Those heavier weights have changed me!

Pippi

Cathlete
My little success is this: I've been trying to advance all year, and moving to Cathe's workouts has encouraged me to get heavier weights...so now, I'm sometimes, in some exercises, lifting up to 20lbs or so. It's hard but it gets a bit less hard (I wouldn't say easier) every time I try. I'd been plateau'd out at no more that 8lbs for a year.

I have this Suzanne Bowen Extreme Barre Amped Muscle Torching DVD - which I still love - and on that there is a 10 minute abs/core routine which was always beyond me - honestly, I hadn't even tried to do it in months because I just thought it was too tight, too intense and I would never make it through without crying. But last week, I finished a workout and felt like doing an abs add-on and I saw that DVD there on the shelf and thought - ok, I'll try - it'll still defeat me, but never mind.

I was stunned when I did it and did it with relative ease. Don't get me wrong, I still felt it, but I wasn't collapsing backwards out of my C-curve or having to stop to shed tears like I'd always done before.

The only thing I can think is that those heavier weights have done that, even when I've not been specifically doing core work the effort of holding them, lifting them...well, I suppose that's no surprise to the more seasoned Cathletes here who always knew the benefits of going heavier. But my core is strengthened and that small success has just made me so happy.

I totally agree with heavier weights! When I started to use heavier weights my arms started to get more defined. But, with anything it is a balance. Jen Den

Well, in many cases I'm still not lifting as heavy as Cathe and the crew - last night I did the Bootcamp from Strong and Sweaty and I was matching weights until the end when you have to go into a plank and from there do the one armed tricep extension. The crew use 10lbs, and I just cannot lift that with my triceps from a plank. I used 8lbs (well - 4kg - I'm British). I only just about made it even with 8s.... :)

My little success is this: I've been trying to advance all year, and moving to Cathe's workouts has encouraged me to get heavier weights...so now, I'm sometimes, in some exercises, lifting up to 20lbs or so. It's hard but it gets a bit less hard (I wouldn't say easier) every time I try. I'd been plateau'd out at no more that 8lbs for a year.

I have this Suzanne Bowen Extreme Barre Amped Muscle Torching DVD - which I still love - and on that there is a 10 minute abs/core routine which was always beyond me - honestly, I hadn't even tried to do it in months because I just thought it was too tight, too intense and I would never make it through without crying. But last week, I finished a workout and felt like doing an abs add-on and I saw that DVD there on the shelf and thought - ok, I'll try - it'll still defeat me, but never mind.

I was stunned when I did it and did it with relative ease. Don't get me wrong, I still felt it, but I wasn't collapsing backwards out of my C-curve or having to stop to shed tears like I'd always done before.

The only thing I can think is that those heavier weights have done that, even when I've not been specifically doing core work the effort of holding them, lifting them...well, I suppose that's no surprise to the more seasoned Cathletes here who always knew the benefits of going heavier. But my core is strengthened and that small success has just made me so happy.
Nice to hear your success story - you should feel so proud of yourself! We can't always measure success by what the scale says. It feels good to be able to complete a workout with good form & without crying!!! Those plank tricep extensions get me everytime too - little by little I'm improving my form.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.