained weight, you don't look healthy." It's rude. My mom was 5'10 and weighed what you do when she married my father. And my family is big boned. She was definitely not "too thin".

I'm 5'10 and at my slimmest weighed 30 pounds more than you and still had people telling me not to lose too much weight. I wasn't THAT thin at all! So, my opinion is that people are just weird, and it's good that we like different kinds of builds, heights, etc. And I'm very thankful that my DH thinks I'm gorgeous when I'm heavy or when I'm thinner.

I honestly don't know how to thank you all for your support.

First, my husband thinks I look good and doesn't think I look too thin. I even talked to my parents today and they don't think so either. I wear a size 6-8 and am fairly muscular. My body fat is 13.6% and I still have a menstrual cycle. I eat healthy 90% of the time and I feel better now than I have in years.

These are the same women who kept telling me not to bother working out when pregnant because I won't lose the weight anyway because they didn't and their kids are ages 15-22!

In fact, it's funny because 2 women at work now want to come over to my house to workout with me - so I guess that's a compliment.

Once again, Thank you so much. :)

I totally agree that our ability to see ourselves as we are is very difficult. For years I taught aerobics and I always thought of myself as looking chunky...Well....Now I actually am fat...I am currently at 170 and I've lost 12lbs in the last year. It's only when I see pictures of myself, that I really see what I look like. I had stopped teaching due to injury and the whole time I was gaining, I did not FEEL like I was fat. I didn't THINK that I was taking up more space. I saw the scale, had to buy new clothes, but I DID NOT see it.

It's really quite scary

Now...I saw original poster's picture at the baptism of her baby, and I thought she looked great. So if that's a recent picture, then I would say that as long as she is doing all the right things, then she should be happy with her appearance.

I know that this is very "old school" and doesn't really count in things such as muscle mass and body type..but the old rule of thumb is that you get 100lbs for the first 5 feet and 5lbs for every inch after. So...if she's 5'10", then she could be at 150 and be comfortable, but even with that chart it gives almost a 20lb window.....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.