To the educated crowd

sunnygirl

Hi everyone, i'm hoping that one of you out there will be able to answer some questions i have. I've been exercising for a while and have built up some muscle but have a not so nice
sad.gif
layer of fat to surround it. After reading other posts and Cathe's responses concerning proper diet, i have come to the conclusion that consulting a nutrionist may help me trim the fat. I'm somewhat apprehensive about this and not sure how to go about it. Did some of you find a nutrionist through the phone book or word of mouth? Did you find the investment worthwhile? Did it pay off in the long run? What do you think were the pros and cons? I know i'm asking for alot here(so much to answer), but i would truly appreciate any feedback on this one.
happy.gif

Thanks,
Trina

Finding a nutritionist

My suggestion would be to ask your primary care doctor for a referral. Typically doctors will know who's well-regarded in a given area. You would want to make sure to find someone who's a member of the American Dietetic Association (ADA), which is the leading membership/educational association for nutritionists in the country. If you don't have a primary care doctor, there are usually nutritionists working at hospitals, especially in conjunction with cardiac programs. Good luck!

finding a nutritionist

Hi Trina!

I found mine by going to the ADA's website at www.eatright.org. You put in your zip code, and they give you a list of RD's in your area and what their specialties are
happy.gif
. They list their phone numbers and emails, so you can get in touch with them and ask about fees before you make an appointment.

Unfortunately, my company's insurance coverage doesn't pay for nutritional counseling, so I'm paying for this myself. Luckily, I was able to find someone who didn't charge outrageous rates ($80 for the initial consultation, plus $45 for follow-ups, or $25 for email follow-ups).

Good luck!
happy.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.