To anyone in the path of the hurricane

firemedic

Cathlete
I just wanted to stay good luck and be safe to anyone in the path of the hurricane set to it FL this week. I just finished my prep and now it's just a waiting game to see where it hits. I got hit by Hurricane Charley back in 2004, eye went over my house as a Cat. 4. I live in Port Charlotte so I am still in the cone and some of the plots still have it coming here. I'll be praying for anyone in it's path.

I just wanted to stay good luck and be safe to anyone in the path of the hurricane set to it FL this week. I just finished my prep and now it's just a waiting game to see where it hits. I got hit by Hurricane Charley back in 2004, eye went over my house as a Cat. 4. I live in Port Charlotte so I am still in the cone and some of the plots still have it coming here. I'll be praying for anyone in it's path.
Please stay safe! I live in Houston, Texas, so I know a thing or two about hurricanes, tropical storms and floods. Sending prayers to everyone in its path.

Well, once again, I had a category 4 hurricane go right over my house. We stayed during the whole storm this time and it was the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced. We were pretty much on the northeast and northwest side of the storm the whole time with a short brief 20 mins in the eye. We had a window break, my garage door bent at the hurricane support beam, my whole fence is gone, and a lot of water in my house because no window can withstand a that kind of wind and rain. It lasted from the afternoon until almost midnight. After spending half the next day trying to clean up but not being able to really do anything because of no power or water, we locked up and went north to Ocala to stay with family. I'm thankful my roof is still on and that no one died in my neighborhood, but my heart goes out to those that lost someone. That was truly the worst thing I have ever been through and would never wish it on anyone. I still feel I'm not right mentally and not physically, esp since I slip on wet floor and really hurt my shoulder. I hope it's just a muscle, but my fear is I tore my rotator cuff. This is the same should that already had a small tear that was repaired about 10 years ago or so. Now I have lots of clean up and some rebuild to do, lost my porch as well, and cannot believe I might not be able to help that much because of my shoulder. Sorry to be going on but I just kind of need to vent and get some feelings out. Hopefully our power will be back on in a few days and can go back home.

Hi there,
My heart broke reading your post. I’m so sorry you went through such a traumatic experience, had damage to your house and injured your shoulder. Please take care of yourself and never feel ashamed about venting and sharing your feelings. We’re like a little family and should always be there for one another whether it’s something workout related or something more personal. I live in Houston, Texas and went through a cat 3 hurricane Ike in 2008 and was without power for 2 weeks but had no damage to my house. In 2017, hurricane Harvey hit the Texas coast and we got 51 inches of rain over a few days but thankfully we weren’t affected by the flooding which devastated a lot of the Houston area. Sending love and prayers to you and everyone in Florida who’s recovering from that awful storm.

I'm so sorry for what you went through. I'm glad you're alive and basically well, and I hope your shoulder injury is something that can heal on it's own and quickly. It had to be scary and devastating to be there watching the damage happen to your home. I'm glad you have family that you can stay with while you get things sorted out. What a mess. It will be okay. It doesn't seem like it now, but it will. My thoughts are with you and all that have been affected by this. I hope you have the time to regroup mentally before you have to deal with the clean-up. I'm sure your shoulder will recover, even if you need the help of doctors. Focus on your mental well-being. You've been through a traumatizing and exhausting event. I don't suppose the insurance company can take care of the clean-up? I don't know how home insurance works in that type of event. I live in an area where tornados are an issue. I've had some scary close calls, but never been hit, so I haven't had to personally deal with insurance company.

Thank you for all the kind words. I returned home on Thursday because our power came back on. My dogs have finally started to act more normal now, even without having their whole back yard back yet. We've begun the slow process off fixing things. Most of out vinyl fence is back up except for 6 sections and we think we have enough material that we may only need to buy 1 or 2 sections, that saves us a lot of money. I was able to get a replacement window built locally, which turns out to be a much better and cheaper window than the one we had from Homedepot. I've picked up pretty much all the yard debris and construction debris from out yard and move everything to the front for pickup eventually. I don't know if my palm trees will come back from this. We still have to put on a back porch and fix our garage door. So most everything is pretty close to being back to normal. My should did start to feel better the week I was away, but of course I can't let my husband do everything, so I was help with lots of stuff and now it is stiff again. But we are taking a few days off from things because we both need the rest and rehydrate. My internet keeps going in and out, but that's not a big problem since I do have power and water back. Don't know when I will be able to get back to working out with Cathe, but now we are just taking it one day at a time.

Wow, thanks for the update on your status. My older sister was in Puerto Rico for Hurricane Hugo in 1989 - she was so traumatized she moved back to Michigan. So difficult ... sort of like a fire... glad you're safe.

Today was the first day that I have been able to do a Cathe workout since 3 days before the hurricane hit. We are pretty much done with all the work, just a few minor things that we are waiting for much cooler weather to finish. I only did a blender of Cathe's bands workouts for upper body because I'm still dealing with my left shoulder. It did feel good to do the workout this morning and later I'm going to do some yoga/stretching to help more. Hopefully within within a week or so I'll be able to start with minor weights but I will be taking it slow. Thanks for all the support.

Today was the first day that I have been able to do a Cathe workout since 3 days before the hurricane hit. We are pretty much done with all the work, just a few minor things that we are waiting for much cooler weather to finish. I only did a blender of Cathe's bands workouts for upper body because I'm still dealing with my left shoulder. It did feel good to do the workout this morning and later I'm going to do some yoga/stretching to help more. Hopefully within within a week or so I'll be able to start with minor weights but I will be taking it slow. Thanks for all the support.
Firemedic, I'm so glad that things are looking up for you. I hope you had a chance to see your doctor about your shoulder? It sounds like you haven't had much time for yourself, but it would be a good idea to get assurance from your doctor that it will heal on its own or find out if you need physical therapy. I wish you a full recovery, and I'm glad your home survived. It sounds like you and your husband got an amazing amount of work done in a short period of time. I dread barre workouts, because I'm not much for that burning sensation in my butt (DOMs or whatever), but Cathe's Turbo Barre would be a great workout for avoiding overusing the shoulder. I think your plan of doing yoga is a great one. I find it mentally relaxing in addition to all of the benefits it provides for the body (flexibility, strength, balance, etc.). It would be a great way to mentally recover from all you've been through while doing something great for your body. It's good to know that you're okay. Thanks for keeping us updated. :)

Firemedic, I'm so glad that things are looking up for you. I hope you had a chance to see your doctor about your shoulder? It sounds like you haven't had much time for yourself, but it would be a good idea to get assurance from your doctor that it will heal on its own or find out if you need physical therapy. I wish you a full recovery, and I'm glad your home survived. It sounds like you and your husband got an amazing amount of work done in a short period of time. I dread barre workouts, because I'm not much for that burning sensation in my butt (DOMs or whatever), but Cathe's Turbo Barre would be a great workout for avoiding overusing the shoulder. I think your plan of doing yoga is a great one. I find it mentally relaxing in addition to all of the benefits it provides for the body (flexibility, strength, balance, etc.). It would be a great way to mentally recover from all you've been through while doing something great for your body. It's good to know that you're okay. Thanks for keeping us updated. :)
I already had surgery on that shoulder so I have been doing the exercises that I did in physical therapy back then and it has made a great difference already. I just thought it was time to add some light resistance and then work my way back into light weights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.