Thumb joint pain question

firemedic

Cathlete
I've been having pain right at my thumb joint going into the palm of my hand. It's mostly bothers me when I do anything on my hands (pushups, yoga). It's almost like my hand doesn't want to lay flat at my thumb. Has anyone else had anything like this? If so, what is it? I'm seeing my Dr. next week but was wondering what it could be ahead of time and if there's anything I can do at home to make it better. I've tried looking it up, but too many options come up. Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kim

I have the same in my left thumb joint. Mine is from Years of a repetitive movement (turning a large 7 inch long key in a lock). it flares up from time to time. I can go for months without any pain, then for no apparent reason it will swell and throb. I believe mine is carpel tunnel. Please let me know what you find out.

I've been having similiar issues with my left thumb/hand. This post was helpful to me. I have carpal tunnel issues in my right hand sometimes ... the symptoms are different for me.

Thanks so much. I thought I saw something before about this issue. I've tried adding extra padding to my hand in various locations, but nothing seems to help. I guess I'll just have to wait until my appointment Wed. I just hope I don't have to stop working out again. That has been happening too many times for me this past year with a few different other health issues and then having to help take care of my grandfather (93 yrs old) after my grandmother passed away (91 yrs old). It's was really hard for him and I was the only one he wanted to stay with him. But now that he found an assisted living facility that he likes, I was finally able to get back to my routines. It just seems like something is constantly interfering with my workouts this past year.

Firemedic, sorry to hear things have been rather difficult lately.

A couple of other ideas ... Cathe uses a "thumbless grip" in some exercises on the bench & although I was initially concerned about safety with the heavy weights, it actually helps with the pain. The wrist wraps while lifting also help some. Using a compression glove during cardio helps. Using small dumbells for push-ups helps. I recently saw a recommendation to put a folded towel on the floor and have your thumbs off the towel and fingers and palm on it for things like downward dogs & planks ... I haven't tried it yet but intend to. I wear a brace at night... not sure whether it helps or not. Like you, I'm willing to use accommodations to allow me to keep working out. HTH, Deb

I have ended up using push up bars and my thumb pain is gone. I change thumb positions sometimes when lifting heavy, but using the push up bars completely removed the aggravation I was having. I use them in yoga too.

I have ended up using push up bars and my thumb pain is gone. I change thumb positions sometimes when lifting heavy, but using the push up bars completely removed the aggravation I was having. I use them in yoga too.
Thanks, I'll look into those. I just had my x ray Friday, so hopefully I'll know something by early next week.

Firemedic I hope you find out what the issue is.
Btw I use BOSU pods for yoga and makes all the difference. Those pushup bars OSUtxgirl referenced look interesting!
I looked at those, are they hard to balance on for yoga? I just don't want to loose my balance. If not, I'll give those a try. The x ray showed an old injury (high school volleyball) but nothing new or broken. They think I just really flared things up and just need to take time to heal. They suggested steroids and a brace for now also. Thanks for all the info from everyone here.

Firemedic and Katie Lee. sorry to read about your thumb issues.
Thanks for the suggestions OSUtxgirl, Lady Vol Fan and Debinmi.
This time last year I couldn't even use my left hand so I've made progress.
Surgery was recommended by my OT this past February if I want to use my left hand for any body weight workouts.
I have a Push Brace for my left CMC joint but it really doesn't fit under my gloves so right now I use KT Sport tape around the joint. Pricy but I can feel the support. After going through tons of weight lifting gloves I now use Waggs with the wrist wrap for weight lifting and I sized up from what they say to use. I have long fingers and an extra long thumb! Who knew? Sometimes I also use a brand called Grips as well. It's slow changing the Grips out but they seem to help keep me from over gripping my dumb bells. No push ups yet or I'll flare. I want to finish STS Meso 3 (very slow as I also have an autoimmune arthritis that will flare from over use) and then transition to Cathe's new Band Series and then get a second opinion about CMC joint surgery.
I also learned that my CMC joint damage used to be called Mommy Thumb. Women get it in there non dominant hand from a life time of opening jars and doing repetive motions. It's eccentric movement I belive. Who knew?

Cocob1 I am glad to hear you have found a way to manage and still lift. I look forward to hearing good news when you go back for another opinion.

Firemedic I don't think they're hard to balance on the BOSU pods..but I also know that balance is an individual ability. I will say that having my hands in a natural grip instead of flat on the ground is more comfortable for me.

Instead of using the pods, you might also think about not having your hands all the way to the ground in yoga..so you're reducing the percentage of your body weight that your wrists have to manage. Using a step bench would work.

I've been trying some different hand variations and using different "tools" to help. I've noticed that using my yoga blocks more helps reduce the joint discomfort. I'll just have to see how things progress. Thanks for all the information everyone.

I've been having pain right at my thumb joint going into the palm of my hand. It's mostly bothers me when I do anything on my hands (pushups, yoga). It's almost like my hand doesn't want to lay flat at my thumb. Has anyone else had anything like this? If so, what is it? I'm seeing my Dr. next week but was wondering what it could be ahead of time and if there's anything I can do at home to make it better. I've tried looking it up, but too many options come up. Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kim
In a similar situation, I was having discomfort and my doctor recommended that I see a chiropractor because diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome can be difficult because the exact cause is often unknown, but chiropractors specializing in nerve entrapment disorders like carpal tunnel syndrome and can treat the underlying problem. I consulted a chiropractic therapist nearby and he stated that these symptoms, were caused by anomalies in the upper spine, often known as your cervical spine. My nerve pressure and discomforts were relieved thanks to chiropractic therapy. Chiropractic therapy may entail gentle wrist or elbow manipulation if your issues are caused by pressure in your carpal tunnel.

I have arthritis in hands/wrists. flat hand position is uncomfortable. I use the edges of a standard step bench to do triceps push ups. cathe does them this way in at least one workout. it was the first time I could get my elbows to stay tucked in, so it's perfect for me.
I use the feet of a standard bench as a base for push ups. the feet are 2.5 inches high and wide. I do standard push ups and knee push ups using the bench feet as hand holds. the bench is solid and can be butted against a wall to avoid sliding or moving. I do the same with a step. also gloves with a wrist wrap.

I also use a wrist brace at night. holds wrist in a neutral position to rest.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.