Toby Massenburg

tlc93

Cathlete
Has anyone done any of his workouts? I first saw him on a Patrick Goudeau wkout. I was perusing Total fitness and came upon Toby. His "Afterburn" wkout looks pretty decent. I'm just wondering what his wkouts are like. ANY info is appreciated. TIA

peg

I first saw Toby in Paul Katami's kettlebell DVD's. I have Afterburn. I think it's a great workout. I like Toby's workouts. He is very personable. He's pleasing to look at as well.

Karen

Forgot to add. I think he has three DVD's. They are all high intensity. Some workouts are around 30 minutes. Others are close to, or over an hour

Karen

Thanks Karen! It's the "Afterburn" wkout I was looking at. I seems kind of reminiscent of Cathe's "High step" wkouts. There was only 1 review that said Hiit style cardio (40 secs work-20 secs rest) X 2, then 2 min weight wk then 1 minute abs. Perhaps I'm looking for an enabler?! Maybe I'm just looking for something different?! I usually don't stray too far when it comes to other instructors.....

I love Toby's workouts. I own them all. They are tough but do the job. Afterburn and Ignite are my favorites of his. I don't think Afterburn is anything like the High Step workouts, btw. Which I love--they are some of my absolute favorite Cathe workouts, but Toby's are very different.

Ok Jen, you have my attention.......Tell me about these workouts PLEASE. I just looked at the video clips. Now I REALLY can't decide. There aren't any reviews. :mad:

Last edited:
I reviewed them all on my blog--this should give you an idea of each workout: Toby Massenburg

Sorry to momentarily derail this thread, but just had to tell you Jen that I had no idea that that was your blog! Too funny! I've gone there before and your reviews are really terrific and detailed. Just thought you'd like to know. :)

Now, back to Toby Massenburg...and I have nothing to add because I don't own any of his workouts, but you all might convince me to get some!

Lisa

thanks! It serves a my own little database of the workouts I own. I have so many I love and enjoy--but I forget about them if I don't do them for a while. Believe it or not I still have tons I still need to add. I have a workout DVD hoarding problem. But the blog really helps me keep track of them!

I'm glad other people find it of use, too.

HOLY CRAP Jen!!! Very nice blog! Boy....when you say you know a wkout......you mean business! I thought I was good having my library on a word document, in a binder with the famous and lovely compendium! You put me to shame lady! I will def be spending some time on your blog. Its incredible!

Now back to Toby....favorites and why? It might be easy to just get them all. But do I really need to, want to or have to spend that money? I was also looking at Billy Blanks Platinum collection. Its 4 wkouts (older & mashed together I think), I DO love kickboxing!

I'm getting a little twitchy and am craving something new to kick butt.

Toby's workouts are a lot like Patrick Goudeau's newer ones. Funny, as he has been in the background of a few of those. I have all of them and find them fantastic! Love cardio and strength and compounds all in a circuit style.

HOLY CRAP Jen!!! Very nice blog! Boy....when you say you know a wkout......you mean business! I thought I was good having my library on a word document, in a binder with the famous and lovely compendium! You put me to shame lady! I will def be spending some time on your blog. Its incredible!

Now back to Toby....favorites and why? It might be easy to just get them all. But do I really need to, want to or have to spend that money? I was also looking at Billy Blanks Platinum collection. Its 4 wkouts (older & mashed together I think), I DO love kickboxing!

Billy Blank workouts are OK if you can stand counting to 8 over and over!!!

thanks! My absolute favorite Toby workout is Ignite. I just love that one. It is a very well done and enjoyable HIIT workout. My second favorite is Afterburn. If I could only have 2 of his workouts, those would be the two I would choose.

This is kind off of subject, but I have considered at some point putting together a MWT rotation and it would feature primarily Toby and Patrick Goudeau workouts because they are the masters of MWT. I'm guessing Toby learned it from Patrick!

Oh I agree....Toby seems very similar to Patrick in personality and style of exercise (from what I could tell from the short clips). I like Patricks wkouts because they are tough and offer a challenge and Toby's appear equally fierce. I have to modify some moves to save my lower back and/or neck, but man do I sweat and burn some calories! That's it..... I'm going to get me some Toby!!!! I really appreciate the input and introduction to your blog! It rocks!!!

If you DO decide to put together a MWT rotation........please share. I love that type of wkout. Thanks again!!

An MWT rotation? Yes, please share! I love that stuff, and yes, Toby is great at it, as is Patrick. Toby's DVDs are all excellent, except for his music: it is either too soft, too repetitive and/or fails to motivate. So, you have to try and ignore it and just get into the groove with Toby and his lively personality: "OK team!" every few minutes. He has good rapport with his background exercisers. He's a friendly guy, but he sure does sweat a lot! I keep telling him to stop for a second and wipe down!!!

Clare

So based on the info given here, I bought Toby's "Afterburn". WOW!!!! I can feel it in my butt today! It was excellent. I love the format and the moves. Very nice workout and I appreciate all the input from my fellow Cathletes!

Clare....maybe 10 minutes into the workout, Toby had sweat coming off of him like he was standing in a downpour!!! I think I started to towel off just looking at him. He works hard and made me work hard too! Yikes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.