too many apples and hummus

workout junkie

Cathlete
I bought too many apples at Costco and can't eat them all before they go bad. Anyone know any good healthy recipes? Also, anyone know if I can freeze apple slices?

I also bought a big tub of hummus. Once you open the container, how long is it good for? And, can you freeze hummus?

Thanks,
Melissa

I don't know for sure, but I don't think you can freeze either apples or hummus. I would definetely NOT freeze the hummus (of course, I don't worry about mine going bad because I can go through 10 pounds of the stuff like lightning....:))

You could do a search on the internet for healthy apple recipes. I'm sorry I don't have more advice.

Allison

That's why I don't buy the big tub of hummus at Costco anymore... I always end up throwing lots out. As far as the apples, why don't you make a pie with them?? Or if you don't want the high-fat content of the pie shell, you could always do an apple crisp, and use some oatmeal for a topping.

You could also make apple-cinnamon bread. The apple crisp idea with oatmeal sounds great! I've got to try that now!

p.s. Feel free to bake a few pies and send 'em on over to me ;)....
I'll also take that hummus off your hands if need be... :)

Allison

Apples can stay fresh for a long long time in the crisper. Just make sure you look for any apples that seem to be going and throw them out right away. One rotting apple will make the others go too (you know the saying "one bad apple spoils the bunch").

Maybe you can freeze them, although it seems like they'll be weird when they thaw out. I think you could freeze the hummus no prob.

Amy

Hey, I bought apples and hummus at costco just last week! I was wondering the same thing, but now both are almost gone. :)

I make applesauce and freeze it when my apples are starting to get soft. It's extremely easy ... just clean, quarter and heat with a little water. When softened, put them through a food mill. You can sweeten and spice w/cinnamon to taste, or leave plain. And the fresh, warm sauce is delicious!

You could also prep the apple mixture for pies and freeze that. The apples have a different texture when you bake the pie, but it still tastes good.

Deb

I wouldn't freeze hummus or apples.

As others have mentioned, you can cook up the apples and freeze that mixture.

Or get on the good side of your neighbors and bake some apple pies or crisp to share!

Apples do last quite a while, and the harder apples seem to last longest.

You can also pick up some stay-fresh produce bags (green, with some kind of ethylene-absorbing clay in the material) that will help extend the life of produce. Do NOT leave the apples in the plastic bag they came in (if they came in one), as it will trap the ethylene gas and make them go bad soooner.

I personally would eat 2 apples a day, and make crisp out of the ones that I won't be able to eat as-is.

A lil' bit off topic here...But, have you heard about Grapples? They are apples injected with concord grape flavoring? They smell JUST like grapes! My daughter's neighbor gave her a four-pack from the grocery store. I was supposed to take one with me when we headed home to try them and forgot it! :-( Back to the subject...:7 Along with Deb's idea for applesause...I have made applesauce when I needed to use them up also but just cook til they are chunky applesauce consistancy. Just a FYI if you don't have a food mill to put them thru. We actually like them better with chunks of apples!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Apple Things!
Yay, Im getting ready to go out and get some apples and pumpkins today to make some stuff tonight. Apple things can certainly be frozen...I even make lots of extra pumpkin pie mix to freeze so I can have p'kin pie all year 'round.
Since Im bored (still waiting for my Cathe DVD's arriving any time now) Ill give you some apple things!
==================================================================
Apple Sauce Loaf
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. applesauce
1/2 c. nuts

Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Sift together dry ingredients and gradually add to mixture. Stir until well mixed and add applesauce and nuts. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Mix together 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 1 tbsp. water and pour on cake while still warm.
==================================================================
Apple Bread

1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. sour milk or orange juice
1 c. chopped cooking apples (no need to peel)
1/3 c. chopped walnuts

In mixer, cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, soda and salt. Add to mixture and alternate with liquid. Add apples and walnuts. Turn into greased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour at 350.
===================================================================
Apple Muffins

2 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup chopped dried apple*
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil -- remember that equal amounts applesauce can usually be substituted for oil or butter-- I have found this works great!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 muffin tins. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and add the egg, milk and oil. Stir the ingredients until they are just blended. Do not overmix. Spoon the batter into greased muffin pans, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.

* Dried apples can usually be found in airtight pouches near the raisins in the supermarket.
====================================================================
Apple Spread

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c. mayonnaise
dash of sugar
1 c. chopped apple with peel
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Mix together the cream cheese and cheddar cheese until well blended. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve with crackers or fresh vegetables.
Mmmm...
BeWitching Apple Pancakes

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tbs. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1tsp. salt
2 well beaten egg yolks
2 cups milk
2 tbs. butter/margarine, melted
1 cup finely chopped apple, peeled and cored
2 stiffly beaten egg whites.

In a large non-metal bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, combine the milk and egg yolks. Pour mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well. Stir in the butter/margarine and apple. Fold in the egg whites. Let the batter set up for a few minutes. Cook on a hot griddle or in a large frying pan, using 1/3 cup of batter per pancake. Use a spatula or spoon to spread batter evenly. Remove from heat, dot with butter, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and roll up into log. Top with slightly heated applesauce and a dash of cinnamon.
CARAMEL APPLE CREAM PIE

1 9" Pastry shell
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup Packed brown sugar
4 med. Tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1-1/2 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice-divided
1 to 2 tbsp. All-purpose flour
1/2 cup Caramel ice cream topping
1/2 cup Chopped pecans
1 pkg.(8oz.) Cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 tbsp. Lemon juice
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
Whipped topping

Bake pastry shell but do not prick. Cool. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar. Stir in apples and 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice. Simmer for 12-15 min., stirring frequently or until tender.
Stir in flour. Cook and stir for 1 min. Drizzle caramel topping over pastry shell. Sprinkle with pecans. Spoon apple mixture over pecans and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, egg, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Pour over apples.

Bake at 350' for 35-45 min. or until a knife inserted into the cream cheese layer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Chill completely. To serve, top with whipped topping. Sprinkle with remainder of pumpkin pie spice.

Yum! Yum! Yum!

I've been freezing hummus from Whole Foods for up to 2 months at a time for years now with no problem. Love it!

Wow - thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Kathryn - I do have some of those green bags. I just don't use them as often as I should so I forgot about them...

For now, I think I'll put the apples in the fridge in those bags. That should keep them fresh until I decide whether to make applesauce, apple crisp and/or one of pebblesus's "apple things".

As for the hummus, I'll just eat what I can within a few days, then throw it out. As yummy as it is, I don't need a big tub of it. Costco is neat, but I always end up buying too much.

Thanks!

Uh uh. No way. *covers ears* No freezing of hummus is allowed! Any and all hummus that is not used within one week is to be sent to Allison. Yep, that's right. I'm officially putting a time limit on your hummus consumption.

Allison

> I was supposed to
>take one with me when we headed home to try them and forgot
>it! :-(

Don't feel bad: the flavoring is artificial flavoring, making something healthy and natural like an apple unnatural.

(When I first saw these in the store, I thought they might be some kind of apple/grape hybrid--who knows!--then when I saw they had 'grape flavoring' added, I quickly lost interest.)

Besides all the wonderful looking apple recipes listed here, you can also make some apple pies and freeze them for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Just make your favorite apple pie recipe (my favorite is in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook) and freeze the pie in a freezer ziploc bag. Then bake the frozen pie just like you normally would only for about 20 minutes or so longer (or until the crust is golden brown and the apples are tender when you stick a knife in it).

I used to make about 30 pies each fall for a woman who had an apple tree but hated to make pies. She paid me $5 each and then she would take them home and freeze them for use all winter long.

Good idea about the pies. I love homemade apple pies, don't think they'd turn out as good as my grandma's though...she made the best!

The only problem with making pies is I'd be the only one that eats them. It's only DH and I (no family or friends around). :( He'd probably enjoy a piece or two, but then I'd end up finishing the darn thing.

I'm also weird about pies - I rarely eat the crust! I bought a pumpkin pie (also from Costco) and just ate the filling. :9

Thanks for the idea!

Make the pies and give 'em away. That way your apples won't go to waste and you'll save yourself some guilt! ;)

Allison

Another thought: have a Halloween party (or go to one) and make caramel apples!

You might be able to give them out to trick-or-treaters, but in this day and age, probably not, unless they are to kids you know well, and the parents are there with them---wrap them in plastic and put a tag on saying who they are from, and offer them to kids whose parents you know, so they know there's not a razor blade stuck in them or poison injected in them!

Or make the caramel apples and hand deliver them to selected neighbors.(It's always nice to be on your neighbors' good side: you never know when you'll need their help for something!)

(And contrary to popular belief, caramel apples DON'T have to be made withGranny Smith Apples. I personally prefered those made with Red Delicious apples).

>Another thought: have a Halloween party (or go to one) and
>make caramel apples!

OMG, brilliant!!!
I can't believe I didn't think of that. Yummmmm...now I want a caramel apple rrreeeallllyyyy bad.... :)

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.