Thoughts on hard core series

Love this series, esp the gym style workouts. I always get DOMS when I do those, they are great weight lifting. Kickmax is awesome, but I love Cathe's boxing/kickboxing workouts. If you do get it, make sure that the Hardcore Extreme is with it. It contains 3 INTENSE workouts that combine most of the workouts (except the gym style ones). My fav is the Interval Blast plus Legs. It combines IMAX 3 and Kickmax. This series also contains one of the best circuit workouts, High Step Challenge.

I agree with Firemedic! These are excellent workouts. Each offers its own unique challenge. And THEY ARE CHALLENGING. IMAX 3.....phew! But def make sure it has the "hardcore extreme" included. It's a DVD with 3 different workouts that are compilations of some of the other wkouts. So they have a different feel to them. Def worth it to get the whole set! Plus you get to use some of your equipment, makes it fun! I believe it's the only set that has a seperate stretch DVD too...very nice!!!

Have you thought of signing up for Cathe's on demand for one month only ($20) to run through a bunch of her workouts to see which ones you really want to buy? I bought a lot of the hardcore dvd's but found I could not get my head around the step choreography e.g. Imax 2 and 3. I also bought the hardcore extreme dvd and traded it due to all the choreography. If you are a stepper then you will have no issues. I am step challenged and prefer more functional moves.

I agree with Firemedic! These are excellent workouts. Each offers its own unique challenge. And THEY ARE CHALLENGING. IMAX 3.....phew! But def make sure it has the "hardcore extreme" included. It's a DVD with 3 different workouts that are compilations of some of the other wkouts. So they have a different feel to them. Def worth it to get the whole set! Plus you get to use some of your equipment, makes it fun! I believe it's the only set that has a seperate stretch DVD too...very nice!!!

I have the three Gym Styles and Muscle Max, which are upfront and center next to my precious STS. I have never heard of Hardcore Extreme. Need to check this out, but I have a feeling its going to involve the step which I pretty much sub-out.

I have the three Gym Styles and Muscle Max, which are upfront and center next to my precious STS. I have never heard of Hardcore Extreme. Need to check this out, but I have a feeling its going to involve the step which I pretty much sub-out.

Yes it does: sections from Imax 3 sprinkled throughout, and that's step based. I don't think you NEED this DVD: you can make up tough compilations and mash ups for yourself since you have Kickmax, Muscle Max and a whole host of Cathe plyo DVDs, right? I dunno. It never interested me, I sold mine long time back.

I actually prefer the Intensity Series for versatility. I get more use from the individual DVDs in it: Imax 2, Boot Camp, Muscle endurance, Pyramids, Cardio and Weights. All useful stuff, can all be modified to suit, added to other workouts, etc. I hardly ever reach for my Hardcore DVDS. And the music of Imax 2 out-rocks that of Imax 3 any day, so it peps you up while you bust a gut!

Clare

I like the entire cathe collection and I love variety. I do not dwell in past stuff which worked without trying new dvd, new training technics
etc.... EACH THEIR OWN way of thinking ;-)

I love hardcore series. The only dvd I have not tried as yet is hardcore extreme. I won't trade it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
IMAX3, is a what I call a phewie tough goodie. It is for plyo and Hiit lovers.
if is a phewie workout for lungs and guts. Not everyone cup of tea but there is few of us here who love it.
it is fun and I always look forward to interval #7. if you have the ability to embrace the challenge and attempt IMAX3,
you could be hooked and build up to embark on another hardcore called To the max and CCC (Cardio core circuit).
Everyone need fun to keep the motivation and enthusiam around.

You need IMAX3 for fun fun fun and health (=plyo help to improve bone density facing aging process :oops::oops:).
Hiit is known for improving V02 max faster then moderate cardio.
Who on earth would not want to get fitter and faster:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://cathe.com/high-intensity-exercise-better-heart-moderate-intensity-exercise.

HTH in making a decision to purchase or not.

Last edited:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Gym Styles! I bought it a few years back because Fitness Freak mentioned it would be a good option for those of us that were saving up for STS. I am so glad I listened to her! I have added Muscle Max, High Step Challenge, and Stretch Max during the past 4 months or so and love them too! (BTW, I was able to get STS during an insane Daily Deal/Coupon thingy and feel that Gym Styles helped me get to fitness level I needed in order to tackle STS).

Another favourite of mine from Hardcore series is HSC---High step challenge.

This is a great Circuit, interval and Hiit total strength workout.
It is a great metabolic. 68 minutes it last and all muscle group are worked.
There is a band bonus burn at the end of each exercise to cook muscles to exhaustion:D:D

I love the music, especially the track played while doing crazy 8.
Cathe slightly lost her breath while talking. This rarely happen:)

This always leave me with an afterburn.
HSC really is a fast and furious goodie.

Cathe did mention the "speed" during the intro and trust me the speed sky rocking the intensity
reflect throughout the workout from start to finish. Enough said;)

Last edited:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Gym Styles! (BTW, I was able to get STS during an insane Daily Deal/Coupon thingy and feel that Gym Styles helped me get to fitness level I needed in order to tackle STS).

Same here.
I purposely completed a gym style rotation to embark on STS/
My muscles were fried big time;-)

Last edited:
Yes it does: sections from Imax 3 sprinkled throughout, and that's step based. I don't think you NEED this DVD: you can make up tough compilations and mash ups for yourself since you have Kickmax, Muscle Max and a whole host of Cathe plyo DVDs, right? I dunno. It never interested me, I sold mine long time back.

I actually prefer the Intensity Series for versatility. I get more use from the individual DVDs in it: Imax 2, Boot Camp, Muscle endurance, Pyramids, Cardio and Weights. All useful stuff, can all be modified to suit, added to other workouts, etc. I hardly ever reach for my Hardcore DVDS. And the music of Imax 2 out-rocks that of Imax 3 any day, so it peps you up while you bust a gut!

Clare

Thanks Clare...I pulled up the video and saw the step, which is the deal killer for me. I do have all of Cathe's kickboxing, plyo, bootcamp and hiit dvds. Enough to keep me going inside when its a big fat goosegg outside. When its in low digits or negatives, I get a little hesitant on my fatbike because its so dang cold at night! Last couple of weeks have been strangely colder then usual too, and I have been revisiting X10, Core Cardio, To The Max, etc. I'm looking forward to the new ones coming out (I pre-ordered the whole set). Hope you are warm up in Michigan (right?) I'm heading your way most likely to do a few snow races this winter. Its a whopping 2 degrees in bright sun in Minnesota today.

I think you've got a lot of great advice/thoughts in the posts above.
I love the Hardcore series. I'm just coming off a month of Gym Styles and they are outstanding workouts. I'd just finished STS Meso 3 so I sauntered over to Gym Styles all smug and macho, thinking I'd need to seriously heavy up. Let me tell you, Cathe had the last laugh: I had some serious DOMS from Gym Styles!

IMO, it might be worthwhile to try the On Demand service for a month (as another poster suggested already). That way you can 'try before you buy' -- see what workouts you like and make an educated decision. Plus you'll get the Cathe Live workouts and access to the new Ripped with HiiT workouts! (You may just end up sticking with On Demand...)
HTH, Roz

I haven't tried the cardio DVDs from this series but I LOVE the Gym Styles and Muscle Max from this set. My local library had these so I could try them out before buying. I did about a month using these DVDs and my husband even commented on my nice butt! (Normally I have a case if butt-flatitis). Lol

Roz- that's exactly what I did - tried on demand to test out some DVDs, and have ended up staying with it - so convenient! If the new workout blender is a success, I'll probably sell my DVDs.
All this talk of gym styles has made me think its time to pull them out again. I wonder how they'll feel after having just finished Body Beast?

Roz- that's exactly what I did - tried on demand to test out some DVDs, and have ended up staying with it - so convenient! If the new workout blender is a success, I'll probably sell my DVDs.
All this talk of gym styles has made me think its time to pull them out again. I wonder how they'll feel after having just finished Body Beast?

Do let us know how it goes it you pick up Gym Styles. I found GS to be a little on the faster side, rep-wise, but that was after Meso 3 (and comparatively devoid of rest!). Sounds like BB is crazy fast...

I'm SO excited for the online workout blender... the possibilities will be endless!

Do let us know how it goes it you pick up Gym Styles. I found GS to be a little on the faster side, rep-wise, but that was after Meso 3 (and comparatively devoid of rest!). Sounds like BB is crazy fast...

I'm SO excited for the online workout blender... the possibilities will be endless!

Well, I did GS Chest and Tris today - I'm going to feel it tomorrow! I did go up in weight though, on all the exercises, so I was really pleased.

Nice! I love Chest/Tris. Those umpteen push-ups pre-exhaust the chest really nicely.
How did it compare to BB?
I believe I went up (though not by much, and not on all exercises) on chest, back, and bis, but stuck with Cathe's weights on tris and shoulders. (Maybe even dropped down for a shoulder exercise or two.) But these rules hold true for me in most of Cathe's workouts.

It's been a while since I posted. I ended up getting this series and I love it!! I am more of a cardio person so this series has helped me improve my strength training. My husband and I had a good laugh when I tried the levitation sit-ups in the core dvd....long time before that is ever going to happen :) Thanks for all the feedback. It really helped with my decision.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.