To gray or not to gray.

fitdeb

Cathlete
I have been coloring my dark brown hair for what seems like centuries, well okay, in reality - decades. Frankly I am tired of it, but somewhat frightened of stopping. I would say, judging from my roots, I am about 50% gray so growing it out will be challenging.

I am a personal trainer/health coach and up until 2 years ago, most of my clients were chronologically younger than me by 10 - 30 years. Now I only work with a few clients and they are my age or older.

I guess at this point in my life I am more concerned about how I will feel when I look in the mirror than I am with the first impression others may have of me.

Any advice you all could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Debbie

I can't speak for myself as I don't dye my hair, I'm just letting it go gray naturally, but my mother always dyed her hair. She dyed it dark brown but at a certain point she got tired of the gray roots showing through and on the advice of her hairdresser started to dye her hair blonde. The gray roots weren't as obvious and she could go longer between treatments. Eventually when she was fully gray she just let it grow out.

I will be a redhead like Lucy Ball, in my 70s.
Maybe someday I'll let myself go gray, but not for the near future.
I may be a grandma, but I don't want to look like one yet.

I always say be your authentic self and do what makes you (and no one else!!) happy. I will never dye my hair and it is slowly going gray but I kind of don't have hair. I shave it down to almost nothing every 2 weeks. I've dealt with so many negative comments over the years. Yes, people will tell me I'm ugly to my face! But I wear my hair the way I do because I like it and it is totally me. Whatever you ultimately decide, be true to yourself. You do you!

If the idea of switching abruptly makes you nervous then I suggest you do what friends I know have done. With the help of a skilled hairstylist they slowly adjusted to lighter browns , OR mixes of brown/blonde highlights. Then they transition to what Hazlady's mother did by increasing proportions of blonde which eventually transitions to all gray.

It will give you time mentally to adjust as well as those around you.

I decided to ditch the coloring around the time we went into lock down and at this point it's all grown out. I'm retired, so between not working and not going out much, I didn't really care what it looked like in transition. It's pretty much all gray now, about shoulder length, but I discovered I have random areas still growing in brown. Adds some nice contrast and my grays also vary in color. I refer to it as variegated. LOL And since I keep it straight, I learned to trim it myself. But, I've long been very low maintenance when it comes to hair.

I transitioned to gray over the last year. got tired of scheduling long appts for the every 5 week grow out line. not entirely gray yet but majority. I had my stylist do blond highlights so I avoided the "skunk line" grow out. I only needed it highlighted one time, have let it grow out with trims every few months. made a surprisingly pleasant look that eased the adjustment. I am still somewhat "variegated" , but not as hard an adjustment as I thought. I'm overall happy with the change. I ended up with a nice silvery color with some brown bits in parts . I like not dealing with grow out lines and long appointments. I find silver and gray hair attractive, and better than bad color.

I think you hit the nail on the head with not caring what others think but most importantly how do you feel. The idea of the lighter color until your mostly gray sounds good, or never go gray. Whatever feels good to you.

You've already gotten the best advice here in having a skilled colourist gradually go lighter, and without brassiness (they'll use proper toner). Also, get yourself some of that blueish conditioner.
I started going white/not grey pretty young at about 24. I also haven't done anything at all with my hair since covid closures and am contemplating the same decision. I honestly find hair care soooo expensive, it's nuts. I'm not saying the profession isn't worth paying someone fairly for. It most certainly is and cutting, colouring etc. Requires talent. I just think in my neck of the woods, the overhead costs are so much, that they have to charge everyone at least $230 (not including tip).

I have been coloring my dark brown hair for what seems like centuries, well okay, in reality - decades. Frankly I am tired of it, but somewhat frightened of stopping. I would say, judging from my roots, I am about 50% gray so growing it out will be challenging.

I am a personal trainer/health coach and up until 2 years ago, most of my clients were chronologically younger than me by 10 - 30 years. Now I only work with a few clients and they are my age or older.

I guess at this point in my life I am more concerned about how I will feel when I look in the mirror than I am with the first impression others may have of me.

Any advice you all could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Debbie
You will know when you are ready. It took me a long time to decide to go gray. My hair is a lot healthier since I have long hair. Be comfortable in your own skin, whatever that means to you!! Do you, and be happy!!❤️

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.