Tipping the Mailman

dogs2birds

Cathlete
My DH has been selling TONS of stuff on eBay lately (selling old - to him - camera stuff and buying new - to him - camera stuff) and so our mailman has been having to drive up to our house to pick it up quite regularly. DH has an online account with the post office and prints his own labels and pays online. We are in the county and are about 1/4 mile from the mailboxes. So, I would like to tip our mailman for Christmas. I thought about cash, but is that tacky? Then I thought about a $20 gift card to Target, but he's a guy - about 25 or 30. Would $20 cash be better? What do you all think? Then I was reading about tipping and people seem to give only $5-10, but I think that's hardly worth it. I know having to drive up here really slows down his day. And we're expecting up to 12 inches of snow tomorrow and our driveway goes up a big hill!

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Cash is best here. I give $25.00 as my mailman always takes boxes up to the door and rather than leaving them on the street. It shows appreciation and with cash they can use it any way they want.

it's illegal for him to take cash!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i would think gift cards fall under the "any form"... as they really ARE cash)

from the USPS site:

Gifts to Postal Service Employees

While many Postal Service™ customers have traditionally thanked their letter carrier with gifts of cash during the holiday season, this practice puts our employees at risk of violating federal law. The Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch ("Standards"), specifies that Postal Service employees may not accept gifts from outside sources (including Postal Service customers) or gifts given to them because of their official positions. Postal Service employees are also prohibited from soliciting gifts from outside sources.

There are a number of exceptions and exclusions to the general gifts rule. Postal Service employees may accept the following items:

Snacks and beverages that are not offered as part of a meal.
Items with little intrinsic value (i.e., greeting cards, plaques, pens, coffee mugs, etc.).
Perishable items (i.e., flowers, chocolates, cookies, etc.); if the items are clearly worth more than $20, employees should share them with others in the Postal Service workplace.
Items with a market (retail) value of $20 or less.
Gifts motivated solely because of a personal relationship.
Gifts for which the employee has paid market (retail) value.
Gifts paid for by the Postal Service.

Postal Service employees may not accept cash - in any amount or form (bills, checks, money orders) - from an outside source.

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

While what you say is true by the letter of the law, tipping the letter carrier $20 or less is not going to get anyone in trouble.

Those laws are written for all federal employees, it is to prevent a "fed" from giving you favoritism or patronage when it comes to services. Your carrier is hardly in a position to offer political favoritism.

I don't have a letter carrier but I have a Post master and 3 clerks at my local PO. Thursday, I'll be delivering them each a loaf of homemade Challah.

I am not a carrier but I am a postal worker (electronics tech).

Is he young and hot? (See Shelley's post from a couple of weeks ago regarding the same subject!)

I say tip him $20.00. This whole tipping thing bothers me every year, who and how much?! Anyhow, some people you are suppose to tip (garbage man/newspaper man) I never tip. Our cans are usually in the street and the paper is wet. Anyhow, your mailman seems to be great! Melissa

As a worker (not carrier) I can say they appreciate all gifts. As do all the workers for the post office. If you give them cash they don't come in saying so and so gave some money as a gift. They keep it hush and to themselves so no one gets in trouble.

:)

I actually listened to a radio interview with a "tipping expert" on just this topic last week. The woman interviewed mentioned the law about accepting cash, and the $20 limit. According to her a gift card was "the way to go" with your mail carrier.

I tipped mine $40 and a package of homemade cookies - a lot? Probably. But he replaced my old psychotic postal lady who was the worst thing that ever came across the civil service protection. So I hope this guy never leaves.

Lorrie

Pain is temporary - quitting lasts forever
Candace Grasso, CC-V-6

wow! who knew there were so many law breakers on cathe.com! lol!

and what's that old saying about integrity being doing the right thing when noone is looking.... or something like that??????????? so it sounds like none of our fearless postal people have much integrity since they'll break the law to keep money they aren't supposed to accept!!

:eek:

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

That same carrier that accepted the illegal gift is the same carrier that picked up food for the Letter Carriers food drive. A non postal authorized (but tolerated by management) activity.

Some of those carriers actually donate their "tips"

We are not all criminals.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.